Joe D'Alessandris Appreciation Thread

I just posted this in another thread, but it's wildly relevant here.

You all think the coach made the difference on this offensive line when in the three years prior to this we all agreed that Fitz's fast, decisive reads made them look a lot better than they were...or how we threw to set up the run, which is the opposite of what we do now?

Bills fans are so fast to blame the coaches. Our RT has been in the league for 8 years now, you think he suddenly forgot how to play because the OLine coach wasn't teaching him right?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The sad thing is Brandon is neither a "baseball" or "football" guy. His specialty is marketing. All the more scary that he has total control of football operations in Buffalo and his track record thus far speaks to that.

Russ is the de facto owner of the Bills. Decisions usually reserved for owners are now made by Brandon. How many owners have football pedigrees? Your coach and GM need to be football guys. Owners and Presidents need to be businessmen. I don't see the problem - unless the business guys start meddling in areas where they have no expertize like Jerry Jones does.

I may worry about Whaley's ability to run a football organization and Marrone's ability to coach a football team. I don't worry about Brandon. Not yet, anyway.

If it's not coaching with Pears, what is it? Is he just getting weaker/slower?

Probably. Pears was good in 2011, then got back and hip injuries and his play declined.

I also think the OL coach blame is unwarranted. Glenn and Wood are still good. Urbik and Pears have been injured, and the Bills' FO punted LG for unknown reasons.

Probably. Pears was good in 2011, then got back and hip injuries and his play declined.

I also think the OL coach blame is unwarranted. Glenn and Wood are still good. Urbik and Pears have been injured, and the Bills' FO punted LG for unknown reasons.

Are you still a Miley Cyrus fan, Leelee?

• 3 weeks later...

Bengals vs Chargers game still in the 4th quarter but this game was a prime example that coach D'Allesandris is IMO the best o-line coach in the NFL today. What a job in the run game and pass protection for Phillip Rivers against that stout Bengals defense.

Whats even more mind blowing is that the Chargers lost their starting center the second offensive possession of the game.

Joe has done such an unbelievable job with that o-line. So impressive.

What does Joe know that other coaches (or Marrone, for that matter) don't?

I think he is a master at adapting run blocking scheme and pass protection to personnel. I also think he is a great teacher (technique) and puts out consistently a well disciplined unit.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

It's hard to comprehend how the Bills offensive line went from one of the better lines in the NFL to one of the worst in just one year. Bring back Levitre and Joe D even if you have to pay them DOUBLE! The offensive line is really offensive. Pun intended

Yeah big cat, what else can it be?

I think he is a master at adapting run blocking scheme and pass protection to personnel. I also think he is a great teacher (technique) and puts out consistently a well disciplined unit.

So these same Bills o-lineman (minus Levitre) have forgotten all of what they were taught just a year ago? And Joe's schemes were so unique and difficult to reproduce that Marrone and the current o-line coach simply can't reproduce them?

So these same Bills o-lineman (minus Levitre) have forgotten all of what they were taught just a year ago? And Joe's schemes were so unique and difficult to reproduce that Marrone and the current o-line coach simply can't reproduce them?

Yup. The schemes Marrone, Hackett (not sure who the o-line coach is currently) are totally different than what Gailey and Joe D were doing offensively.

I think you've got it Mr. WEO. You hit the nail on the head. I have to agree Marrone and the current O-line coach can't reproduce them. It really showed in the their play all season. The Offensive line really stunk it up this year. I don't see any hope for this line either. :thumbdown:

Yup. The schemes Marrone, Hackett (not sure who the o-line coach is currently) are totally different than what Gailey and Joe D were doing offensively.

But these guys aren't rookies. Do they really need to learn totally new techniques, ie moves that they were not familiar with at all just because there is a new play book?

But these guys aren't rookies. Do they really need to learn totally new techniques, ie moves that they were not familiar with at all just because there is a new play book?

For sure. But when you apply new schemes it might fit certain personnel better than others. I think we saw this with the o-line unit as well as CJ spiller this year.