A Football Life: Houston 93'

BADOLBILZ

Watched this the other day. Loved it. Lotta' Bills stuff in there, of course.

First of all.....it was nice having a Bills team that was in the head of their opponent the way the Bills were in Houston's in the year of 1993.

Lots of reference to the Comeback......of course, but reference to the regular season beating the Bills gave them too.

I remember watching them go on that then-epic win streak and wondering if they weren't destined to meet the Bills in the AFC Championship.

A couple other things: Mike Munchak sound A LOT like Jim Kelly. GW looks like a douche with his goatee. Gilbride was funny......he is STILL pissed about not getting revenge on Buddy. His personality is clearly such that he can be easily f*cked with. Buddy missed with his punch, but people were like "OHHHHH!" and Gilbride is still mad. Hilarious.

Mike Holovak: "Just the name Buffalo should bring out the best in us".........how funny would that sound if a team said that now.

They probably won't replay the post-show show......but it was funny hearing Sean Jones say he jinxed the Oilers by ordering chicken wings (they kept showing Duff's shots) at 1 am the night before the Comeback game after the team had agreed NOT to do so because they always gorged themselves on wings before games in Buffalo and had played poorly.

It really seemed like an indictment of Jack Pardee. If that team had some real leadership from the top they might have done something.

Pardee was like a pseudo-Levy. That whole team was a pseudo-Bills. Lots of talent, lots of personality, but dumber and with less leadership than the Bills. Pardee played the clueless substitute teacher role that Levy played.....but Levy played it better. He had a little fire. Pardee was a flat-liner.

I almost forgot maybe the funniest part........former Buffalo Bills ST coaching legend, and then Oilers assistant, "Pump it Up" Ronnie Jones.

After Buddy threw the punch at Gilbride he told Buddy he needed to be ready to address it with the media.......and Buddy paused and said "Maybe nobody saw it". :lol:

I almost forgot maybe the funniest part........former Buffalo Bills ST coaching legend, and then Oilers assistant, "Pump it Up" Ronnie Jones.

After Buddy threw the punch at Gilbride he told Buddy he needed to be ready to address it with the media.......and Buddy paused and said "Maybe nobody saw it". :lol:

I just turned it on......LOL........the Oilers announcer was hilarious. "Ladies and Gentlemen the fat lady is singing on another Houston Oilers season!" :lol:

Dumb team, dumb owner. I miss the days when a hapless owner could just have his team replenished by parity. It's no mistake that Ralph's team has gotten worse as younger, self-made type billionaires now rule the landscape.

Edited by BADOLBEELZ

This Oiler team had a run of poor playoff performances then. The '91 season ended in Denver; they were ahead but Elway led that comeback from his own 2-yard line (again), converting a couple of 4th downs to get into field goal range for David Treadwell to hit the game winner with little room to spare- 26-24. The '92 season was stopped by the Bills in the Wild Card comeback; and the '93 season was documented with Montana leading the Chiefs to a comeback win in the Astrodome (What I remember most about that game was Montana had a ruptured Bursa Sac on his throwing elbow and it looked like a golf ball was stuck under his skin). The Bills have had some terrible luck over the years but Houston had that three-year stretch that must have been agonizing for their fans; two different eras of Oiler football that couldn't win the big one and get to the Super Bowl (Bum, Pastorini and Earl Campbell in the late-'70s).

Edited by Mike In Illinois