Has technology marginalized the NFL?

patfitz

Let's face it, the days of Vince Lombardi drawing up a power sweep on a chalkboard have long since passed. Yet for the most part, NFL play calling has remained relatively prehistoric, relying on "football IQ", rather than based on probable outcomes. In this age of instant replays, slow motion and multidimensional camera angles it is just a matter of time before artificial intelligence supplants previous experience or gut instincts. I wonder how long will it be before, say sensor technology will be embedded in the "playing field", woven into the fabric of the sidelines and first down markers, so as to "unequivocally" determine whether a player has stepped out of bounds or made enough, after of course calculating the forward progress, to make a crucial first down.

I, personally applaud the Bills' front office, for creating an analytics dept. I do believe that this is a positive step in the forward thinking direction, and therefore I am cautiously optimistic, looking forward to the end results. I, however, recognize that this is not something that necessarily happens overnight and as Bills' head coach Marrone has indicated, that he "obviously" believes that to be effective, it has to be "obviously" designed internally. In other words, this requires building the knowledge base in a not such an "obvious" manner. That part, I also understand. But I also obviously hope that this can be ultimately used to, not only assist in not so "obvious" play selection, and as part of determining what are "obvious" formations on both sides of the ball, when to run, run to blitz etc.but also when to defer on kicking off or receiving, when to challenge a call, go for it on 4th down or punt, all of the options.

I also suspect that, it won't be long before the "Sharpie" and whiteboard are replaced (e.g. the placards that are used to diagram the plays and highlight the options available in a particular down and distance scenario) and also conveniently serve to conceal the signaling and verbal as well as hand gestures of those who are actually calling the plays. Yet doesn't it seem just a bit archaic? How soon will this be replaced by the latest "IPOD like" device and helmet embedded bluetooth or whatever (oh wait that part is already in place, wonder how soon it will be before holograms are adopted. It may ultimately fix the QB protection problem, after all you can't injure a hologram can you? Or is it 15 yards for unnessary photoshopping...). Stop it already you say! This is too far fetched, that it willl never happen in my lifetime. After all we have all heard it before (see the World is flat. I mean you don't realy believe that Copernicus fellow now, do you? ).

The truth be told, the proverbial "camel", already has his nose firmly "embedded" in the professional sporting world tent. Technology has in itself undeniably leapfrogged the ability of one, two or three people, or make it four with special teams coaches, etc. to effectively deal with the increasing complexitiy of the game or the "techno sport", as I prefer to call it. And it is already too late to go back in time as much as some may wish. You can't "uninvent" progress. I firmly believe, that it won't be too long, before officiating will be largely automated. By using a combination of robotics, sensor technology (embedded in uniforms, in head cams, etc.) we can effectively replace the decision making prowess of even say an expertly trained official. So why not be the innovator and start to "adapt or die", we all know the doctrine of survival of the fittest. If the Bills can embrace the future now rather than later there is a good chance (e.g. high statistical probability) that, not only will the current historic playoff drought end, but for a time the technocentric Bills will be dominating the league. I can just envision Chris Berman saying "nobody circles the cosmos like the Bufallo Bills", at least until the rest of the NFL or IFL (international or intergallacitcal Football League, etc.) catches on. Who after all needs an NFL team in LA, Toronto or London, for that matter, when you can have all of Mars? But technology changes almost at the speed of light (maybe faster) and so, therein, lies the conundrum. For example, just recently some renowned Japanese physicists proposed a theory that the Universe, " as we have come to know it" could very well be just an astral projection, some type of celestial hologram. What a mind blowing concept! At least there is always good old fashioned football to serve as a diversion! Here is for a Bills' victory in the "Techno Bowl" in 2025! , Personally, for the time being, I will settle for just "old school" analytics.

P.S. Before the usual suspects post their patently derisive responses (i.e, if you find this to be all too mentally challenging to contempate please defer), I implore you to first stop and think. Do you "DVR games", are aware of "All access 21", etc? If so, you are officially technologically empowered, whether you like it or not. You are welcome to disagree but how about offering a logical rebuttal. Is that really too much to ask? After all a mind is a terrible thing to waste, at least from what I heard tell.

Edited by patfitz

A tad wordy, but to the question; the game and the League continue to rule the US sports world in popularity and endorsements. I'm old enough to have been thrilled to see all the snow games last week, where the new, improved(?) pristine TV look of the 'product' couldn't match wits with Mother Nature. Even Mrs. Chandler remarked 'Now THAT's football!', when we flipped channels to the Philly game. This said, technology still managed to 'image in' the yard markers, which the players and fans in the seats couldn't discern. Like it of not, technology truley enhances the product and the profits.

I'm hoping for a blizzard in NYC for the 1st ever, outdoor northern stadium Super Bowl. Now THAT would be football!

Point noted. Thank you

Agreed. Thank you!

Cheers. With the effects of technology - it's an interesting evolution and we are just starting to scratch the surface of how it'll effect the game. Scouting, optimizing player development, play calling, game planning, officiating, even stadium design. I've seen a lot of talks here in New Orleans about the tech that Mickey Loomis, and Sean Payton use and it's cool to see the evolution but I know I can also be quoted on here as saying its sad to see the sandlot, every mans aspect of the game fading a little at the same time.

Sounds like the IT majors were called and the English majors showed up! The one issue with all new technology is humans still have to figure out the right way to use it.

Playbooks have become so complicated that a QB's most important trait may be multi-tasking more than throwing accuracy. Some IT guru might want to replace faceguards with clear face shields with a heads up display so the analytics dept. can send in plays, change plays, or signal where to throw in real time. And in the end Stevie will still drop the catch.

Sounds like the IT majors were called and the English majors showed up! The one issue with all new technology is humans still have to figure out the right way to use it.

Playbooks have become so complicated that a QB's most important trait may be multi-tasking more than throwing accuracy. Some IT guru might want to replace faceguards with clear face shields with a heads up display so the analytics dept. can send in plays, change plays, or signal where to throw in real time. And in the end Stevie will still drop the catch.

Or make the catch and fumble.

I don't understand how your topic question relates to the 901 words that follow (MS Word - yea technology!). You ask if technology is marginalizing the NFL, and as I understand the term "marginalize", you're asking if technology is making the NFL "trivial" or "insignificant". But your post doesn't really state a position relative to the question - but you do make exquisite use of those "quotey" marks :nana:

Technology is enhancing the enjoyment of the game for me, but I don't get the connection in asking if it has "marginalized" the NFL.

P.S. Hang on - I just checked the 3am post time of the OP. NOW I get it! Never mind!

Edited by WotAGuy