problem with passing game

bisonbrigade

Another problem is the OL.

As a unit, the O-Line has been pretty good most of the season. The left guard spot has been an issue all year, but Cordy Glenn has been mostly great and Eric Wood has been solid as usual. Pears and Urbik have been inconsistent, but mostly reliable.

I will say this, though... The O-Line has had 3 really bad games = NY Jets Week 3, Pittsburgh and Tampa Bay. Those also happen to be EJ's worst games of the year.

Go watch the All 22's for EJ's games and you will see receivers wide open time after time, some with lots of running room open. The possibilities why EJ is NOT throwing to them might be: He is afraid to make the throw; he doesn't see the field; he can't "throw the receiver open," or he does not know the routes and therefore can't anticipate where the receivers are going. In any case, it doesn't bode well for him or the Bills.

This. You can't ignore it. EJ either doesn't see the open man or out-and-out misses him when he does throw.

A team that's 5th in the NFL in rushing yards and 3rd in rushing attempts shouldn't look so horribly out of sync, even when it's playing well.

EJ's got some learning to do.

A team that's 5th in the NFL in rushing yards and 3rd in rushing attempts shouldn't look so horribly out of sync, even when it's playing well.

EJ's got some learning to do.

Good to see someone else stating that.

When the run game doesn't work this new Bills OC then turns to the rookie QB to carry the team by passing. EJ was never rated as high as Andrew Luck, and rarely had more then two progressive reads in college. Expecting this rookie to play like a seasoned veteran is unrealistic at this point.

The Bills need that run game to work in every game, all game and need it to be able to control the LoS & clock. The better talent is at RB with Spiller & Jackson, and 22 rushes for 67 yards doesn't cut it against the Buc's. Particularly with only ONE first down by rushing all game, unacceptable to me!

When the run game doesn't work this new Bills OC then turns to the rookie QB to carry the team by passing. EJ was never rated as high as Andrew Luck, and rarely had more then two progressive reads in college. Expecting this rookie to play like a seasoned veteran is unrealistic at this point.

The Bills need that run game to work in every game, all game and need it to be able to control the LoS & clock. The better talent is at RB with Spiller & Jackson, and 22 rushes for 67 yards doesn't cut it against the Buc's. Particularly with only ONE first down by rushing all game, unacceptable to me!

They're getting those yards and those attempts in spite of being boxed-in because EJ makes us one dimensional. Defenses don't fear EJ, and I can't blame them. Like I said, even when the offense is playing well, it still looks ugly. There's no rhythm. EJ doesn't rock and fire.

I agree with that statement only when we face teams that play mostly zone against us, If the run game isn't working the LBs don't commit and they stay in their zones in pass coverage, In that case EJ isn't patient enough for the protection to hold and the routes to develop.

Against the Jets the run game wasn't very effective but because they play mostly man coverage there were more space and that made EJ look more confident.

The question is, will EJ be more patient within the pocket, early results are not positive, he sees or feels pressure that isn't there.

They're getting those yards and those attempts in spite of being boxed-in because EJ makes us one dimensional. Defenses don't fear EJ, and I can't blame them. Like I said, even when the offense is playing well, it still looks ugly. There's no rhythm. EJ doesn't rock and fire.

EJ has one good drive a game. If that. It's been like that since the opener.

Edited by FireChan

Did anyone look at the all-22 write up? On at least two and maybe three of the plays the players simply do not know what the play is. One one it appears EJ is supposed to hand off to Fred as the WR's and o-line run block. On another Woods clearly runs the wrong route.

Is it really that hard to know the plays?

problems with the passing game.....3 and 1, line up in shotgun, 2 wr, 2rb, and 1 te. everybody stays in to block. both receivers run go routes. literally statistically the least probable passing play in football, the go route, we run 2 on 3rd and short regularly, with sometimes no other option. It seems we beat our heads against the wall with all our receivers running the same or similar routes at the same or similar depths. Most of the all 22 posted on here seems to be 3 hook routes or 3 go routes all the time. no slants or posts ever. I don't think we use anywhere near the entire route tree.

Our receivers only exacerbate the problem