Controlling the LOS

Cheddar's Dad

I find myself agreeing with most of the points put forward so far in this thread.......but the root of what matter2003 is saying is undeniable IMO. Having an elite QB(or at least one who can have elite level streaks ala E.Manning & Flacco) is virtually essential to being able to win a SB. It is not to say that the rest of the team building is unimportant.....but in the modern NFL, the teams that win the SB usually do so without an overall solid team(unlike in times past, pre-2000).....and in fact often have glaring weaknesses in their overall play.

Here is an attached word doc showing the statistical rankings for the last 27 SB winning teams.

How to win a Super Bowl1.doc

Though discussing the best way to build the rest of a team in the modern NFL is interesting, ignoring the cap and its ramifications on any particular philosophy makes any such discussions futile IMO. Though there is never a purely direct correlation between dollars spent and talent/production of players, to focus a large amount of the cap on one area invariably means lacking said talent/production in a different area.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find myself agreeing with most of the points put forward so far in this thread.......but the root of what matter2003 is saying is undeniable IMO. Having an elite QB(or at least one who can have elite level streaks ala E.Manning & Flacco) is virtually essential to being able to win a SB. It is not to say that the rest of the team building is unimportant.....but in the modern NFL, the teams that win the SB usually do so without an overall solid team(unlike in times past, pre-2000).....and in fact often have glaring weaknesses in their overall play.

Here is an attached word doc showing the statistical rankings for the last 27 SB winning teams.

How to win a Super Bowl1.doc

Though discussing the best way to build the rest of a team in the modern NFL is interesting, ignoring the cap and its ramifications on any particular philosophy makes any such discussions futile IMO. Though there is never a purely direct correlation between dollars spent and talent/production of players, to focus a large amount of the cap on one area invariably means lacking said talent/production in a different area.

C'mon, man. Football hasn't changed that much over the years. I see a lot of people using the term "Modern NFL". There is an upward trend in passing offenses. I'll give you that. But one thing in football that is and will remain a constant. Teams that succeed deep into the post season have a common theme and it isn't a great QB. It's controlling the line of scrimmage. Since when is Flacco an elite QB?

A very excellent question when you're considering 1. how best to build the Bills into a championship team and, 2. Buffalo may have a very good QB in E.J.

I started this thread with evidence that the best college coach in the country, who obviously knows how to build championship teams, spends significant resources to insure that his O-line remains dominant. I might also have added that Belichick spent two first round picks on Mankins and Solder and a second on Vollmer so he too obviously understands the importance of building a solid O-line. Yet the only response back from the lets draft something else crowd is, I don't care about that, I want my Mapo.

:lol: What you will find CD is that some Bills fans can be belligerent, simply because they can, and want to. Several of the posters in this thread stated before the season started that the O line was fine without LG Andy Levitre, that the RB's would continue their success of 2012 and the line would be a top 5 line for 2013.

Those posters were obviously very wrong, and not only that, some continue to state the line is fine, and one of the best in the NFL, even when most can clearly see it is not. Some state that this team could win a SB with the current players on the line, and yet it could use 3 of 5 upgraded. What is great about this forum is that we get to choose who we care to respond to, and ignore the fans that think the only valid opinion is their own.

This thread was started about controlling the LoS, and not just about having an "elite" QB as the only answer. The last team to win a SB finished 10-6, and got hot in the playoffs. That team also had a very dominate run game scheme. They were #15 in passing yards and #15 points. #12 in rushing attempts and #11 in rushing yards. They won the SB with a known "statue" pocket passing QB who was properly developed in a dominate running offensive scheme. That ultimately became more of a passing scheme.

That 2012 Raven O line, LT Michael Oher (1st rd pick) LG Bobbie Williams, C Matt Birk (all pro from Vikings) RG Marshall Yanda (all pro, 1st round pick) RT Bryant McKinnie (#1 pick & all pro from Vikings) / Kelechi Osemele (2nd round pick)

So, 2 first draft round picks by the Ravens, 2 first round picks, with one also an all pro acquired in free agency. A 2nd round draft pick. Pretty darn solid O line built to control the LoS by running and passing and give the QB ample time to make all the necessary throws. Lets hope the Bills will build one as good for EJ.

In week 14 of the 2012 season the Ravens fired the OC that developed Joe Flacco, and replaced him with the QB coach Jim Caldwell, who was the HC the previous year at Indy Colts (2-14). That OC the Ravens fired was Cam Cameron, who also helped develop QB's Drew Brees and Phillip Rivers. He was also instrumental in building some of the very best power running attacks in the NFL, Chargers RB LaDainain Tomlinson & Ravens RB Ray Rice. The Ravens once dominate run game went into the ceramic convenience this season because of that coaching change JMO.

Maybe you can identify one for us or, better yet, direct us to the Gronk store?

I asked upthread who were the "difference-making guards" in the NFL. I'm still waiting for an answer.

How many did the have on defense? I think I'd rather take my chances with a great QB versus accumulating great talent at other positions, in this case mostly defensive...

FeartheLosing's post was absolutely ridiculous.

The 2000 Baltimore Ravens defense is considered one of the top 2-3 defenses in the history of the NFL.

That team surrendered about 10 points per game during the regular season and allowed only 23 points in 4 playoff games that year. That's less than 6 points per game allowed.

And he's talking about the number of Pro Bowlers on offense.

Except you are asking the wrong question(s)....

Would you rather have Gronk or a DT with a bad back ...because you decided to switch to a 3-4 defense and just had to have a NT.?

Would you rather have a QB or 432 DB's?

This is a team that hasn't had a QB since Kelly retired..but has went 9 years on drafting a QB in the first round ...because there always seemed to be some DB that was a higher priority.

We could have had a kick ass Oline AND a QB, and probably a pro bowl TE.

But what's in the past is in the past...

Good teams...Balt., NE, NO, and now Seattle and SF, seem to invest in their OL...and don't take the attittude of "eh, you can get OL anywhere".

It isn't an either/or type situation.

What Bama does isn't a huge secret, though I imagine tougher to implement than to conceptualize.

While so many other college teams have went nuts with 4 and 5 wide spread offenses...with the hope of outscoring other teams...

...Bama cuts against the grain and builds through defense and their running game.

They find DL big enough to not get pushed around.

The find LB's strong enough to hold up to an OL but are still quick enough to cover;

They build an OL strong enough to pound down a DL;

They get running backs with enough size to break arm tackles at the 2nd level but are still quick enough to turn a corner;

They will have at least one WR with speed enough to get deep and a QB good enough to get the ball downfield, but at the same time not create mistakes.

Though their first option is to run...they have enough of a middle and deep passing game to keep a defense off balance..and exploit a mistake downfield.

1) Torrell Troup has no place in this discussion nor does drafting too many DBs.

2) Back to the subject of offensive lines, the Cleveland Browns start 2 first rounders, 1 second rounder, and 3 third rounders. They're a mediocre team with a mediocre offensive line. All that could change with one good QB.

Of the teams you brought up, the worst two players on the Ravens O-line are both former first rounders. New England starts 2 undrafted free agents and a 5th rounder. New Orleans starts an undrafted free agent and a 7th rounder. Seattle starts 2 7th rounders. San Francisco starts 1 undrafted free agent and a 5th rounder.

Virtuallly every NFL O-line is a composite of high draft picks, low draft picks, and undrafted free agents.

3) It's silly to make arguments about NFL team building based on a college football program.

25 scholarships is not the same as 7 draft picks (of which at least 3 are low-round picks).

Alabama runs the ball 8 more times each game than they pass it.

Here's a few more questions for the O-line fetishists:

1) How many NFL O-lines are better than Buffalo's and who are they?

2) What are the NFL's elite offensive lines and how many of them play with bad QBs?

3) Who are the difference-making guards in the NFL?

4) How many bad quarterbacks have won a Super Bowl in the last 10 years?

5) How many bad O-lines have won a Super Bowl in the last 10 years?

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

C'mon, man. Football hasn't changed that much over the years. I see a lot of people using the term "Modern NFL". There is an upward trend in passing offenses. I'll give you that. But one thing in football that is and will remain a constant. Teams that succeed deep into the post season have a common theme and it isn't a great QB. It's controlling the line of scrimmage. Since when is Flacco an elite QB?

In the playoffs Flacco might be one of the best ever...he morphs from Clark Kent in the regular season into Superman in the playoffs

In the playoffs Flacco might be one of the best ever...he morphs from Clark Kent in the regular season into Superman in the playoffs

You might be right about that for last season, as he did get hot in the playoffs and won the SB MVP.

However, he didn't look like an elite QB his first few years with the Ravens as they won mostly with a top defense and run game. Has Flacco ever been voted to the pro bowl? I wouldn't consider him an "elite" QB, and this season he is proving that in his play without that dominate run attack. I don't think he has even ever been ranked in the top ten QB's in the NFL.

The Ravens are without Anquan Boldin and Dennis Pitta, two of their top 3 receivers from last year.

That's 126 receptions, 1600 yards and 11 TDs in 2012 gone.

Look what happened to Brady earlier this year when he had no weapons.

Look at what's happening to Brady now that he's getting his weapons back.

Gronk has made a huge difference since returning.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

You might be right about that for last season, as he did get hot in the playoffs and won the SB MVP.

However, he didn't look like an elite QB his first few years with the Ravens as they won mostly with a top defense and run game. Has Flacco ever been voted to the pro bowl? I wouldn't consider him an "elite" QB, and this season he is proving that in his play without that dominate run attack. I don't think he has even ever been ranked in the top ten QB's in the NFL.

He's been very good to great in the playoffs for several years now,but I'm the first to say he is an average to below average QB during the season...

He would fit in much better in hockey as Claude Lemieux like player who turns into a superstar during the playoffs

Have a look at the attachment I gave. There is a clear distinction at around the 2000 mark. Prior to then, there was a vast majority of statistical categories where SB winning teams were in the top 10(and a few 11th), with very few double digit rankings....and hardly any were in the 20s+ in any category. Post 2000 there are far fewer single digit rankings(particularly top 5)......and every team had at least one ranking in the 20s+.

As there were several teams with horrible(bottom 7) rushing offenses or run defenses.....plus more with horrible pass D.....I'd say that controlling the LOS is certainly not a common theme.

Maintaining a solid all-round team is virtually impossible in today's salary cap era.

You'll also notice that I left a "?" for Flacco. He is an odd case IMO......merely a decent QB during regular season, but performs like an elite QB post season.

Edited by Dibs

Great QB play is good, always good, no matter how good—or bad—the o-line is. Obviously, if you can get one, get him. Like deodorant, a good/great QB can cover up a lot of bad smells, but the problem is, the bad smell is still there, and given time, will eventually show itself.

Therefore, even better, get your good (or great QB—which by the way, is such a subjective process of evaluating—see the Flacco discussions above; however, mediocre or bad is easy to stop—see the Bills the past 10 years) and surround him with a very good o-line, and now you have a winning combo.

So, if you think the the Bills have a top tier QB now (and I do), time to improve the line play as soon as you can! I say "yes,"draft good lineman "IF" they're available.

The real question now for the Bills will be: If a game changer offensive weapon becomes available in the draft, do you take him over an equally competent and rightly valued lineman in the same drafting spot? I say, "YES." Take the guy who can score points! Surely lineman influence the outcome of a game in many ways, but "game changers" are point scorers—you need them at any level of football.

Thus, equal value, draft the game changer, if not, draft the better football player that is addressing a need you have (o-line, d-line, linebacker, etc.).

3) It's silly to make arguments about NFL team building based on a college football program.

25 scholarships is not the same as 7 draft picks (of which at least 3 are low-round picks).

2) What are the NFL's elite offensive lines and how many of them play with bad QBs?

Answers to the above

3. No. It's not silly if you understand the premise which was 31% of the 2014 5 and 4 star recuits bagged by Saban are O-linemen. Saban has always had top quality O-lines since going to Alabama. Conclusion; he places a priority on building top O-lines and he wins with them. He could have signed more players at other positions but he prioritized O-linemen. In 2010, San Francisco selected (T) Anthony Davis with the first of two first round picks. They then selected (G) Mike Iupati. Wouldn't you say that the 49ers priortized selecting O-linemen that year and how would you say that team has performed since those selections were made. Please don't argue that other factors made them successful. The fact remains that they priortized O-linemen in that draft and have has success since then.

1. O-lines better than Buffalo? Of course this is very subjective but I like the lines in Seattle, New England, San Francisco, Denver, Chicago (this year's line due to the addition of Long), and Cincinnatti.

2. The QBs with two of the above are elite and they are elite due in large part to good O-line protection. It is no mystery to me why Manning chose to go to Denver. It was because of the O-line there. If you recall, he also considered San Francisco. The QB in Cinci is average but they're winning anyway, the others may appear better than they really are due to good O-lines.

3. Difference making Guards? Mankins, Yanda, believe it or not, Incognito, Beadles, Iupati, Sutton, Evans, Snee. Your problems is you don't know them because you don't watch them.

4. Bad QBs in the SB? I'm not going to limit my answer to the last 10 years. Are you old enough to remember the Viking team than went to SB4. They didn't win it but they got there with a QB that could not throw a tight spiral if his life depended on it. Can't remember his name. Also the QB that led the Ravens to a SB win (before Flaco), what was his name. Having name memory issues but if they were good, I'm sure I'd remember them.

5 How many bad O-lines won SB's in the last ten years? zip, zero.

Hope I've adequately answered your very easy questions, San Jose.

Baltimore went from 11th in rushing offense in 2012 to 26th this year, kinda dramatic reversal from my viewpoint. RB Ray Rice from the #11 rusher with a 4.4 YPC avg last season to 28th this season, 2.9 YPC avg.

The Ravens had Bolden in 2012 and he was the 27th ranked WR in the NFL that year, and scored 4 TD's, Pitta was ranked 62nd, and scored 7 TD's. This season Torry Smith got much better, and is already ranked #9 overall with 54 rec, 952 yards 4 TD's, TE Dallas Clark 31 rec, 3 TD's TE Ed Dickson 16 rec, WR Marlon Brown 29 rec, 5 TD's, Jacoby Jones 25 rec, 2 TD's. I think Flacco misses Pitta more then Bolden, but then this years TE's already have 47 receptions.

The 2012 Ravens were 15th in passing attempts, 15th in passing yards. 12th in rushing attempts, 11th in rushing yards.

The 2013 Ravens are still 14th passing attempts, 19th in passing yards. 14th in rushing attempts, 28th in yards.

That Baltimore defense is actually better this season. Joe Flacco was sacked 35 times in all of 2012, and already has been sacked 39 times in 12 games in 2013.

To me the biggest difference between this year and last in the inability to get the run game going consistently, same RB, same FB, same basic O line, save the center. Different OC.

1) Torrell Troup has no place in this discussion nor does drafting too many DBs.

Then why bother bringing up Gronkowski?

2) Back to the subject of offensive lines, the Cleveland Browns start 2 first rounders, 1 second rounder, and 3 third rounders. They're a mediocre team with a mediocre offensive line. All that could change with one good QB.

Thats nice.. I don't know that anyone ever said that drafting linemen high guarantee a good offense, any more than drafting a QB high guarantees a good offense or a SB. I'm not sure what the point is.

Of the teams you brought up, the worst two players on the Ravens O-line are both former first rounders.

By the end of last season the Ravens Oline was:

McKinnie - former 1st rounder, former Pro Bowler. Their Oline..and their offense suffered until he decided to get in shape and actually play

Osemele- 2nd rounder. Drafted in the 2nd round when they were losing Grubbs to FA'cy

Matt Birk- multiple Pro Bowler (6 straight times?)

Marshall Yanda- 3rd rounder, Pro Bowler...signed a contract for 6.5 million per year that season.

Michael Oher- 1st rounder

That's 2 1sts, a 2nd and 2 pro bowlers (past and present)

New England starts 2 undrafted free agents and a 5th rounder.

New England has 2 1st round picks and 2 second round picks. They'd have loved to have gotten former multiple-Pro Bowler Brian Waters to come back last year, but he wouldn't.

New Orleans starts an undrafted free agent and a 7th rounder.Seattle starts 2 7th rounders. San Francisco starts 1 undrafted free agent and a 5th rounder.

NO has a 2nd rounder and 2 Pro Bowl guards starting for them. When they were losing one of their Pro Bowl guards to FA'cy (Nicks), they bought another one (Grubbs).

Seattle has 2 1st round picks and a 2nd.

SF has 3 1st round picks starting, including...gasp...a guard drafted in the 1st round.

Virtuallly every NFL O-line is a composite of high draft picks, low draft picks, and undrafted free agents.

Some put more priority on their Olines than others...like the ones I pointed out.

Sorry. None of those teams use the waiver wire/pactice squad/unemployment line as their primary (or only) source of talent.

In comparison to the Bills...who in the past four years have a single drafted lineman on their roster. And this is true even after their Oline was gutted 4 years ago.

Run that past Ozzie Newsome and see what he thinks about it.

But back to your point....this strange zero sum game you have going..."Would you rather have...?"

How does SF use 3 1st round picks on their Oline and still have a QB?

How does Seattle do it with 2 1st round picks and a 2nd?

How does Baltimore?

NE has 2 1st round picks and a 2nd on their OL and still has Gronk.

This silly zero sum question is...just silly.

And again...if the Bills were actually using these Olineman picks to draft either a Gronkowski or a QB...the argument may have a little more merit as it applies to them..but they do neither.

It wasn't I who raised it. But since you brought it up...Alabama's priority given to their O line is a direct reason for their recent NC's. You can believe otherwise...but I can't help that.

I'd take any of the ones I mentioned...but that's just me. With Wood and Glenn, the Bills have a start. Staying with the dumpster scrounging won't make them better.

I've given you some of them..Kansas City may be getting there in terms of their Oline.

Tenn. is getting much better...and plays with a bad QB.

So does Tampa, but they've also had injury problems.

Now, are you back to this "if you use resources on your Oline, you can't get a good QB?" argument?

Tampa used a 1st on their (former) QB.

So did Tenn.

I'm not sure of the point you are making here.

Logan Mankins

Jahri Evans

Mike Iupati

Marshall Yanda

Carl Nicks when healthy. He certainly was when he was with NO.

Ask their GM's/coaches.

Not too many.

Green Bay...maybe.

The Giants actually had a good oline in both of their SB wins.

The Ravens was first rate by the end of last year.

The Saints probably had the best interior OL in the NFL in 2009 with NIcks and Evans, they had Jon Stinchcomb go to the PB and Bushrod was playing well;

The Colts had Tarik Glenn and Jeff Saturday on their Oline...along with a solid Ryan Lilja and Ryan Diem;

The Steelers Oline in '04 had PB'er Jeff Harting and Alan Faneca and a healthy Kendall Simmons. They led the league in rushing that year;

New England's OL was far from "bad"...

The ratio of winning the SB with a "bad" OL is about the same as it is for winning the SB with a "bad" QB.

And again...how does investing in the OL prevent a team from having a good QB? I just don't see the correlation.

I'll tell you what, I'm just so happy that Buddy Nix along his thoughts that the O line, and particularly the guard position just isn't that important is finally no longer in control.

Its obvious to me from what I've seen that the past winning head coaches of the Buffalo Bills put great importance on the guard position. Chuck Knox drafted Jim Ritcher back in 1980 with the 1st round, 16th pick in that draft. Ritcher rode the bench for a few years playing special teams because the Bills already had a solid O line at that time Ken Jones, Reggie McKenzie, Will Grant, Conrad Dobler, Joe Devlin. 3 of those 5 were 2nd round draft picks.

Jim Ritcher went on to play LG for 14 years for the Bills, 2 years for the Falcons. Ritcher went on to play for both Chuck Knox and Marv Levy.

Both great guards for the Bills Reggie McKenzie & HoF Joe DeLamielleure made the playoffs in 1974 with OJ as the RB.

Sorry, I just don't get the latest idea that the guard position is not that important in the current NFL. Because from what I see, the quickest way to the QB is right up the middle. You can have great tackles, but if the guards can't help control the middle its just as bad or worse then having bad tackles. Also, because some of the teams that have recently won the SB put a premium on that position.

Someone posted a stat that drafting a guard with one of the first three picks usually results in greater success more then any other position. Plus, I've noticed that the average lifespan of those higher drafted linemen seems to be greater by far then the later round draft picks. So by drafting a linemen every other year with one of the first three picks should result in a solid line for years.

To me the biggest difference between this year and last in the inability to get the run game going consistently, same RB, same FB, same basic O line, save the center. Different OC.

Same basic O line? Permit me to assist FTL; Last year McKinnie played very well at LT. Where is he now? Dealt to Miami. Center Birk retired and was replaced by Gradkowski. Oher played LT and RT last year. This year he is playing so badly speculation has it he will be released. Osemele was a quality RT last year. Don't know what happened to him this year. Don't think he's on the roster. Injured?? RT play was so bad they traded for Monroe, a player not considred indispensible by, was it Houston??Those are very significant O-line changes and go a long was in explaining the huge drop in rushing performance.

As for Amaro; he's not often used inline. When he is it's usually in goal-line scenarios, where I've seen him handle his assignments just fine for the most part.

From what I've seen of him focusing on his blocking just because you mentioned it Bandit, I would say if you like his blocking your standards are pretty low. Right now he's a large WR. Maybe he'll learn to block in the pros but he gives me the impression he doesn't like to do it.

Anything in today's game lead you to revisit that opinion?

No. Eveyone makes mistakes.

The Bills rushed for 195 yards and for the second time this year, allowed zero sacks in a game in which they lost.

Yet again, while they could improve, the O-line is far down the list of factors which prevent the Bills from winning.

As said before, the Bills need to upgrade the offensive skill position weapons and having veteran receivers fumble away the game on two consecutive possessions backs up "The Gronk" argument eloquently.

Tight ends like Chandler who can't block can't be fumbling the ball to the other team 4 times in 122 touches. In fact, tight ends and fullbacks aren't supposed to fumble the ball at all.

If the Bills spend their mid first round pick on a guard, they're even more inept of an organization than any of us thought they were.

What about controlling the LOS on defense? Pettine took part in a number of top defensive units that featured Pouha at NT. I'm imaging a Pat Williams or Vince Wilfork type NT with Dareus next to him at the 3-tech or the 'big end,' keeping Kiko clean of blockers in the middle.

In my opinion it's the run D holding us back from having a top defensive unit. Teams like Atlanta and Pittsburgh should not be able to run on us- those teams should be made one dimensional so that our outstanding pass rush and DBs are allowed to take over the game. A space eater next to Dareus could get us there, then you keep Kyle Williams and rotate him for the NT in passing situations.

We also seem to be short an NFL-calibre linebacker but I can't see that having quite the same effect.

Offense, the line seems to be good enough- we're a strong rushing team whose lost two games where we didn't allow a sack. Doesn't scream top priority. Keep adding weapons for EJ and watch this offense improve along with it's quarterback.

But on D we can get to the next level by shutting down the run more consistently, leaving opposing QBs upriver without a paddle.

Edited by J-Gun Boone