WR Substitution / No Huddle

Donald Duck

The Buffalo Bills run one of the fastest paced Offenses in the League which in turn equates to more plays and more wear and tear on each individual athlete.When a player/WR becomes fatigued it hurts his productivity and increases the chance for an injury to occur.

I realize the Bills QB/WR corp is young and trying to gel, but from a stamina stand point it would be wise in my opinion to substitute WR's. Goodwin, Graham and Hogan appear to be a productive combination without our best weapons in Woods and SJ on the field.

By implementing more players/ offensive skill sets into the game plan makes for a harder Offense to game plan against.

Substitute, keep them all fresh...

The Buffalo Bills run one of the fastest paced Offenses in the League which in turn equates to more plays and more wear and tear on each individual athlete.When a player/WR becomes fatigued it hurts his productivity and increases the chance for an injury to occur.

I realize the Bills QB/WR corp is young and trying to gel, but from a stamina stand point it would be wise in my opinion to substitute WR's. Goodwin, Graham and Hogan appear to be a productive combination without our best weapons in Woods and SJ on the field.

By implementing more players/ offensive skill sets into the game plan makes for a harder Offense to game plan against.

Substitute, keep them all fresh...

If the team wasn't "100% healthy" in week 12

some might agree.

IF you train hard to work at an upbeet pace you get acclimated to it. ergo its not that much of a burden.

Have you ever played a team sport? I used to run track and cross country, you run 10 to 15 miules a day but you race only 3 miles.

You run 2 or 3 quarter mile sprints over 2 hours mixed in with miles of running in between to run 2 or 3 races on meet day.

ergo its not that much of a burden.

If the offense substitutes personnel, by rule they must allow the defense time to substitute as many players as they like. That's counter-productive to running a fast-paced no-huddle.

Its not very often a drive doesn't have some kind of break in the action for Officiating.

Naturally you use common sense with your timing when substituting.

Again, different players offer up different skill sets making it harder on the opposing Defense.

Keep your best players on the field. Why would you substitute an inferior player (Hogan) for a superior player unless he absolutely needed a rest? These are professional athletes, and should be able to stay on the field for the entirety of an offensive drive.

Different skill set, Hogan may do things better then his counterpart.

Also, keep them rested...

Edited by dog14787

The whole idea of the fast paced offense is to keep the other team from rotating defensive players as others have stated. The D will get tired more quickly than the O, especially on the line. Those "breaks for officiating" is exactly where you might substitute, but to do it on your own is counter intuitive to the fast paced offense.

The whole idea of the fast paced offense is to keep the other team from rotating defensive players as others have stated. The D will get tired more quickly than the O, especially on the line. Those "breaks for officiating" is exactly where you might substitute, but to do it on your own is counter intuitive to the fast paced offense.

so keep them fast by implementing the whole WR corp, starters and backups (to some degree at least) into the game plan,

Its the norm for a player to try and play hard enough to get the start, then try to stay on the field to keep it, just goes with the territory.

Under the circumstances, considering the amount of plays the Bills run on Offense at such a fast pace, I believe it would benefit the team to implement more WR's into the game plan. Especially considering the amount of running involved at the WR position.

Edited by dog14787

Different skill set, Hogan may do things better then his counterpart.

Also, keep them rested...

Okay, so in this exact scenario, who would you substitute Hogan for and what would he provide that Stevie, Woods, Goodwin, & Graham could not. Obviously it is nice to have your players fresh, but where does it end? Shuffle in and out our offensive linemen? Surely they exert just as much physical energy (probably more) than the WR's.

Its not like the plan is to go 110 miles per hour, %100 of the time. Its dictated by the situation. If you have a mis match or two you like, and can take advantage of, hit the gas. Other times sub to get in the appropriate personal. Also, Goodwin, Graham, don't seem like the kinda guys who get tired from running.

If the team wasn't "100% healthy" in week 12

some might agree.

IF you train hard to work at an upbeet pace you get acclimated to it. ergo its not that much of a burden.

Have you ever played a team sport? I used to run track and cross country, you run 10 to 15 miules a day but you race only 3 miles.

You run 2 or 3 quarter mile sprints over 2 hours mixed in with miles of running in between to run 2 or 3 races on meet day.

Agree. I was on the swim team back in HS and our practices were way more physically demanding than the meets. So w/ a no-huddle or fast pace offense, you get used to it. It drains the defense because they have to react to the plays the offense is running. On a side note, when our D gets a turnover, I'd like to see our O on the field immediately w/ a play that's been already planned before getting onto the field for a quick count & (preferably) a long pass play. JMO Go Bills!

The 'problem' as I see it is the Bills seem more interested in keeping the same players on the field (and forcing the defense to do the same) vs. situational substitution. IMO, especially without their willingness to split the RBs wide, they need to go to more 3 or 4 WR sets from time to time.

Keep your best players on the field. Why would you substitute an inferior player (Hogan) for a superior player unless he absolutely needed a rest? These are professional athletes, and should be able to stay on the field for the entirety of an offensive drive.

How about Hogan for Chandler or Jackson or Spiller or Smith etc.?