New overtime rules are awful. Great article attached

Estro

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not just add a quarter if it's tied, highest score at the end wins. If it's tied add another

I'm sure the players and their union would love that.

I'm still puzzled about why taking the OT KO and kicking a FG to win was an abomination of 'a coin flip deciding the game', but taking the OT KO and scoring a TD to win is apparently all fair.

I think because kicking a field goal is much easier than scoring a TD.

I'm still puzzled about why taking the OT KO and kicking a FG to win was an abomination of 'a coin flip deciding the game', but taking the OT KO and scoring a TD to win is apparently all fair.

You're really puzzled? You don't see a difference in being able to win the game by just picking up 30 or so yards vs. having to go the length of the field. Granted, teams aren't getting the ball out to the 30-40 yardline on returns much anymore, but it was pretty common when it was the old rule.

Play a 7 quarter game and go on the road for a Thursday one... Obviously taking it to the extreme there, but...

I've watched hockey players go into 4 overtimes in the playoffs only to play 2 days later...and you're telling me an extra 15 minute period, which in reality is about 3 minutes of actual game play, is too much because there's a possibility of a Thursday night game. Edit: Sorry misread the endless extra quarters part. I'd just leave it at one extra period; if nobody wins that it's a tie.

I really prefer continuing to play with the same rules you used for 60 minutes. FIFA used to have the 'golden goal' where the next goal won after 90 minutes, but they smartly said that's ridiculous and just said just add 2 more 15 minute halves and play it out. I'd much prefer a shorter OT played in full than all sorts of rules about what kind of score ends the game.

Edited by disco

I've watched hockey players go into 4 overtimes in the playoffs only to play 2 days later...and you're telling me an extra 15 minute period, which in reality is about 3 minutes of actual game play, is too much because there's a possibility of a Thursday night game. Edit: Sorry misread the endless extra quarters part. I'd just leave it at one extra period; if nobody wins that it's a tie.

Football injury rates are super high, though, and only gets worse with less rest. I googled it to find some stats, and from http://www.totalprosports.com/2012/06/08/11-most-dangerous-sports/#12:

Football: 4.85%.

Hockey: .57%

From another study (although I'm not sure who the population is here - it's ranked by total injuries but the number of participants is way different. Football leads in injury rate, with Hockey 2nd): http://www.familiesafield.org/pdf/Injury_page.pdf

I really prefer continuing to play with the same rules you used for 60 minutes. FIFA used to have the 'golden goal' where the next goal won after 90 minutes, but they smartly said that's ridiculous and just said just add 2 more 15 minute halves and play it out. I'd much prefer a shorter OT played in full than all sorts of rules about what kind of score ends the game.

Funny - when I was reading your first paragraph, I said this guy must be a soccer fan........And, then you say it in the 2nd paragraph.

Soccer's overtime is one of the 800 incredibly stupid rules that they have. Goals are at such a premium. You play a whole game for a 1-1 or 0-0 score..........Then, you finally get a goal, and that doesn't end the game. You keep !@#$ing playing - are you kidding me...........And, then the other team finally scores, so there is very little chance of an actualy 3rd goal in the period, so you have to start another whole period..........Insane!

Football injury rates are super high, though, and only gets worse with less rest. I googled it to find some stats, and from http://www.totalpros...rous-sports/#12:

Football: 4.85%.

Hockey: .57%

From another study (although I'm not sure who the population is here - it's ranked by total injuries but the number of participants is way different. Football leads in injury rate, with Hockey 2nd): http://www.familiesa...Injury_page.pdf

Can you imagine football players playing two nights in a row like in hockey?

It isn't all fair......it's fairer.

You're really puzzled? You don't see a difference in being able to win the game by just picking up 30 or so yards vs. having to go the length of the field. Granted, teams aren't getting the ball out to the 30-40 yardline on returns much anymore, but it was pretty common when it was the old rule.

So if you drive 70 yards for a TD instead of 40 yards for a FG, than the coin flip no longer decided the game? But if you drove say, 90 yards to the 1 and kicked an 18 yard FG under the old rules, than a coin flip decided the game? How about a KO return for a TD? No coin flip impact there?

Yeah, still puzzled.

Either have sudden death or play a full 15 mintues. Splitting the baby is usually a bad idea.

there should be a winner and loser at the end of the game not a tie. At the end of 15 minutes they should bring out the Kickers put the ball at the 30 yard line and kick a field goal. if they both make it, then they move back 5 yards first person to miss their team loses.

This is the most horrible of ideas.

See Dibs post above yours.

So, do you really think Belichick would have given the Broncos the ball on Sunday under the old rules?

Of course not. What does that have to do with the current rule being arbitrary and illogical?

Yeah, you pretty much did:

Yeah, you pretty much did:

No, I pretty much didn't. Actually not even close. You're attempting to apply your own conclusions to my words. Which is pretty lazy.

The NFL is strange in that they are the only professional sport in which the overtime rules differ from the way the game is played during regulation.

Not true. The NHL overtime rules differ greatly from the way the game is played in regulation. They play four on four in overtime versus five on five in regulation. The overtime period is only five minutes versus twenty minutes in regulation. Then they go to a shootout which is nothing at all like anything in regulation. That's akin to the NFL playing an overtime that is only 25% of its regulation quarters with approximately 20% fewer players on the field then going to a FG kicking contest if the fewer number of players in the shortened session can't manage to score.