Hi-tech Hub for Buffalo

TPS

After I'm done shopping at the new bass pro shop I can drive to work at the new high tech hub, maybe later ill go to Canada on the new peace bridge.

/cynical

I know this is good news and good be the start of something but you know your area is in the pits when you get excited about 850 new jobs.

I know this is good news and good be the start of something but you know your area is in the pits when you get excited about 850 new jobs.

I've been in the area since 1990, and over this time the economy and population has slowly declined. There were times when I thought things were turning around, but, more often than not, the old guard and crony system seemed to drag it back down. Things are different this time. There is new business leadership that is finally breaking the influence of the old guard, those who would push for big-box, magic bullet developments as antidotes for the economy. These big-box projects would then be used to dole out contracts to the handful of big developers who were part of the network.

I think two major events changed things. One was the public backlash to the Bass Pro development at Canal Side; and the other was Cuomo's creation of the "Buffalo Billion" economic development initiative which put two "outsiders" (Howard Zemsky and UB president Tripathi) in charge of the process which acted as an end-around to the Andrew Rudnick-led old boys network. I don't think it's a coincidence that Buffalo's lack of development during my first 20 years here coincides with Rudnick's tenure over the local business chamber the Buffalo-Niagara Partnership.

This tech hub is one of many good things happening in the region (for example, the Ford plant is adding 350 new jobs). While it's certainly not out of the woods yet, I do think WNY has reached an "inflection point," in that it has stemmed the tide of decline, and is slowly starting to grow again. Yes, people here are excited about this project and the potential it creates for more (the project is patterned after the nanotechnology model that has been a boon to Albany). And it's ironic that it will be built on the site, or ashes, of Republic Steel, which is representative of Buffalo's decline.

So, yes, we poor Buffalonians are excited about this "little" project (and others) because we believe that Buffalo is finally experiencing a renaissance. No, it will never grow like Sun-belt cities, but that's ok with me. I'm a native of SoCal, and if I were given the choice to live there again or Buffalo, I'd choose Buffalo. I prefer the slower-paced quality of life in this place known as "the city of good neighbors" than the car-choked freeways populated by the diaspora who have checked into the Hotel California.

Edited by TPS

I've been in the area since 1990, and over this time the economy and population has slowly declined. There were times when I thought things were turning around, but, more often than not, the old guard and crony system seemed to drag it back down. Things are different this time. There is new business leadership that is finally breaking the influence of the old guard, those who would push for big-box, magic bullet developments as antidotes for the economy. These big-box projects would then be used to dole out contracts to the handful of big developers who were part of the network.

I think two major events changed things. One was the public backlash to the Bass Pro development at Canal Side; and the other was Cuomo's creation of the "Buffalo Billion" economic development initiative which put two "outsiders" (Howard Zemsky and UB president Tripathi) in charge of the process which acted as an end-around to the Andrew Rudnick-led old boys network. I don't think it's a coincidence that Buffalo's lack of development during my first 20 years here coincides with Rudnick's tenure over the local business chamber the Buffalo-Niagara Partnership.

This tech hub is one of many good things happening in the region (for example, the Ford plant is adding 350 new jobs). While it's certainly not out of the woods yet, I do think WNY has reached an "inflection point," in that it has stemmed the tide of decline, and is slowly starting to grow again. Yes, people here are excited about this project and the potential it creates for more (the project is patterned after the nanotechnology model that has been a boon to Albany). And it's ironic that it will be built on the site, or ashes, of Republic Steel, which is representative of Buffalo's decline.

So, yes, we poor Buffalonians are excited about this "little" project (and others) because we believe that Buffalo is finally experiencing a renaissance. No, it will never grow like Sun-belt cities, but that's ok with me. I'm a native of SoCal, and if I were given the choice to live there again or Buffalo, I'd choose Buffalo. I prefer the slower-paced quality of life in this place known as "the city of good neighbors" than the car-choked freeways populated by the diaspora who have checked into the Hotel California.

I laugh every time I here someone say the line above that I've highlighted. Yeah, it's always didfferent this time. Until you can attract young people via the university system and keep them in the area or attract them from other areas it's going to be difficult to grow the tech industry. Why would a 26 year old want to move to or stay in Buffalo if they could move to CA (the silicone valley) with much greater companies to choose from, better weather, and better growth potential. What incentive is there for those people to stay or come? Yes you may not like that high paced life of California but many of the people that are driving the tech industry thrive on that ****.

Edited by Chef Jim

I laugh every time I here someone say the line above that I've highlighted. Yeah, it's always didfferent this time. Until you can attract young people via the university system and keep them in the area or attract them from other areas it's going to be difficult to grow the tech industry. Why would a 26 year old want to move to or stay in Buffalo if they could move to CA (the silicone valley) with much greater companies to choose from, better weather, and better growth potential. What incentive is there for those people to stay or come? Yes you may not like that high paced life of California but many of the people that are driving the tech industry thrive on that ****.

Young single graduates would probably want to give it a try in the valley, then, if they want to start a family and buy a house, they'd want to move back here...

There's no doubt that Buffalo is making a turnaround, and I'm happy to be a part of it. The icing on the cake will be a Super Bowl victory in January 2015.... :beer:

To each their own.

That's quite the pretentious San-Franesque attitude you've developed there Cali Jim!

Way to be a total dick and piss in Buffalo's Cornflakes.

Young single graduates would probably want to give it a try in the valley, then, if they want to start a family and buy a house, they'd want to move back here...

There's no doubt that Buffalo is making a turnaround, and I'm happy to be a part of it. The icing on the cake will be a Super Bowl victory in January 2015.... :beer:

To each their own.

Why would anyone with a family to take care of move away from the opportunites in the valley. Take a look at the list of the companies in the valley. Of course some will move back but most likely will not.

That's quite the pretentious San-Franesque attitude you've developed there Cali Jim!

I guess you missed the part about it being good news and a good start but if you think WNY has not been in the pits for 30 plus years you've had your head buried in the sand. Sorry the truth upset you so much.

Hey a Gene Frenkle sighting, so rare of late, but don't call out Cheffy 1. he's been insulting OC which is always amusing and 2. Buffalo doesn't get shaken until it's buildings all fall down

don't you mean Cheerios?

Why would anyone with a family to take care of move away from the opportunites in the valley. Take a look at the list of the companies in the valley. Of course some will move back but most likely will not.

I guess you missed the part about it being good news and a good start but if you think WNY has not been in the pits for 30 plus years you've had your head buried in the sand. Sorry the truth upset you so much.

we don't want all of them, just the nice ones. The dicks can stay in Cali....

:-)