Marrone is how bad?

Terrakon

He botched another challenge today...but really this game was all about the brilliance of Mike Pettine....again.

He didn't botch the non challenge...he was clearly short of first down. Only reason anyone is saying this cuz announcer mistakenly thought it was closer than it was and said so, otherwise no one would have even talked about it.

He didn't botch the non challenge...he was clearly short of first down. Only reason anyone is saying this cuz announcer mistakenly thought it was closer than it was and said so, otherwise no one would have even talked about it.

Well, the thing was that he called a timeout right after anyway. Why not just challenge the play?

How do you know what I was thinking? What I was REALLY thinking is that was a bad spot worthy of a challenge...even before the announcers said that.

Well, the thing was that he called a timeout right after anyway. Why not just challenge the play?

The thing with calling a challenge on spots is they are usually on short yardage and there is a scrum of players around the ball..usually why you don't win those because the refs have a hard time seeing the ball and giving conclusive evidence. There was clear video footage on that one as it was in the open field.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

How do you know what I was thinking? What I was REALLY thinking is that was a bad spot worthy of a challenge...even before the announcers said that.

The thing with calling a challenge on spots is they are usually on short yardage and there is a scrum of players around the ball..usually why you don't win those because the refs have a hard time seeing the ball and giving conclusive evidence. There was clear video footage on that one as it was in the open field.

Right, but we called a timeout anyway. I would have been fine with the non-challenge had they just ran another play, but they stopped the clock. Can't hurt to challenge if you're going to call the timeout.

My initial thought was the same,take the TO makes no difference. But thinking some more, you only get two challenges a game, so taking one when you don't think you're going to win it probably isn't very smart as now only have one left.

You likely should only throw the flag when either you think you will win the challenge, or sometimes late in a game and you're behind, you may take one just because you need something desperate to happen to get back into the game.

I've often thought the same thing. A time out is 30 seconds. Challenge a play and you have several minutes before play starts again.

Right, but we called a timeout anyway. I would have been fine with the non-challenge had they just ran another play, but they stopped the clock. Can't hurt to challenge if you're going to call the timeout.