Colts Elevate Da'Rick Rogers to the Active Roster

26CornerBlitz

I already corrected my error above.

And I'm being perfectly level-headed when I defend the multitude of reasons Marrone had to cut him. He's done jack schit in this league and some around here are acting like he was royally screwed by the organization that gave him a chance in the first place.

And trust me when I say, it's IMPOSSIBLE for me to take ANYTHING DaRick Rogers does or doesn't do in the NFL. I sincerely hope the kid has grown up and makes the most out of his opportunity.

But we need to save the hype for when he proves it.

GO BILLS!!!

I don't think anyone's said the organization screwed him. I've read many say that between two prospects, one with limited physical skills and one with lacking maturity but unlimited upside if he figured it out - they'd prefer the guy who COULD be great.... Big difference between that and declaring him great.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whooptie Bleepin Doo....Hogan types are a nickel a dozen.

I don't give a crap about Hogan.

But he does little to prove ANY point to the positive about Rogers. In fact, he bolsters the case AGAINST him.

But hey, at least Hogan has caught a ball in the NFL. 4 to be exact.

GO BILLS!!!

I already corrected my error above.

And I'm being perfectly level-headed when I defend the multitude of reasons Marrone had to cut him. He's done jack schit in this league and some around here are acting like he was royally screwed by the organization that gave him a chance in the first place.

And trust me when I say, it's IMPOSSIBLE for me to take ANYTHING DaRick Rogers does or doesn't do in the NFL personally. I sincerely hope the kid has grown up and makes the most out of his opportunity.

But we need to save the hype for when he proves it.

GO BILLS!!!

Hogan had a FAR better camp and pre-season. Indeed, it wasn't close and it was a rather easy decision.

But lets all act like it was the complete opposite.

GO BILLS!!!

I am certainly passionate on the other end for the numerous reasons that I mentioned. Hogan's upside to me is Hogan. Da'Rick had 67 catches, 1040 yards and 9 TDs as a sophomore in the SEC. I am not saying that Rogers will ever amount to anything. He may never have a reception but was still worth keeping to me. There was no risk involved. You would have kept him at the expense of a guy that will never make an impact in the NFL. If he didn't clean up his act (which he seems to have done) you cut your losses. Time will tell but I am very confident that he will have a better career than Chris Hogan.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Who knows, maybe Da'Rick bullied Hogan in the cafeteria, and Bills decided to keep the high character, but less-able player over a talented trouble child?

Too bad Rogers didn't prove he was "more able" when he had the chance in Buffalo.

Hogan caught everything thrown to him and somehow always managed to be in the correct lines for all his drills in camp, too.

GO BILLS!!!

If Da'Rick Rogers goes on to become all world, I'll never forgive the cut. Not because he excelled with another team after being cut from Buffalo, but because he wasn't afforded much of an opportunity to fail. He was turning in big plays during training camp, but couldn't sniff the field in the preseason. Why? Marrone decided he wasn't even worth the roster spot to make it to final cutdowns. I'm wishing Da'Rick well, but not "too well" if you know what I mean.

I think the point of cutting him was more to not let what they perceived as a poor work ethic/attitude infect the rest of the team. I suspect that they also believed he was plenty talented, but could not risk undermining the culture of effort, dedication, professionalism and team work that they are trying to build.

I didn't read the whole thing but maybe they thought besides dogging he was still you know, using... just a thought. IDK but neither does anyone here

Too bad Rogers didn't prove he was "more able" when he had the chance in Buffalo.

Hogan caught everything thrown to him and somehow always managed to be in the correct lines for all his drills in camp, too.

GO BILLS!!!

But who cares!! He is no better than David Nelson or some other guys that were on the street at that point. You could have found 175 guys out there capable of giving you what Hogan can give you. Everyone is not the same. You should cut more slack and be more patient with talent. If it doesn't work out it doesn't work out but to cut him to save Hogan will never make any sense. As far as I am concerned in a rebuilding situation you should always take a shot on one or two troubled but talented guys that you get for good value. You hope that it works out. It worked out pretty well last year for Cincy with Vontez Burfict (sp) who was pretty much the defensive equivalent of Da'Rick.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

I don't give a crap about Hogan.

But he does little to prove ANY point to the positive about Rogers. In fact, he bolsters the case AGAINST him.

But hey, at least Hogan has caught a ball in the NFL. 4 to be exact.

GO BILLS!!!

Rogers showed far more potential in camp than Hogan could ever dream about. Yes Rogers had lapses in concentration and showed immaturity. IMO you take the long view by mentoring the kid and surrounding him with guys like Fred Jackson while he matures with the thought of him getting his act together to pay big dividends in an area of major need.

Chris Hogan is and will always be JAG. Nothing special...well except maybe a decent gunner on ST. Meh!

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

But who cares!! He is no better than David Nelson or some other guys that were on the street at that point. You could have found 175 guys out there capable of giving you what Hogan can give you. Everyone is not the same. You should cut more slack and be more patient with talent. If it doesn't work out it doesn't work out but to cut him to save Hogan will never make any sense. As far as I am concerned in a rebuilding situation you should always take a shot on one or two troubled but talented guys that you get for good value. You hope that it works out. It worked out pretty well last year for Cincy with Vontez Burfict (sp) who was pretty much the defensive equivalent of Da'Rick.

They took a shot.

They decided to go with the more consistent performer, instead. Rogers was having SERIOUS issues grasping the offense. Sooner or later you run out of time and patience when you have 53 other guys who've shown you more.

More power to him in Indy.

GO BILLS!!!

GO BILLS!!!

And how exactly are the Bills benefiting from this? Great, he got in line correctly. He won preseason. This won't change the fact that he's a scrub and he'll never make the Bills a better team.

Rodgers being shown the door is uncannily similar to what Marrone did to Mike Williams.

Edited by kas23

Rogers showed far more potential in camp than Hogan could ever dream about. Yes Rogers had lapses in concentration and showed immaturity. IMO you take the long view by mentoring the kid and surrounding him with guys like Fred Jackson while matures with the thought of him getting his act together to pay big dividends in an area of major need.

Chris Hogan is and will always be JAG. Nothing special...well except maybe a decent gunner on ST. Meh!

This is revisionist. Rogers had a few very nice plays in camp. But he had more drops and lapses in concentration (i.e. knowing where to line up, knowing where to be for drills,etc.) than he did good plays. Hogan never let the ball hit the ground in comparison.

Again, if he couldn't wrest the job from the likes of Chris Hogan, he only has himself to blame. Marrone ran out of time and patience. It happens. And that has nothing to do with Hogan.

GO BILLS!!!

And how exactly are the Bills benefiting from this? Great, he got in line correctly. He won preseason. This won't change the fact that he's a scrub and he'll never make the Bills a better team.

What do you mean...He was abusing TJ Heath and Crezdon Butler in camp....He's a star! :lol:

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

I guess this is when I ask, how are the Bills being hurt by this? I mean other than in your imagination? We can all sit here and say if Rogers were on the field he'd have several 100 yard days and 8 TDs at this point. We can make up anything we want about him to suit our purposes. It's like saying if we only had Chad Rinehart, we'd be 7-3 instead of 3-7.

GO BILLS!!!

They took a shot.

They decided to go with the more consistent performer, instead. Rogers was having SERIOUS issues grasping the offense. Sooner or later you run out of time and patience when you have 53 other guys who've shown you more.

GO BILLS!!!

They ran out of patience to keep a guy that is going to finish the year with 7 catches? Again, Rogers may never be anything but you weren't cutting Megatron to make him your 53rd man. It was a mistake at the time and in hindsight was an even bigger mistake.

When you haven't been to the playoffs for 14 years (or whatever it is) you take some chances. You try to hit some home runs. Keeping Chris Hogan is never going to have any impact on your team. He might as well run the water bottles out at a timeout. At least Easley is a ST beast. You would lose nothing by having Rogers on the roster instead of Hogan. It is no risk, high reward.

They took a shot.

GO BILLS!!!

If you aren't taking da'rick himself more personally, it seems you'd have to have some more personal sources than an average fan from afar. I know sometimes you come across tidbits that are a step inside what I'd normally be basing an opinion off. Not sure if that might explain some of our gap? You seem very confident about some statements that seem to overreach the media reports (and even the tone of those reports seemed to over reach their content).

I guess this is when I ask, how are the Bills being hurt by this? I mean other than in your imagination? We can all sit here and say if Rogers were on the field he'd have several 100 yard days and 8 TDs at this point. We can make up anything we want about him to suit our purposes. It's like saying if we only had Chad Rinehart, we'd be 7-3 instead of 3-7.

GO BILLS!!!

No one is saying any of that. All that we are saying is that when your team is bad you are better off taking chances on talent. Maybe they can turn your fortunes. Guys like Hogan or Colin Brown or Doug Legursky are ever going to help you end a playoff drought. They just are not good enough.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

They ran out of patience to keep a guy that is going to finish the year with 7 catches? Again, Rogers may never be anything but you weren't cutting Megatron to make him your 53rd man. It was a mistake at the time and in hindsight was an even bigger mistake.

When you haven't been to the playoffs for 14 years (or whatever it is) you take some chances. You try to hit some home runs. Keeping Chris Hogan is never going to have any impact on your team. He might as well run the water bottles out at a timeout. At least Easley is a ST beast. You would lose nothing by having Rogers on the roster instead of Hogan. It is no risk, high reward.

Hell, they're taking a chance on the new FB/HB/TE Evan Rodriguez who has had issues. Should have shown more patience with Rogers.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

If you aren't taking da'rick himself more personally, it seems you'd have to have some more personal sources than an average fan from afar. I know sometimes you come across tidbits that are a step inside what I'd normally be basing an opinion off. Not sure if that might explain some of our gap? You seem very confident about some statements that seem to overreach the media reports (and even the tone of those reports seemed to over reach their content).

There is NOTHING a player can do or say that, unless it's directed at me personally, that I will EVER take personally. It gets in the way of honest assessment for starters.

Bottom line on Rogers and then I'm out of this mess. He showed little aptitude for the position and the intricacies of the playbook. End of story. He had a tendency to hang his head and sulk. He showed little retention of the lesson Marrone tried to teach him in OTAs when he pulled him aside after the taunting incident as well. This all added up to the decision to give him a chance to catch on somewhere else.

I'm surprised that so few can see it from the coaches perspective. Especially new coaches with new systems seeking to establish a new culture. Players are often kept or cut simply on that basis alone.

Two words: football character. I hope Pagano can coax it out of the kid.

GO BILLS!!!