Re: Optimisticly sure that we are out of the playoffs

JTO

For anyone that feels that we are still in the playoff hunt is very simply in denial. In looking at the schedule, (6 games left) I can honestly state that there is no way that we will beat the Jets and Patriots. The Miami game is still up in the air and as for the falcons, I still don't know.

At this point, I would just utilize the next 6 games to give EJ enough experience for next year. However, we should also tank it in order to get a higher pick. With that said, what position do you think the team lacks in and therefore should be our first round pick?

Edited by JTO

I don't think they should tank it, but they need to really find out what they've got with EJ.

He hasn't shown enough yet IMO to discourage the FO from considering a QB in the first. If they have been "babying" him as has been suggested in other threads, take the kid gloves off and make him prove that the Bills should pass on one of the 5 or 6 prospects with a first round grade.

However, without the benefit of evaluating EJ over the rest of the season, I think they should go QB in the first.

Here are my more in depth thoughts on the draft and who they should target: http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/163606-flaps-super-early-bills-mock/

Cugalabanza- you never answered my question. How would you utilize your first pick in the 2014 draft?

I'm not a draft guru guy, so I can't name names. I would say there is room on this roster for a game changer at most positions still, outside of Center, DT, MLB. I don't think it's time to hit the panic button just yet and go with another first round QB.

To the other point, it's never time to "tank it." You play to win. Period.

I don't think they should tank it, but they need to really find out what they've got with EJ.

He hasn't shown enough yet IMO to discourage the FO from considering a QB in the first. If they have been "babying" him as has been suggested in other threads, take the kid gloves off and make him prove that the Bills should pass on one of the 5 or 6 prospects with a first round grade.

However, without the benefit of evaluating EJ over the rest of the season, I think they should go QB in the first.

Here are my more in depth thoughts on the draft and who they should target: http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/163606-flaps-super-early-bills-mock/

I would definitely go QB in the first. This is projected to be an elite QB class and I don't want us to miss it. Reminds me of 1983.

I certainly don't want to see any team 'tank it'. Thousands of fans have paid hard-earned cash to see a competitive game and that's what the players should always aim to provide. Assuming EJ can learn to throw a good pass then I'd like to see a really tall WR who could win one-on-one's against opposing secondaries.

A really good player in one of the following positions....

WR, CB, DT, QB, RT, FS, ILB, OLB, DE

Jeeeze, I'd take a freaking punter if they could at least pick the best punter in the league.

I want to see elite talent. Enough of these rags to average stories and even more so enough of these top tier guys that don't look top tier on the field.

Here is the list of first round picks that were on the field yesterday:

EJ

CJ

Mario

MD99

Gilmore

Jerry Hughes

Manny Lawson

Eric Wood

Leodis

This is the list of first rounders that looked like elite talents v Pittsburg:

-

-----------------

Honorable mention to near first rounders who at least outplayed the first rounders:

Aaron Williams, kiko, Byrd, Glenn, Alan Branch,

Honestly, they should force Manuel to throw it 40 times/game for the rest of the way. And not the dink and dunk crap he's been inclined to lean towards. Down the field! Just open it up completely. With the speed outside, you wouldn't think it'd be a problem. The only way they're going to find out as to whether or not Manuel is the answer at QB is to just unleash him. If he fails; if he still dumps it off more often than not, then you can reasonably conclude that he's not NFL caliber. Then they can invest a high draft pick in yet another QB. And if Manuel is SO bad that they end up drafting in the top five, so be it. Bridgewater would look good in a Bills uniform.

Here are my more in depth thoughts on the draft and who they should target: http://forums.twobil...rly-bills-mock/

The Bills really need to be smarter than the average fan with regard to the QB position and just draft the best one possible again. And keep doing it until you get what you need. First round picks don't win Super Bowls for you... elite QB's do. Maybe EJ can become one....against what he has shown so far...but you can't put all your eggs in that basket. And lining up a team without a high quality QB is just that.....a waste of a basket full of talent. If you can't stock your team from rounds 2-7 and with help thru free agency you probably don't have much of a personnel department anyway........which makes having a great QB even more important.

The Bills really need to be smarter than the average fan with regard to the QB position and just draft the best one possible again. And keep doing it until you get what you need. First round picks don't win Super Bowls for you... elite QB's do. Maybe EJ can become one....against what he has shown so far...but you can't put all your eggs in that basket. And lining up a team without a high quality QB is just that.....a waste of a basket full of talent. If you can't stock your team from rounds 2-7 and with help thru free agency you probably don't have much of a personnel department anyway........which makes having a great QB even more important.

I completely agree, but Whaley ain't gonna do it. He was Manuel's biggest fan - the guy touting his practice performance on a rainy, windswept day in Florida before the draft. He also was the one making negative comments to anyone who would listen about Barkley's weak pro day. In short, he's heavily invested in Manuel's success.

Even if the Bills win out, they're unlikely to reach the playoffs. It's over.

The optimal draft position would be whatever gets Teddy Bridgewater.

Actually, 9-7 does probably get you in because the Jets only have 5 wins and everyone else has 4. The sad part is in knowing those numbers, the Bills STILL played their way out of it with 6 games to go - sad really

Actually, 9-7 does probably get you in because the Jets only have 5 wins and everyone else has 4. The sad part is in knowing those numbers, the Bills STILL played their way out of it with 6 games to go - sad really

They can finish ahead of the Jets, but they'd need basically every other team fighting for the 6th seed to not finish 9-7 also because the Bills will be 6-6 at best in the conference.

The Bills beat the Jests and they're one game back of the 6th seed.

They don't have to win out. It's a relative goal not absolute.

A majority of the AFC has 4 wins. And not all these teams are winning out. Head to head is first tie breaker after the division is settled. We have the tie breaker of the Ravens.

They just need to win one more game than the Jests down the stretch. Which is at least 5 probably a win out but that's the situation.

Now will they actually do it based on the performance in the Steelers game. No way.

But the Jests game is a playoff game for them.

If they lose this weekend then even the wildest playoff hopes go out the window.

WE actually get at least one more meaningful game this weekend.

Now what they need in the 2014 draft is a receiver that is open when he is covered.

I like the kid that makes Manzeil look good very week.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Honestly, they should force Manuel to throw it 40 times/game for the rest of the way. And not the dink and dunk crap he's been inclined to lean towards. Down the field! Just open it up completely. With the speed outside, you wouldn't think it'd be a problem. The only way they're going to find out as to whether or not Manuel is the answer at QB is to just unleash him. If he fails; if he still dumps it off more often than not, then you can reasonably conclude that he's not NFL caliber. Then they can invest a high draft pick in yet another QB. And if Manuel is SO bad that they end up drafting in the top five, so be it. Bridgewater would look good in a Bills uniform.

I agree , lets see what EJ and all receivers can do the rest of the season.

The Bills beat the Jests and they're one game back of the 6th seed.

They don't have to win out. It's a relative goal not absolute.

A majority of the AFC has 4 wins. And not all these teams are winning out. Head to head is first tie breaker after the division is settled. We have the tie breaker of the Ravens.

They just need to win one more game than the Jests down the stretch. Which is at least 5 probably a win out but that's the situation.

Now will they actually do it based on the performance in the Steelers game. No way.

But the Jests game is a playoff game for them.

If they lose this weekend then even the wildest playoff hopes go out the window.

WE actually get at least one more meaningful game this weekend.

Now what they need in the 2011 draft is a receiver that is open when he is covered.

I like the kid that makes Manzeil look good very week.

Agreed on all points. That last AFC playoff spot is there for the taking, and a mediocre team is going to get it. It's the Jets, a bunch of 4 win teams, and us and the other 3 win teams. Another way to look at it: If we beat the Jets this weekend, none of the contenders for that last AFC playoff spot will have more than 1 win more than the Bills.

The problem isn't that we're too far out of it. As usual, the problem is finding a way to win our games.