Now we get to see what we have for 7 games

The season begins today. No more injury excuses. Lets take a hard look at this squad.

Our #2 and likely #3 WR will miss this week. Maybe we can start the season next week instead?

It's Friday.

Do the Pittsburgh Steelers even know which Buffalo Bills QB they'll be facing in a little over 48 hours? The Steelers have more or less lost a week to gameplan/practice/prepare.

Playing bait-and-switch with your team QB every week will surprise some opponents and you might win a game here and there. But it's not a successful way to win the season and make the playoffs.

It's Friday.

Do the Pittsburgh Steelers even know which Buffalo Bills QB they'll be facing in a little over 48 hours? The Steelers have more or less lost a week to gameplan/practice/prepare.

Playing bait-and-switch with your team QB every week will surprise some opponents and you might win a game here and there. But it's not a successful way to win the season and make the playoffs.

Geez, I didn't realize that this is what they were doing, I thought that we had two legitimately injured QB's.

The season started 10 weeks ago with, I believe, nearly everyone healthy.

Every team has injuries. Successful teams overcome them.

I think we've done about as well as anyone with two rookie QBs and a journeyman who until a few weeks ago played in one game. Add the rash of other injuries, and I'd say we pretty much did overcome.

The OP is right. The season starts this Sunday. We have everyone, except Woods, healthy for once, and we face a bevy of mediocre teams.

This is he NFL, not the PGA tour. There will always be injuries and often they will be to key players. Injuries are never a valid excuse in this league.

I think it's safe to say sans Falcons, the Bills have been one of the hardest-hit...and we have essentially three rookie quarterbacks.

I think we've done about as well as anyone with two rookie QBs and a journeyman who until a few weeks ago played in one game. Add the rash of other injuries, and I'd say we pretty much did overcome.

The OP is right. The season starts this Sunday. We have everyone, except Woods, healthy for once, and we face a bevy of mediocre teams.

The Bills positioned themselves with regards to the QB situation. Including keeping a #2 on the roster that Marrone seemed deathly afraid to start when Manuel was injured.

I know that the Bills have sucked for a long time and Rome was not built in a day. And I also like the apparent trajectory of the team more now than any time in the past 13 years and am very hopeful not only for the remainder of this season, but the upcoming seasons as well. But stating "the season starts now" is ludicrous, at least to me.

Edited by CodeMonkey

@Pittsburgh. 200 yards rushing and 5 sacks later Bills 23 Pittsbugh 14.

NYJETS. 3 Interceptions lead to 17 points. Bills 24 NYJets 17.

Atlanta, Rare Toronto win as Manuel throws 3TDS. Buffalo 31 Atlanta 17.

@Tampa, Close game last second FG by Carpenter does not go wide right, Buffalo 16 Tampa 14.

@Jacksonville, Bills post first shut out, Buffalo 24 Jacksonville 0.

Miami, 5 sacks and 4 turnovers freeze fish, Buffalo 28 Miami 20.

@New England, Pats mail it in and rest starters for playoffs, Buffalo 23 New England 13.

Bills Make Playoffs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Edited by bisonbrigade

The season started 10 weeks ago with, I believe, nearly everyone healthy.

Every team has injuries. Successful teams overcome them.

It's one thing if Peyton Manning goes down for Denver because that means their season is done. The Bills aren't faced with that predicament if Manuel goes down and should be able to play someone at this point in Manuel's career who is relatively close to his level of play.

SIgning Kolb was a huge risk given his injury history and IMO the root cause to the QB issues. The Bills couldn't have known both Manuel and Kolb would be hurt in the pre-season, but Kolb's durability issues in his career made that a greater possibility than other options. And it's this which has forced them into scrambling to find a guy who can play. Call it 20/20 hindsight or whatever. When the team had time to plan, their risk hurt them.

It's one thing if Peyton Manning goes down for Denver because that means their season is done. The Bills aren't faced with that predicament if Manuel goes down and should be able to play someone at this point in Manuel's career who is relatively close to his level of play.

SIgning Kolb was a huge risk given his injury history and IMO the root cause to the QB issues. The Bills couldn't have known both Manuel and Kolb would be hurt in the pre-season, but Kolb's durability issues in his career made that a greater possibility than other options. And it's this which has forced them into scrambling to find a guy who can play. Call it 20/20 hindsight or whatever. When the team had time to plan, their risk hurt them.

Yep. IMHO the Bills were seduced by the superior play of a guy in shorts (Kolb), and did TJax the favor of giving him the maximum opportunity to be picked up by another team. They stuck their fingers in their ears and went "Lalalalalalalalalalala" whilst Kolb's injury history was explained. TJax isn't a starter, but he's a very very competent backup and he's shown himself to be tough - played half a season in Seattle throwing with a torn pectoral muscle.

All of the QB follies would likely have been avoided if they kept TJax or kept him over Kolb.

Yep. IMHO the Bills were seduced by the superior play of a guy in shorts (Kolb), and did TJax the favor of giving him the maximum opportunity to be picked up by another team. They stuck their fingers in their ears and went "Lalalalalalalalalalala" whilst Kolb's injury history was explained. TJax isn't a starter, but he's a very very competent backup and he's shown himself to be tough - played half a season in Seattle throwing with a torn pectoral muscle.

All of the QB follies would likely have been avoided if they kept TJax or kept him over Kolb.

+ 1

I think they really messed up big time, and planned poorly. Going into an NFL season with no QB having any NFL experience was obscene.

This was the legacy of Buddy Nix. IMO.

ALso, if they DON"T draft a QB in the first three rounds this year, well, I don't know what else to say.

I think the Bills will go 5-2 to end it out. Weak schedule. Hopefully we are 8-8 and in last place still though, I want to play Jacksonville and Oakland and Pittsburgh next year! PLAYOFFS!

You got one of your wishes.

We will play Oakland next year, since the AFC East is scheduled to play the AFC West.

This is he NFL, not the PGA tour. There will always be injuries and often they will be to key players. Injuries are never a valid excuse in this league.

I believe injuries shouldn't be a continuous excuse - however, starting a new coaching staff, with new systems, and losing most of the entire starting secondary IS A VALID reason for play to decline. After all, Rogers LOST US THE GAME vs the Jets. Losing Manuel AND Kolb, leaving us with our 3rd and 4th choices for QB DOES make a REAL difference. I believe those are much more substantial injuries than most teams could overcome for more than a game or two. I happen to think we would be 6-3 right now had Manuel not been injured. However - I also believe, since we are a young team and we will continue to improve for the next few years, that those injuries have shown the team how resilient they are, how good their backups are, and will only strengthen us - it was a sort of a tempering, annealing process. I'm looking very much forward to seeing how this team, as a whole, responds to having their backs against the wall, with no more room for error. They can make the playoffs is they win out - it is still in their hands, and now they're healthy, and their schedule is favorable. This is a real good chance to see what type of team we have NOW (BTW - I'd use more paragraphs, but my return/enter button doesn't work on this site anymore for some reason!!!!)

Never? Yikes. A pile of IR-type Injuries end seasons my friend. The least injured quality teams are generally the teams who make the playoffs my friend. No one has any depth with the way the salary cap and free agency work. "next man up " is fine for a game or two but is a bunch of garbage over the course of a season.

Our #2 and likely #3 WR will miss this week. Maybe we can start the season next week instead?

Nah, Goodwin expected to be good to go...Wood likely out

Never? Yikes. A pile of IR-type Injuries end seasons my friend. The least injured quality teams are generally the teams who make the playoffs my friend. No one has any depth with the way the salary cap and free agency work. "next man up " is fine for a game or two but is a bunch of garbage over the course of a season.

The exception potentially when its an injured vet that has a high round draft pick sitting behind him being groomed to be his replacement...many times the young player comes in and outperforms the vet with more playing time...