10 things we learned from the Bills-Chiefs game with our 1 year old

COACH85

I'll end my comments on the topic with one question: for whom did you do this? If you say you did it for your son, you're not being honest.

i can't answer for him, but for myself I thoroughly enjoy sporting events with my entire family. I just find it an enjoyable experience. It's not for my kids, it's not for my wife, it's not for me, it's for us all. I choose and prefer not to do it at the Ralph for many well documented reasons, but we have fun at FNC as well as watching Bills and Sabres games on TV (even in bad years such at this :) ).

Edited by CodeMonkey

i can't answer for him, but for myself I thoroughly enjoy sporting events with my entire family. I just find it an enjoyable experience. It's not for my kids, it's not for my wife, it's not for me, it's for us all. I choose and prefer not to do it at the Ralph for many well documented reasons, but we have fun at FNC as well as watching Bills and Sabres games on TV (even in bad years such at this :) ).

yea but in this case, the child was so young that he couldnt really enjoy the sporting event. otherwise, id agree with your sentiment.

not to put words in the OPs mouth, but my impression was this was a little less about the actual game and more about giving the son (and maybe himself) the badge of honor of saying "i attended my first game at 1 year old"

Edited by NoSaint

yea but in this case, the child was so young that he couldnt really enjoy the sporting event. otherwise, id agree with your sentiment.

not to put words in the OPs mouth, but my impression was this was a little less about the actual game and more about giving the son (and maybe himself) the badge of honor of saying "i attended my first game at 1 year old"

It was also about getting to a Bills game now before it gets any colder then it already is and also because once my wife gives birth to our second child in March, I doubt very much we will be able to attend these sporting events until BOTH kids are older and not so dependent on Mommy and Daddy to take care of them. :)

Hey COACH85 -- I was a vocal detractor in your thread inquiring about bringing a one-year-old to a pro football game, but I'm glad you made it out unscathed. My opinion hasn't changed, and I think your post-game post reflects even you acknowledge the challenges presented by the situation.

I'll end my comments on the topic with one question: for whom did you do this? If you say you did it for your son, you're not being honest.

To be honest, we didn't really put much thought into "who we were doing this for". All we knew was that we wanted to see the Sabres and Bills for a weekend before it got any colder in the season and knew our chances of us doing this as a family again next year would be very hard pressed with "2" little ones to take care of so we figured why not Go For It Now! We ALWAYS take him with us to these big sporting events and we have fun having him with us, even if he will never remember the game. It will be cool to share pictures with him when he's older and hopefully he will be a Die Hard Bills fan like Mommy and Daddy too. The only difference this time was that he can walk now so we kind of expected he would get restless halfway or three quarters of the way through a game and that we might have to leave, which we promptly did so as to not ruin things for the people around us. The only way we will be able to go to a Bills and (or) Sabres game in the future will have to be for a getaway weekend and leave the 2 kids home. THEN, I can honestly say that we will be doing that for US! LOL We're still glad we brought him though. :)

I was worried about you so I'm glad you came out unscathed. Lower bowl in the ralph can be a tough neighborhood. Even I was having a bad time dealing with fans this week as it seemed many didn't really understand "stadium etiquette" if people know what i mean.

Even though you had a fine experience, no way would I ever bring my own 1 year old to a game. Especially in november. Yikes. JMO

Soon, this season, anyway, the Sabres games will not be very kid friendly too. When they stink, lots of other team fans, lots of cheap tickets, and more beer drank.

Yeah I made the mistake of taking my then 9 year old son to a Sabres/Habs game a few years ago. Several drunk obnoxious Habs fans near us. Plus on the way out we were going to use the bathroom before the drive home when my son asked what that was all over the ground at the entrance to the bathroom. I had to answer puke, and we went to find another bathroom.

I avoid Leafs and Habs games in Buffalo, I haven't seen issues with any other teams fans.

I'm glad you all had a great time and with due respect to eball, who's posts I enjoy very much, who cares who you did it for. You have the memories of taking your wife and son to see your favorite teams and your son has some cool photographs of him and his parents that he'll cherish the rest of his life. It's a win-win. And kudos to you for hanging in there for the first half. My wife and 5 1/2 year old daughter bailed after the first quarter, the cold was just too much for both of them. We planned for this possibility by taking two cars. We were in the Tops Family section in the East End Zone and did not have any issues. Next time I will bring binoculors though for when the teams are at the other end of the field!

Edited by need therapy

Interesting... I never heard anyone bringing such a young child to a game... I was thinking maybe 8-9 was pushing it. My son was 10 for his first game. I just figured that you would want them to actually remember the event.

Anyway... Did they charge you a ticket for your child? I think a poster asked, not sure if it was answered?

Interesting... I never heard anyone bringing such a young child to a game... I was thinking maybe 8-9 was pushing it. My son was 10 for his first game. I just figured that you would want them to actually remember the event.

Anyway... Did they charge you a ticket for your child? I think a poster asked, not sure if it was answered?

Our boy was FREE but my wife and I spent a nice chunk of change on two new white "Spiller" jerseys, 2 warm hats, gloves and scarf for the wife. Our son already had all his New Bill gear before we even made the trip. Just wish we knew ahead of time where the Hammer lot was so we could have finally met some Forum members. Edited by COACH85

Very glad to hear it worked out well and you had a great time as a family. Great pics and a wonderful looking family. I'd imagine carrying him around was pretty rough.

I remember begging, pleading, and throwing an unreal tantrum when being left out of a game vs. the Bungles I believe. I was 7 or 8.... So were talking '92-'93ish... Dad grew up round the Clinton, Fillmore way and said no chance in hell I was going. Tried to blame it on the cold if I recall. I wasn't having it... Later on in middle school I understood his reasoning. My first game I witnessed a Dolphins fan get pissed on and later beat when he opened his mouth, along with a drunken throw down amongst Bills fans... Touche pops.

Edited by SmokinES3

1. It was cold, not freezing but cold. Cold enough where we thought it would be a good idea to leave at halftime because we thought it might be too much for our little guy.

2. 7th Row Seats from field in Lower Section are a little too low and we would have been much better off up higher to see better and also for quick exits when needed. THOSE WERE ALOT OF WIDE STEPS TO GET BACK TO THE CONCOURSE! :)

3. We now know where Hammers Lot is but since we started off on the other side of the Stadium (Entrance 5), we didn't make it to Hammers.

4. The Concourses are even smaller then I remembered and the bathrooms are seriously outdated, HOLY SMOKES! It was a challenge getting out of their at halftime but we made it AND NO BEER SPILLED ON ANY OF US! LOL

5. We were surrounded by rowdy and cool fans who all acted appropriately cheering for our beloved Bills. Only 1 guy behind me with his 10 year old son seemed to ruin things just a little with his constant use of Mother F periodically throughout the game.

Nice example for your son! I wonder how he will be with his kids when he grows up. :)

6. The food was MUCH BETTER at the Sabres game. Maybe we just visited the wrong vendors but thats what it seemed like.

7. It really was a challenge to carry the little guy from parking lot, holding him the entire game, back and forth to bathroom once, and then back out to our car outside lot 5. Ahhhh, but it was well worth it this time!

8. The playing field looked awesome and the stadium itself looked better then I remember but I still can't get over those tiny concourses that have people packed in their like sardines during halftime.

9. The Bills Store to buy clothes and merchandise was terrible inside the gates. Better selection outside the gates. THAT was a first for me at ANY Pro Sports Team Stadium or Arena.

10. The Horrible, Negative Experience we were told we would have if we brought our child DID NOT happen. Everyone was cool around us, even thought it was great we were "breaking our kid in early" as a Bills fan.

Summary - We had a great time at Bills and Sabres although inside arena at Sabres game front row behind goalie was more comfortable. The Bills Stadium was rocking and so glad my wife and kid got to experience it for the first time.

MY WIFE WAS SOOOOOOOOO IMPRESSED WITH WHAT IT WAS LIKE TO BE AT A BILLS HOME GAME! She can't wait to go again in the future!

BUT, most members were right about bringing our child. Its doable, but VERY challenging and although nothing happened or came close to any problems, we will be leaving him home next time. :)

We will leave our son and expecting child home with relatives and make the 1 hour flight to Buffalo just the two of us. We will be able to stay for the entire Bills and Sabres games and not leave at start of 3rd period (Sabres) or Halftime (Bills) due to child starting to get cranky, weather conditions, or both. We were glad we took our son though and will have pictures and memories to last a lifetime. It was definitely a learning experience though in the process! LOL :)

Dressing warm and the noise canceling headphones were the 2 best ideas for both games. GO BILLS AND SABRES!

P.S. Unfortunately, our son also experienced how the Bills play their heart out only to find a way to lose the game in the end. I'm hoping and expecting this to turnaround very soon!

That sir is one nice post . Reminds of when i had kids. Jk. mine are all adult and a joy still. But your write up was a just a warm fuzzy for an old coot like me. Thanks for sharing the Exp!