Analytics: 1st down on the 1 yard line

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If youre gonna talk Analytics, show us the probabilities for each play. Just stating "analytics" doesn't automatically make your argument credible, sorry. I'm so sick of analytical being used by everyone when 99% of the population couldn't explain even the simplest statistical method.

Cincinnati game?

I'm of the opinion that you still run it 3 times unless you have a QB back there that you really trust. If you're going to throw it with a young QB you match up your big WR on the outside and throw a fade on 1st or 2nd down. Unfortunately the Bills don't have a big WR so just run the damn ball.

I'm of the opinion that you still run it 3 times unless you have a QB back there that you really trust. If you're going to throw it with a young QB you match up your big WR on the outside and throw a fade on 1st or 2nd down. Unfortunately the Bills don't have a big WR so just run the damn ball.

Stevie was wide open. It was the right call, Tuel read it wrong.

They passed on the second down where Chandler drew a penalty. I don't have a big problem with runs on first three downs at the 1 yd line I do have a problem with the formation they run out of. It's become very predictable.

With percentages favoring the offense, Marrone should have communicated with Hackett on 1st down to run the ball on 1st, 2nd and 3rd down as we will be going for it on the 4th down.,

Don't know if they would have gone for it, but too trusting of your green QB to make a throw over the middle there? I always like lining up with two TE's (like they did on downs 1 and 2) have the TE block down and release into EZ and a nice play fake by the QB. It works or not, but not gonna be a 100 yd INT return.

With percentages favoring the offense, Marrone should have communicated with Hackett on 1st down to run the ball on 1st, 2nd and 3rd down as we will be going for it on the 4th down.

You could be a freshman at any high school across the country and realize that you don't call a pass play at that moment, especially when you have a rookie QB and having KC on the Ropes. This is a play call that should get people fired. But of course Marrone will protect Hackett. Way to go Doug. Way to go Hackett. And way to go Russ. Great job guys. Great.

Thread of the day. This was the series that lost us the football game, and it's all on the coaches.

Yup. They rushed for what, 200 yards today? But they decide to get cute on the goal line with a virgin QB.

Even a FG there puts them up by 10.

Irrelevant, Percentages still heavily favor the offense in this situation.

In theory, I agree with you, and I think that given the circumstances today, a run was absolutely the correct call on 3rd down in that situation.

But, given this offense's track record, who gets the ball in that situation?

That's why you don't do it with a rookie QB in his first game starting. It obviously wasn't the right call because their young QB wasn't able to make the correct read.

Don't know if the DB blew the coverage or jumped the slant to the inside, but SJ was wide open. What Tuel did there was make up his mind at the line where he was going to throw it. A cardinal sin. He was gifted a TD if he read the defense, but instead he decides pre-snap and throws a pick-six. Perhaps Hackett should've called a lower risk pass such as a fade. Low % pass, but low % of a turnover.

That's why you don't do it with a rookie QB in his first game starting. It obviously wasn't the right call because their young QB wasn't able to make the correct read.

So it's ok for him to make a deep pass for a TD (the Goodwin one) but we shouldn't ask him to make a read like at the goal line?

Edited by Wayne Cubed

If youre gonna talk Analytics, show us the probabilities for each play. Just stating "analytics" doesn't automatically make your argument credible, sorry. I'm so sick of analytical being used by everyone when 99% of the population couldn't explain even the simplest statistical method.

Thank you

one week and it's Hackett is run run run predictable, He throws for it on first down and now he is pass happy. I thought was a great play call poorly executed.