Case Studies in Physics: The Sling Shot

BringBackFergy

Wow that was crazy... Dude is lucky to have not lost an eye or worse....

I could sense that's where this was heading when I first started watching it. But seeing the ball in mid flight and the injury at the end almost looked "arranged" for some reason. Either that of all those safety devices he incorporated into the sling shot failed to protect him from his own lapse in judgment (never take a shot from head on - go at an angle)

I wouldn't trust half those guys with a super soaker, and only three of them with anything bigger than a potato gun.

Especially the last guy. Hey, let's just drop the .577 on the floor. Then pick it up and look down the barrel.

Yeah I dont' know much (nothing at all) about guns, but the way A LOT of those guys were just winging that thing around didn't look right to me.

Presumably they only had the single shot loaded up?

Yeah I dont' know much (nothing at all) about guns, but the way A LOT of those guys were just winging that thing around didn't look right to me.

Presumably they only had the single shot loaded up?

Basic physics. You lean into a gun, tuck it hard against your shoulder, and put your weight on your front foot. Then the weight of your whole body and elasticity of your major muscle groups (thigh muscles and abdominals) soak up the recoil. Lean backwards, put your weight on your back foot, and most of the recoil's only absorbed by your shoulder and obliques. Hold the gun away from your shoulder, and you're not absorbing recoil, you're being hit in the shoulder with it.

Same basic Newtonian principles that say "Don't hit yourself in the face with a ricocheting stainless steel ball from a slingshot."

Basic physics. You lean into a gun, tuck it hard against your shoulder, and put your weight on your front foot. Then the weight of your whole body and elasticity of your major muscle groups (thigh muscles and abdominals) soak up the recoil. Lean backwards, put your weight on your back foot, and most of the recoil's only absorbed by your shoulder and obliques. Hold the gun away from your shoulder, and you're not absorbing recoil, you're being hit in the shoulder with it.

Same basic Newtonian principles that say "Don't hit yourself in the face with a ricocheting stainless steel ball from a slingshot."

Very informative, but I wasn't even referring to firing mechanics as much as whipping the rifle around willy nilly, with seemingly no regard for whether or not it was pointed directly in their face; picking it up by the barrel (as you mentioned); letting the damn thing just flail around the floor; yadda yadda.

He also appears to be near death, wearing a homemade head bandage, and nobody seems concerned.

He looked similar to 10% of the guys (and a few of the ladies) before walking into the stadium a few times. This poor fella definitely has a concussion of some sort (I can't figure out if the steel shot is in his forehead or if it deflected).

That is why you pour Champagne from a bottle not shoot it out you dumbass. !@#$ing Germans.

He looked similar to 10% of the guys (and a few of the ladies) before walking into the stadium a few times. This poor fella definitely has a concussion of some sort (I can't figure out if the steel shot is in his forehead or if it deflected).

Oh no, it was wedged firmly in his head.

That is why you pour Champagne from a bottle not shoot it out you dumbass. !@#$ing Germans.

Oh no, it was wedged firmly in his head.

:). Hey, I have nothing against Germans but the accent made it more enjoyable. As for whether the shot is in his forehead, please put out an APB for DC Tom to explain the speed of the shot hitting the mass of forehead bone and whether it can penetrate. I have no idea if it would lodge in there.

:). Hey, I have nothing against Germans but the accent made it more enjoyable. As for whether the shot is in his forehead, please put out an APB for DC Tom to explain the speed of the shot hitting the mass of forehead bone and whether it can penetrate. I have no idea if it would lodge in there.

I married a German and she'll agree with me on that.

Don't need to explain it, just watch the clip. In the second shot (I think), the shot dents the wood backing by about a quarter-inch. That's not enough to penetrate forehead bone (unless you're really soft-headed, like some people I can't mention. Though I can mention they mispell the letter "X".) Still enough to kill, though - depressed fracture and hemorrhage. Guy's lucky.

With a good slingshot and better shot (like: lead. Looks like he's using stainless steel bearings, which are too elastic), you theoretically could penetrate a skull. I don't know how easy it is, though. That's one for Mythbusters.