Annoying Announcers and My Thoughts

I was watching the end of the Dallas/Detroit game after the Bills game yesterday. After Dallas kicked the FG to go up by 4, Brian Billick (and whoever was the play by play), came out and starting calling the game over. They were discussing the lead they had in the NFC East and how Detroit was falling behind. They also mentioned how this could have tiebreaker implications and how Dallas should be very happy with where they were at the halfway point.

I was so confused. Detroit has Matt Stafford, Calvin Johnson (who had about 300 yards receiving at that point), the ball, and 1:03 to go. I was like, "Um...this game is far from over, not sure why these knuckleheads are acting like the game is over". Low and behold Detroit goes right down the field and scored the go ahead TD.

These announcers are idiots. It always amazes me how bad they are. I think Aikman and Buck are the only ones I can even stand.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ignored everything you said once you put the blame on Stevie going back in solely on his feet. This isn't backyard football. The head coach, O-coord, and WR coach all allowed him to go back in the game and STILL MAKE PLAYS. You would have to be a blubbering fool if you believe it was all on Stevie to go back in. Look at the spiller situation. Spiller said he could go the coach said no so spiller didn't play.

I never said it was all on him. It was plain for all to see hewas a shell of himself. And Spiller should have been held out a few games ago instead of getting nothing out of him and risking further injury.

All of the announcers in the world pale in comparison to Jon Gruden. The guy is the epitome of a douche. He panders to the lowest common denominator of football fans who want to see the "ooh's" and "aah's" and feel like they know football. I have heard the guy talk so many times and be so completely wrong it hurts me. That this guy was a Super Bowl winning coach makes me scratch my head. I know he knows the X's and O's when it is moving and he can break down plays as a coach but he cannot comment on them or explain them or coach them to save his life. There is a reason that the players he coached said he was not well liked and that's because he always seems to be talking down to you or telling you how something is when it is as obvious as the sun in the sky.

Gruden sucks.

As fans, each season we only get so many games, and we want the experience to be good, but bad announcers talking over the game you are watching has a BIG effect on the experience. There is a reason why Vin Scully, Al Michaels, and all those guys get big bucks. They are shaping the storyline of the game for the listener. It matters.

You might say "turn off the sound", but that shouldn't be necessary, and detracts from the experience. Then you might say "listen to the radio", but it's not synced with the stream I receive.

Totally disagree with this post. For me, it's ALL about the game....the teams playing & the action on the field. I can see for myself what's happening, and I usually have the sound down way low for most games. If it's the Jags vs. the Bucs, I don't care who the announcers are, I'm not wasting my time. Conversely, if it's the Broncos vs. the Colts, I want to watch it no matter who's in the broadcast booth. And don't get me started on the total waste of time of "eye candy" sideline reporters who ALWAYS ask the same old idiotic questions which can be adequately answered by ANYONE who has seen the action on the field. Sideline Bimbo: "Coach, you guys had three turnovers in the first half, and you're down 24-3. What do you have to do to get back in this game?" LOL Honestly, it wouldn't matter who was asking those stupid sideline questions; the answers are normally easily answered by anyone with a brain who is watching the game. Is there any football fan, anywhere, who watches a game just because there is eye candy halftime reporters!? So if there was an old, bald, fat guy, we wouldn't watch, even if it was a great matchup? Give me a break, ESPN, FOX, & CBS.

I dunno, maybe it's because I'm older and I don't need the audio stimuli like younger folks do, what with your myriad of daily audio potpourri. LOL Btw, I also detest noisy babies and/or children on airplanes, at restaurants, in stores, or virtually anywhere! Now get off my lawn!

Totally disagree with this post. For me, it's ALL about the game....the teams playing & the action on the field. I can see for myself what's happening, and I usually have the sound down way low for most games. If it's the Jags vs. the Bucs, I don't care who the announcers are, I'm not wasting my time. Conversely, if it's the Broncos vs. the Colts, I want to watch it no matter who's in the broadcast booth. And don't get me started on the total waste of time of "eye candy" sideline reporters who ALWAYS ask the same old idiotic questions which can be adequately answered by ANYONE who has seen the action on the field. Sideline Bimbo: "Coach, you guys had three turnovers in the first half, and you're down 24-3. What do you have to do to get back in this game?" LOL Honestly, it wouldn't matter who was asking those stupid sideline questions; the answers are normally easily answered by anyone with a brain who is watching the game. Is there any football fan, anywhere, who watches a game just because there is eye candy halftime reporters!? So if there was an old, bald, fat guy, we wouldn't watch, even if it was a great matchup? Give me a break, ESPN, FOX, & CBS.

I dunno, maybe it's because I'm older and I don't need the audio stimuli like younger folks do, what with your myriad of daily audio potpourri. LOL Btw, I also detest noisy babies and/or children on airplanes, at restaurants, in stores, or virtually anywhere! Now get off my lawn!

Then you aren't really a "listener" then, are you?

It's fine being a purist and all, but for us common fans, the announcers matter. Most people watching are being engaged by the play announcers as they watch, or else they wouldn't be there (they tried games without announcers in the early 80's...FAIL).

I'm 46, and none of this has to do with my age. They have announcers for a reason. They have their "A-Team", "B-Team", "C..." etc. because there are big differences in the quality and popularity of announcing teams.

I don't give a drip about any perceived bias against the Bills, I just don't want to sit in a room with an annoying person talking to me about the game, all game long, which is what it amounts to.

It's fine being a purist and all, but for us common fans, the announcers matter. Most people watching are being engaged by the play announcers as they watch, or else they wouldn't be there (they tried games without announcers in the early 80's...FAIL).

What about the MILLIONS of fans who go to a sports bar every week and don't hear one iota of the TV announcers!? LOL They may hear the home team's game, but not the game they're really watching (like when I go to a bar to watch the Bills, but the sound is up for the Jags game only).

Be careful with your generalizations.

Again, my point is soundly proven by the fact that "bad" announcers will NOT keep you from watching a great matchup, while if it's a crap matchup, "good" announcers won't make you watch it just so you can hear Al & Chris. And honestly, 99% of the "analysis" done by any #2 man in the booth is very obvious. Examples from yesterday: Dallas vs. Detroit, the play before Detroit's winning TD run by their QB, the Cowboys had only single coverage on Megatron on his reception down to the one...Stevie Wonder could have seen that. Another one....Denver vs. Wash., the play where Denver was at the one and initially lined up in a set with 2 in the backfield, and 2 tight ends (they weren't really tight ends though) and it looked like a sure run, then they shifted around and put 3 receivers on the right side, but Wash only had 2 DBs there to cover...it was an easy TD pass for P. Manning. Again, I didn't need any "color commentator" to tell me what I just saw. It ain't rocket science. LOL

[/size]

What about the MILLIONS of fans who go to a sports bar every week and don't hear one iota of the TV announcers!? LOL They may hear the home team's game, but not the game they're really watching (like when I go to a bar to watch the Bills, but the sound is up for the Jags game only).

Again, my point is soundly proven by the fact that "bad" announcers will NOT keep you from watching a great matchup, while if it's a crap matchup, "good" announcers won't make you watch it just so you can hear Al & Chris. And honestly, 99% of the "analysis" done by any #2 man in the booth is very obvious. Examples from yesterday: Dallas vs. Detroit, the play before Detroit's winning TD run by their QB, the Cowboys had only single coverage on Megatron on his reception down to the one...Stevie Wonder could have seen that. Another one....Denver vs. Wash., the play where Denver was at the one and initially lined up in a set with 2 in the backfield, and 2 tight ends (they weren't really tight ends though) and it looked like a sure run, then they shifted around and put 3 receivers on the right side, but Wash only had 2 DBs there to cover...it was an easy TD pass for P. Manning. Again, I didn't need any "color commentator" to tell me what I just saw. It ain't rocket science. LOL

I give up, you are too smart for me. I have a feeling that you are the annoying guy at the bar doing "Color Commentary" for those around you. Thanks..that's why I never go to bars to watch games, and instead watch them at home, like the majority of viewers.

Edited by Marauder'sMicro

[/size]

And honestly, 99% of the "analysis" done by any #2 man in the booth is very obvious. Examples from yesterday: Dallas vs. Detroit, the play before Detroit's winning TD run by their QB, the Cowboys had only single coverage on Megatron on his reception down to the one...Stevie Wonder could have seen that. Another one....Denver vs. Wash., the play where Denver was at the one and initially lined up in a set with 2 in the backfield, and 2 tight ends (they weren't really tight ends though) and it looked like a sure run, then they shifted around and put 3 receivers on the right side, but Wash only had 2 DBs there to cover...it was an easy TD pass for P. Manning. Again, I didn't need any "color commentator" to tell me what I just saw. It ain't rocket science. LOL

You should be careful with your generalizations as well. Not everyone watching on TV is a superfan of tackle football. I think it is fair to say that most have never played at even a high school level much less higher. And many are probably women and children who might not know the game very well at all. What is obvious to one person might not be to everyone watching.

A great example is watching Olympic hockey on TV. The announcers explain things like offsides every game which every hockey fan already knows. But a TV audience has a very wide range of knowledge of the game.

Edited by CodeMonkey

All of the announcers in the world pale in comparison to Jon Gruden. The guy is the epitome of a douche. He panders to the lowest common denominator of football fans who want to see the "ooh's" and "aah's" and feel like they know football. I have heard the guy talk so many times and be so completely wrong it hurts me. That this guy was a Super Bowl winning coach makes me scratch my head. I know he knows the X's and O's when it is moving and he can break down plays as a coach but he cannot comment on them or explain them or coach them to save his life. There is a reason that the players he coached said he was not well liked and that's because he always seems to be talking down to you or telling you how something is when it is as obvious as the sun in the sky.

Gruden sucks.

Everybody is a "heck of a player," according to Gruden. He is brutal. Dierdorf is almost as bad. For me it seems as if Gruden doesn't want to say anything of consequence so he doesn't upset any players for when he gets back into coaching.

Good grief, bruised feeling over the game announcers is a new low.

Gumble and Deirdorf don't get paid to know every detail of perennial bottom feeding teams. That's not what sells the NFL.

Actually, they do get paid- and very well I might add- to do exactly that. That is exactly what sells the NFL to the markets that are watching those broadcasts. Wow. Mayock is a good example of a professional announcer.

Edited by tedstrong

Gruden sucks.

Agree on your Gruden take. I think he's in love with him self, also.

The thing I can't stand is how so many announcers for the NFL just blindly idolize key players to the point where the bias is nauseating. Guys like Brees and Brady never make poor plays, or are forced into bad plays because of good defense, there is just constant fellating and worship. See and react to what is going on in front of you for what it is - have an original thought. Dierdorf hysterically making excuses for every bad play Brady makes is beyond ridiculous.

I personaly end up muting pretty any game Brady is playing in now - I muted the game yesterday when somehow Dierdorf managed to start talking about Brady for absolutely no reason whatsoever other than to profess more love for him.

Exactly.

It's fine being a purist and all, but for us common fans, the announcers matter.

I'm 46, and none of this has to do with my age. They have announcers for a reason. They have their "A-Team", "B-Team", "C..." etc. because there are big differences in the quality and popularity of announcing teams.

So judging by some of the posts in here, "they" (ESPN, I guess) have a "D-Team" announcer on Monday Night Football, one of the premiere showcases of the NFL!?!?!? What's their reasoning there? LOL