Father chokes coach......

millbank

A parent has been charged after the Jr. Canadiens minor atom coach was choked to the point of blacking out during the first period of a game at Chesswood Arenas yesterday afternoon.

Sgt. David Godfrey of 32 Division confirmed to the Star the father was at the station last night where he was being held until a court appearance this morning on a charge of choking.

"I am sick of this stuff," said Greater Toronto Hockey League president John Gardner. "I was told by the referee that he has never seen anything quite like this.

"In the first period, a (parent) reached over the glass partition and grabbed the coach by the neck hard enough that the coach was forced down on his knees trying to get his breath. After they got this guy off him and he got his breath, he didn't want to upset the (9-year-old) boys so he went on with the game. I'm waiting for a written report from the referee and if it is as has been reported there will be a definite arena ban (for the father)."

Mark Teskey, like many minor hockey coaches, had a policy that if a player missed a practice he would sit out for a couple of shifts during the game. The parent reportedly had disagreed with that rule.

Father Chokes Coach

That is just wrong.....that father should be banned from ever attending youth games....EVER

I was just discussing with some other youth player parents what is wrong with youth sports as a whole (a discussion far to long to post here)

But needless to say...it is a shame and it happens on both sides of the fence (coaches and parents) that we all seem to forget what youth sports are supposed to be all about:

- Teaching them the game

- Teaching a youth player the what it means to have teamwork and be a part of something bigger then themself

- Winning games (and that is LAST on the list)

We have a big problem with nepotism/favoritism on the youth sports programs in my area......

I know that these examples of violence are the exception rather than the rule, but they make you wonder if kids were not better off just playing pickup sports at the local playground rather than the organized sports where TOO many parents think their child is going to be the next great professional athlete.

Pick up games are what I did through out my childhood, after school and all weekend long. Now I go by that same playground and it is empty day after day. :)

I know that these examples of violence are the exception rather than the rule, but they make you wonder if kids were not better off just playing pickup sports at the local playground rather than the organized sports where TOO many parents think their child is going to be the next great professional athlete.

Pick up games are what I did  through out my childhood, after school and all weekend long.  Now I go by that same playground and it is empty day after day. :)

209079[/snapback]

I completely agree with this post. Kids are supposed to be kids, which means learning to interact with each other without a bunch of adults butting in and offering "input."