FIRE Danny Crossman; NOW!

CSBill

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As Mark Twain said: "There are lies, damn lies, and statistics." Sometimes you need to trust your eyes over the stats sheet. And what we have seen in the last two weeks is all the evidence I need: When the game was on the line in two straight games, the kick coverage units 1) did cost us a game last week, and 2) almost did it again this week. Moreover, throw in the Cleveland game for exhibit "B."

A case could be made for pinning a lose on the kick coverage teams for two games, and almost a 3rd . . . and we've only played 7.

I trust my eyes as well and have seen them stop the return man before the 20 more often than not too...special teams have been erratic, but not as bad as some people here would have it, and there's hope the bad moments can be corralled.

I trust my eyes as well and have seen them stop the return man before the 20 more often than not too...special teams have been erratic, but not as bad as some people here would have it, and there's hope the bad moments can be corralled.

i have seen tremendous individual plays but i have not consistently seen the UNIT perform the way it should. when no one makes one of those "beat your guy heads up" type of plays, the units have often fallen apart. ie easley has been a beast getting downfield and shedding blocks, but otherwise, we havent impressed and have had some real mistakes.

Edited by NoSaint

I trust my eyes as well and have seen them stop the return man before the 20 more often than not too...special teams have been erratic, but not as bad as some people here would have it, and there's hope the bad moments can be corralled. But I was pretty horrified by that last return (and relieved that the defense did not go all typical-Bills and give up just enough for the last minute heartbreaker long FG)

I got on this bus after the Browns game. He should have never been hired in the first place.

Just looked up the stats...

We're 28th best in kick return average.

12th best in punt return average.

7th best in kick return coverage.

28th best in punt return coverage.

Our average ranking for these ST units is about 19 of 32. We're a bit below league average but not as much as I had guessed.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/returning/sort/yardsPerPuntReturn/position/defense/order/false

The problem is that ST went from a strength to a weakness. We have explosive return men and bad return numbers (I realize Goodwin was hurt). In addition, they have struggled in coverage at the most important times (ie yesterday). He's just not very good. He has a great gunner, kicker and return men. You should be producing better with that as your base.