Byrd ready? Marrone "stop sign?" More than meets the eye?

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/week-5/bills-notebook-byrd-ready-to-go-but-marrone-puts-up-stop-sign-20131004

All along, Byrd has said (paraphrasing), "I'll get out there when I'm 100%." Marrone has seemed to take the position that there's really an injury and never suggested otherwise. Then, Byrd says that he is ready, and Marrone holds him out citing a "short week." This at the same time that he's got two banged-up RBs and others at <100% in the game. Is it because Byrd wasn't ready? Was he really more hurt than he claimed to be and Marrone's staff said to hold him out (there's something to be said for playing in front of a national audience)? Is there something else going on?

I'm just wondering why the hell Byrd wasn't on that field last night.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/week-5/bills-notebook-byrd-ready-to-go-but-marrone-puts-up-stop-sign-20131004

All along, Byrd has said (paraphrasing), "I'll get out there when I'm 100%." Marrone has seemed to take the position that there's really an injury and never suggested otherwise. Then, Byrd says that he is ready, and Marrone holds him out citing a "short week." This at the same time that he's got two banged-up RBs and others at <100% in the game. Is it because Byrd wasn't ready? Was he really more hurt than he claimed to be and Marrone's staff said to hold him out (there's something to be said for playing in front of a national audience)? Is there something else going on?

I'm just wondering why the hell Byrd wasn't on that field last night.

I have to think they believed he wasn't play book ready, even if physically ready. If he doesn't know the calls it's not strictly a plug and play situation.

I called this, and it wasn't that hard. Marrone is a fairly conservative coach in many ways, including wanting his players to practice fully before playing. One of his quotes regarding this matter said as much: something along the lines of needing Byrd to have a full week of practice before he plays, and "maybe if it was a Sunday game..." I fully expect Byrd to play against Cincy, although I don't know if he'll start.

He damn well better be "play book' ready. His feet are hurting,not his head

Sure. Being ready with all the calls on field in a new defense without having been in training camp or OTAs is easy.

If you want to argue about whose fault that is, fine.

But it's Marrone's decision to do what he is comfortable with. Was it the right one? The result indicates that this is open to debate.

After 6 weeks of being with the team, Byrd has to know all the calls by now. As I see it, there are two options as to what went on here:

1) with 10 days until the next game, they are being cautious and want to get Byrd a full regular week of preparation before his first live action

2) Organizationally, the Bills know Byrd is playing a game and decide to fire back and sit him from a Nationally televised game.

How would you have played this one if you ran the FO? I'm just curious?

What I would do is exactly what the Bills did with Wood and Kyle Williams -- when you see you have a good player you extend him BEFORE his contract year --- both Byrd and Levitre should have been extended much earlier --- the crap that some people on this board suggest that the Bills can't afford to give a guard so much money or a safety that much money, is just that CRAP --- let's all take a step back and look at this FO --- it's been 13 years since a playoff --- we are on rebuilding project #5 in that time span --- until we find ourselves in cap hell --- until we consistently draft talented players that develop and need/want/deserve to get paid -- if you draft a guy that turns out to be a winner --- extend him --- On the positive side, there is room for optimism in the recent drafts --- Dareus is stepping up and looking solid, A Williams looks to have found his position in SS; Glenn, Spiller, Alonzo, Woods, Gilmore and Carrington all look like the real deals --- so don't screw these guys up -- when the time allows for an extension, do it ----

What I would do is exactly what the Bills did with Wood and Kyle Williams -- when you see you have a good player you extend him BEFORE his contract year --- both Byrd and Levitre should have been extended much earlier --- the crap that some people on this board suggest that the Bills can't afford to give a guard so much money or a safety that much money, is just that CRAP --- let's all take a step back and look at this FO --- it's been 13 years since a playoff --- we are on rebuilding project #5 in that time span --- until we find ourselves in cap hell --- until we consistently draft talented players that develop and need/want/deserve to get paid -- if you draft a guy that turns out to be a winner --- extend him --- On the positive side, there is room for optimism in the recent drafts --- Dareus is stepping up and looking solid, A Williams looks to have found his position in SS; Glenn, Spiller, Alonzo, Woods, Gilmore and Carrington all look like the real deals --- so don't screw these guys up -- when the time allows for an extension, do it ----

It takes two. Neither Byrd or Levitre were going to forego their "once in a lifetime opportunity" (as Levitre put it) to test the market. Period.

Players have to be agreeable to being extended before their contracts expire. Carrington is the latest example of a player that wasn't.

GO BILLS!!!

Now that Byrd is 100% the bills can trade him before Oct 29. He can claim PF anytime and sit again when he wants with some other team willing to over pay him.

It takes two. Neither Byrd or Levitre were going to forego their "once in a lifetime opportunity" (as Levitre put it) to test the market. Period.

Players have to be agreeable to being extended before their contracts expire. Carrington is the latest example of a player that wasn't.

GO BILLS!!!

When a player won't extend while still under contract, not the tag, that's when to trade them, instead of letting them walk like Levitre.

We know that answer, same as everyone else here -- trade him for Drew Brees and his entire offensive line.

hah! Exactly, no brainer!!

Watch whats happening in dallas with claiborne, some rumors here about trade with bills,, only rumors at this point, but with byrd sitting when he presumably healty gotta wonder,

That would be awesome. Extremely unlikely, but awesome.