Bucs Release Josh Freeman

really? Cause the story I heard yesterday was that the team did vote him one of their captains, but the thought is that the poll was rigged by the coaches so that he wouldn't become captain.

Of course only the players in that locker room would be able to tell you that, but if be interested in hearing what really happened.

So essentially this whole debacle is just the plot to All The Right Moves

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

According to a report I heard on the network about an hour ago, they claimed he is an unrestricted free agent. They said they (bucs) were waiting for the need to arise at QB position due to injury and try to work a trade but that strategy never played out. Said also the Bucs spoke with all 31 teams and no one showed interest. They said the Bucs owe him the remainder of his salary for 2013...which according to them was 6.2 mil. Who knows ? LOL !

I think a fresh start would do the kid good. Jax does seem to make a lot of sense as others here have pointed out.

Thanks for the info. Also, I think you may be right after later reports of Freeman getting almost $6 million on his way out of TB.

Former bills qb and former freeman qb coach weighs in:

profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/03/packers-assistant-raves-about-josh-freeman/

Van pelt has good stuff to say about freeman

Worked with hacket here on the (and no I don't think its happening) chance that they pursue him I imagine that would be the first person they call to talk to.

Edited by NoSaint

profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/03/packers-assistant-raves-about-josh-freeman/

And the link: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/03/packers-assistant-raves-about-josh-freeman/

I think he's subject to waivers since he's still on his rookie deal.

Negative, he's completed 4 years of service. He was drafted in 2009.

Can't say I'm surprised after everything that's happened this week, but wow. A guy goes from QB of the future to cut within two weeks?

If someone claims him, do they have to assume his contract? That might preclude some teams who otherwise would jump in a second.

No, I don't believe so. FA means free to negotiate. Any obligation to compensate the other team (by assuming his contract etc) was ended when he was cut.

Do waiver rules apply with Freeman? Do the lower teams in the standings have dibs or is Freeman literally a free man?

PTR

Free man. 4 years of accrued service

Negative, he's completed 4 years of service. He was drafted in 2009.

No, I don't believe so. FA means free to negotiate. Any obligation to compensate the other team (by assuming his contract etc) was ended when he was cut.

Free man. 4 years of accrued service

Yep, Already figured this out.

where there is smoke there is fire. Bucs are privy to some knowledge. Why else drop your starting QB all the while paying him $6.6 million this year?

I think the smoke is what comes out of their HC ears and out of their FO PR, and the fire is the HC temper, but that's just me. Well, me and a few observations, such as the stupidity of blitzing the victory formation.

Freeman had a damned good year in 2010 under Raheem Morris in a WCO, and a decent year in 2011, marred by interceptions because their defense sucked great big wads of phlem and he was playing from behind. He played poorly in 2012 under Schiano especially as the season went down the tubes with a 5 game losing streak.

According to OvertheCap, Freeman salary is $8.43 million this year

I think the reason the Bucs cut him is

1) no one would trade for him - why should any team give up a dime or a draft pick when the situation was clearly and publically unstable and escalating?

2) due to the unstable and escalating situation, Tampa had to do something to stop the insanity

3) I think Tampa were setting up to suspend Freeman (hence the fines for "conduct detrimental to the team")

4) I think the NFLPA and the league made it clear they would not stand for a hinky suspension based upon fines levied in the whole atmosphere (leaked drug program, confusing stories about being asked not to attend meetings etc). At best it would result in a prolonged and intensified distraction

So what alternative did the Bucs have? Basically the Bucs pi**ed in their own well. Schiano is a dead man walking. And it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.