More Cover 2 , Less Man to Man

TheBackupQB

for the first time all season, our Secondary look confident...

Sure they gave up a couple of TDs...but they were under ariel attack all game from a superbowl winning/MVP QB...and held their groud...

I like the Cover 2 to w/ Alonso and Lawson floating around...and it take less pressure off of a young inexperienced secondary

and if our D-Line can continue to put pressure on the QB...it just seem like a good fit...

Sure they gave up a couple of TDs...but they were under ariel attack all game from a superbowl winning/MVP QB...and held their groud...

I like the Cover 2 to w/ Alonso and Lawson floating around...and it take less pressure off of a young inexperienced secondary

and if our D-Line can continue to put pressure on the QB...it just seem like a good fit...

It wasn't just cover-2. It was some nickel, too. Robey being in there at Nickel was amazing. An UDFA in over a 4th and 5th round selection!?

We generated pressure in Nickel. We have a lot to look forward to and can hope we can hold McGahee back. If we can then we will prevail.

Cover 2 is just the shell. They used many different coverage packages inside the 2, including several man looks; and used multiple blitz packages. It looked as though Pettine used his standard multiple-D, but gameplanned around the 2 shell.

I agree that I liked the way it looked in this matchup.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

I greatly dislike the cover 2. We've seen this team run it enough over the years to last me a lifetime.

What is the cover 2, and why is it bad?

How is this cover 2 like the past cover 2's?

What skillsets do we have in the current players which are similar to the last to make you dislike it?

I greatly dislike the cover 2. We've seen this team run it enough over the years to last me a lifetime.

Every team runs a cover two coverage scheme all it means is two defenders covering the deep halves of the field. It gives the corners some help deep. You can still blitz and have an aggressive defense.

Every team runs a cover two coverage scheme all it means is two defenders covering the deep halves of the field. It gives the corners some help deep. You can still blitz and have an aggressive defense.

A lot of teams run a cover 1, as well. The Ravens and Steelers ran varying types of shell coverages over the top to play up the strengths of Reed and Polamalu. Ed Reed was always the deep man. Steelers had Polamalu play the line hard with a cover 3 on many plays to let him play off the LOS.

What is the cover 2, and why is it bad?

How is this cover 2 like the past cover 2's?

What skillsets do we have in the current players which are similar to the last to make you dislike it?

The cover 2 typically leaves the middle of the field vulnerable since you have 2 high safeties playing closer to the sidelines. With a guy like Jordan Cameron, I'd rather let Hoyer try and beat us deep than gash us over the middle all day.

You're also relying almost exclusively on your front 4 getting pressure on the QB to be successful.

Playing the cover 2 is fine unless that's what you line up in all the time. Otherwise it would be like having Wannstedt coach this defense again.

Edited by Bangarang

The cover 2 typically leaves the middle of the field vulnerable since you have 2 high safeties playing closer to the sidelines. With a guy like Jordan Cameron, I'd rather let Hoyer try and beat us deep than gash us over the middle all day.

You're also relying almost exclusively on your front 4 getting pressure on the QB to be successful.

Playing the cover 2 is fine unless that's what you line up in all the time. Otherwise it would be like having Wannstedt coach this defense again.

Our front 4 got it done yesterday. They got it done against Carolina. They did fairly well against the Pats.

If we have good cover corners playing proper zone - which they have done for 8 qtrs - cover two is the only way to play.

We don't play cover 2 all the time. We are playing cover 4 a lot of the time and no one notices.

A lot of teams run a cover 1, as well. The Ravens and Steelers ran varying types of shell coverages over the top to play up the strengths of Reed and Polamalu. Ed Reed was always the deep man. Steelers had Polamalu play the line hard with a cover 3 on many plays to let him play off the LOS.

Yup. We have been playing a lot of cover-1 and cover-0 the last few weeks. Every coverage is used it just depends on the situation and personnel.

Hahaha :w00t: , I laughed when I saw the title to this thread. Remember the days when the Cover 2 was despised by this board. Now, it seems to be our best friend. Proving once again, it's all relative to the circumstances, and probably further cementing Pettine early enshrinement into the TBD Coaches Hall of Fame. Or at least, our CROY award = Coaches Rookie of the Year :rolleyes:

Yup. We have been playing a lot of cover-1 and cover-0 the last few weeks. Every coverage is used it just depends on the situation and personnel.

and a lot of "cover no one" versus the Jets.

Hahaha :w00t: , I laughed when I saw the title to this thread. Remember the days when the Cover 2 was despised by this board. Now, it seems to be our best friend. Proving once again, it's all relative to the circumstances, and probably further cementing Pettine early enshrinement into the TBD Coaches Hall of Fame. Or at least, our CROY award = Coaches Rookie of the Year :rolleyes:

Nah, it's the best thing ever because no one gets it.

You can run cover 2 with cover 0. I would rather we run cover 4.

Crap. Might as well explain it. Gilmore man up, island. Lawson underneath the guy, McKelvin on top. FS play cover 2.

Edited by jboyst62