officiating in the nfl

I live outside the country and have been able to watch a lot of games with nfl gamepass. The one thing that stands out to me is the horrible officiating, league wide. The Texans and the Jets both set franchise records for all-time penalties last week. Almost everything is reviewed, there are constant stoppages, the officials always seem confused, they miss simple calls constantly. I could give dozens of examples, but I don't have time.

I think after last year's strike, the officials want to prove how important they are by becoming the main feature of the game. It's too much, and it's hurting the flow, and integrity of the game.

The thing I hear by announcers all the time now is "oh, that's a good non-call by the officials." -- which basically means that we now are a spot where we praise the officials for doing their job and not disrupting the game.

I'm furious with the way this is going and I can't believe nobody is talking about it... Fire them all, stop interfering with the competition on the field...

Edited by MarkKelso'sHelmet

It actually isn't that bad. You just thinks it's bad b.c you're a fanatic.

It was a million times worse when the replacement refs were in.

huh, what, where, when why? do you actually have something coherent to add to the conversation? what evidence have i given you that i'm a fanatic? you're posting on a fan message board, like me. what does that make you, an accomplished gentleman?

Is it the officials or is it the rules? Serious question, only throwing it out there as I don't know the answer. Is it possible for anyone to step in and do a credible job in the situation defined by this rulebook?

good question. i don't know. i do know that there are too many pass interference penalties, too may personal fouls. and way too many reviews. I saw a player get flagged for trash talking his opponent in the texans game. in the cowboys game, a flag for a "throat slash." officials are makings errors with spots, with downs. it's really out of control.

huh, what, where, when why? do you actually have something coherent to add to the conversation? what evidence have i given you that i'm a fanatic? you're posting on a fan message board, like me. what does that make you, an accomplished gentleman?

You are a fan like everyone else including me right? If not why would you be here... Fan is short for fanatic so no fan like the refs. Even Pat fans think the refs are out to get them. Your ref thread doesn't really need amazing answers, just the correct one.

You must be new here to complain about the refs.

Edited by Meatloaf Sandwich

The replay rules now seem to dictate officials calls. Since turnovers and TDs are automatically reviewed I believe that the official will call a catch for a TD or call it a turnover if there is any chance of it being so, even if they don't think so. This way the review will drive getting the right call. The "safety" rules for hits also cause problems as the official has to make a judgment call of whether the player used his head or went after the head while the players are flying around. That is a hard call and the league dictates "error on the side of safety" so you see many more of these penalties called that should not be. Add to that the Hu-Def screens and super slow motion, a fan or replay official can now see things that were never seen before. Overall, being an official now, is much harder that it was 10 years ago.

I was one of the few people who defended and even preferred the replacement officials. They were more like college officials-- much less likely to meddle. Yeah, penalties are missed-- but I'd rather have that than the opposite, and get 10 "hands to the face" penalties per game.

I preferred them as well. It seemed the networks had it out for them before they officiated a game, while completely forgetting that the "regular" refs were worse. Now we get the "hands to the face" and no holding calls at all, even when the holding prevents a QB hurry or sack. Not sure what is going on, seems worse this year than ever.

I preferred them as well. It seemed the networks had it out for them before they officiated a game, while completely forgetting that the "regular" refs were worse. Now we get the "hands to the face" and no holding calls at all, even when the holding prevents a QB hurry or sack. Not sure what is going on, seems worse this year than ever.

Yea replacement refs did great... How quickly you forget.

Is it the officials or is it the rules? Serious question, only throwing it out there as I don't know the answer. Is it possible for anyone to step in and do a credible job in the situation defined by this rulebook?

I will say they are consistently calling odd calls this year, while almost never calling holding---at all. Perhaps it is a new emphasis by the NFL (call less holding: protect QB.) Call more hands to the face (prevent concussions?).

Yea replacement refs did great... How quickly you forget.

never said they did great, did I? But they were not as awful as everyone made them out to be. They were certainly no worse than the regular refs.

I will say they are consistently calling odd calls this year, while almost never calling holding---at all. Perhaps it is a new emphasis by the NFL (call less holding: protect QB.) Call more hands to the face (prevent concussions?).

never said they did great, did I? But they were not as awful as everyone made them out to be. They were certainly no worse than the regular refs.

They weren't? That is odd since they actually did do worse. Calling a punt inside the 5 a touchback? You forgot that? How about everyone screaming for the refs to call holding or PI penalties? How quickly you forgot... You want things to change b.c you think the Bills will win if we have crappy refs that don't see our players messing up. Guess what it won't matter, Jets set a record number of penalties and the Bills still lost. Only wanting bad officials so you can hope your team doesn't get as many penalties isn't a good reason. You basicly want a ref that only calls penalties for the other team.

Edited by Meatloaf Sandwich

good question. i don't know. i do know that there are too many pass interference penalties, too may personal fouls. and way too many reviews. I saw a player get flagged for trash talking his opponent in the texans game. in the cowboys game, a flag for a "throat slash." officials are makings errors with spots, with downs. it's really out of control.

the throat slash isnt a judgement call - its a specifically defined motion that is absolutely against the rules. it has been for years. there was even a huge push to get the message to teams/players when it became illegal.

sometimes i think part of the reason fans get upset with officials is the fan doesnt know the rule themselves. thats not to excuse all bad calls but it often seems like the angry threads about officials amount to either the fan misunderstanding the rules, or simply not agreeing with a judgement call going against them.