How many injuries are caused by PEDs?

Prickly Pete

how many injuries are healed faster because of peds is a good question too

Every time I post a question, the first response is someone telling me about a different, better question. I guess I will stick to responses, and maybe derail a few threads.

how many injuries are healed faster because of peds is a good question too

Talk to this guy...

Think the more relevant question is how much of the injuries are caused by PEDs?

I see estimates of between 10-50% of the league taking HGH.Guys carrying way more weight than their bodies are designed for, and i think it contrbutes greatly to things like torn pecs, torn biceps etc that we never saw even 10-15 years ago.

Always cracks me up when these guys lose 70lbs as soon as they retire...but no, not taking any juice!

This question was raised recently, and I'm wondering, how many injuries are caused by PEDs?

I'll try and answer. I seem to remember Jason Giambi seemed to have a weird injury on the Yanks in 2007 (maybe?) that commentators were speculating might have been attributed to steroids. I can't recall what the specific injury was and google hasn't been much help.

I'd say a lot of these "dangers" we heard associated with steroids in the past could probably be more attributed (in my humble completely uneducated opinion) to guys self medicating, rather than the drugs themselves. Anything that you're putting in your body that could be considered a controlled substance is prescribed by medical professionals for a reason.

The fact that most of the "cheaters" these days are now using "designer" steroids prescribed by doctors in what you might term controlled environments makes me wonder if this stuff is pretty safe these days. It's obviously safer, but who knows how much?

Edited by TheLynchTrain

An example by way of an answer: Brandon Spoon of the Bills ruptured his biceps lifting weights back in 2002. The consensus then was that such injuries happen when guys are using PEDs, which allows them to work out past natural tiredness and therefore put too much strain not only on muscles but also on the tendons that connect and support them. The body has natural limits, and overuse of PEDs, which can lead to overtraining, can cross those limits.

Read up on the Essendon Football Club, AFL. Side just lost next years draft, this season & coach out for next year. In short, players still really don't know what the sport scientist was injecting & the coach too concerned about keeping his reputation. Ugly.

I think this is an excellent question to ponder. PEDs make your body capable of more than it was designed for. Perfect example is Tiger Woods in golf. There's been pretty wide speculation that Tiger Woods has taken PEDs. His doctor Anthony Galea has been busted buying them.

A few years later, Tiger is injured, Then injured again. Then injured again. Add to that his strange behavioral issues, and boom. Not only that, Tiger isn't a guy with a big frame. Anyone who sees him up close can see how small his frame is, and probably not meant to carry the muscle he's tried to put on.

Same for NFL players. Add extreme collisions to the mix, and there are tons of injuries.

Different ways to look at it. I used to compete at a national level in powerlifting so I was tested with lie detectors, urine, and at the nationals hair. Hair picks up everything. (BTW- I never took anything once in my life)

These guys are not taking designer steroids, they are taking GH, and Deer Antler, etc. GH is especially dangerous as it not only decreases healing time, and improve rehbilitation, but to your point collisions are harder because your body as everyone knows is growing faster than it should. Here's the problem, your tendons and ligaments are not growing at the same pace so anyone who knows an extreme lifter increases torn tendons, ligaments, etc.

Lastly, there is a negative effect on your organs, and as such increases cancer rates. It doesn't matter if your monitored by a doctor b/c to get tot he levels these guys need, your taking more HGH than what i twas intended. HGH was intended for indications like kids who are growing at a normal rate, and are prescribed by a pediatric endocrinologist, to assist in getting to normalcy. These athletes exceed these doses and will hurt them in the long run. Looking at some of these guys, tells me some of them on the line, LB, Safeties, RB, TE, and so on are on GH. Not all, but a %. A good example is Cornelieus Bennett. Watching him for from 220 to 245 in one year, all muscle, and looking at his features, I was convinced a guy like that was on something. You don't put on naturally 25-30 lbs of pure muscle. It's not possible. You can put on maybe 5-10 lbs of muscle in one year with extreme workouts.

You guys don't have to agree with me, but I've been around so much juice in my day lifting for over 30 years (again not me as I prided myself on power naturally), that I know when a guy is clean in the gym, and when he is not. You don't put 50 lbs on your bench in six months naturally.

Different ways to look at it. I used to compete at a national level in powerlifting so I was tested with lie detectors, urine, and at the nationals hair. Hair picks up everything. (BTW- I never took anything once in my life)

These guys are not taking designer steroids, they are taking GH, and Deer Antler, etc. GH is especially dangerous as it not only decreases healing time, and improve rehbilitation, but to your point collisions are harder because your body as everyone knows is growing faster than it should. Here's the problem, your tendons and ligaments are not growing at the same pace so anyone who knows an extreme lifter increases torn tendons, ligaments, etc.

Lastly, there is a negative effect on your organs, and as such increases cancer rates. It doesn't matter if your monitored by a doctor b/c to get tot he levels these guys need, your taking more HGH than what i twas intended. HGH was intended for indications like kids who are growing at a normal rate, and are prescribed by a pediatric endocrinologist, to assist in getting to normalcy. These athletes exceed these doses and will hurt them in the long run. Looking at some of these guys, tells me some of them on the line, LB, Safeties, RB, TE, and so on are on GH. Not all, but a %. A good example is Cornelieus Bennett. Watching him for from 220 to 245 in one year, all muscle, and looking at his features, I was convinced a guy like that was on something. You don't put on naturally 25-30 lbs of pure muscle. It's not possible. You can put on maybe 5-10 lbs of muscle in one year with extreme workouts.

You guys don't have to agree with me, but I've been around so much juice in my day lifting for over 30 years (again not me as I prided myself on power naturally), that I know when a guy is clean in the gym, and when he is not. You don't put 50 lbs on your bench in six months naturally.

This makes sense to me. I took a cortizone shot in the shoulder because of a torn labrum, and the doc said, still, no bench press for me. Why? Because I won't feel my body telling me to stop. I'll bet that happens an awful lot with juicers.