Just re-watched the bills pats game on NFL game rewind....

Wazzu Bill

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a play in which EJ locked onto a receiver to draw the coverage toward the receiver. It was a bluff. He smoothly transitioned to put himself in position to throw to the other side. You can't teach that. The play was replayed on TV and the analyst made reference to it. That was the type of subtle eye fake that a veteran makes, not a rookie.

There was another play in which the defense was collapsing on him. He reacted by rolling away from the pressure and completing the pass. There was no jittery feet or frantic responses by him when he was under duress. The level of poise was uncanny for someone who didn't even play much in preseason.

There was another play in which EJ flicked the ball over a safety towards Chandler who had a CB behind him. He slightly over threw the pass. It would have gone for a big gain. What was remarkable was the ease with which he threw the pass and the impeccable touch. Another trait that belies his inexperience is that he is not afraid to throw to a spot before the receiver makes his move. Most young qbs are hesitant to make that anticipatory throw.

Regardless of the score the play of the young qb was encouraging. I came away from that game having more positive feelings than I have had for a long time. You don't have to be too knowledgeable about football to recognize a qb with talent compared to what preceeded him at the position.

I finally finished my first watching. On NFL Replay (tivo, which is nicer than NFL rewind because it has a slow-motion button. But of course every game wont be on Replay).

The D is stout and active. Nobody is afraid to stick his nose in there.

The O is game, but not crisp yet. I watched Philly on Monday night. THAT is crisp. We will get there.

When I re-watch (probably at least 2 more times), I want to pay attention to 4 things:

1) Mario Williams. I only noticed him on about 3 plays. Loafing, when it wasnt to his side.

2) The Safeties. I want my own opinion on whether we really need J.R.S. Byrd.

3) The OTs. It "felt" like they had a good game, but I wanna pay more attention.

4) Offensive Pace. Eagles had it right, and later, Kelly said it wasnt fast enuf. I hope Marrone isnt like luke-warm about pace. Kelly said one of the problems is that players should hurry up and GIVE the ball to the linesman so he can hurry up and spot it for the next play. Details. Come on Marrone. Not that you have to mimic Kelly, but be serious about the discipline of an uptempo Offense.

If the D can stay good, and the O can get crisper, I dont see why we cant win 10 games.

No , go ahead and mimic Kelly, the guy has found the future of the game. If you have a talented, athletic QB and some speed, why not play fast. The last time the Bills played fast, they went to 4 SBs.

All n all we had a good game if only CJ can learn to look for a hole before he goes into 5th gear. Is he a Fing moron or something??

Yes...yes he is. If I remember correctly he had one of the lowest scores ever on that test they take before the draft. I still think he can succeed, but he will not succeed because of his intellect.

There was a play in which EJ locked onto a receiver to draw the coverage toward the receiver. It was a bluff. He smoothly transitioned to put himself in position to throw to the other side. You can't teach that. The play was replayed on TV and the analyst made reference to it. That was the type of subtle eye fake that a veteran makes, not a rookie.

There was another play in which the defense was collapsing on him. He reacted by rolling away from the pressure and completing the pass. There was no jittery feet or frantic responses by him when he was under duress. The level of poise was uncanny for someone who didn't even play much in preseason.

There was another play in which EJ flicked the ball over a safety towards Chandler who had a CB behind him. He slightly over threw the pass. It would have gone for a big gain. What was remarkable was the ease with which he threw the pass and the impeccable touch. Another trait that belies his inexperience is that he is not afraid to throw to a spot before the receiver makes his move. Most young qbs are hesitant to make that anticipatory throw.

Regardless of the score the play of the young qb was encouraging. I came away from that game having more positive feelings than I have had for a long time. You don't have to be too knowledgeable about football to recognize a qb with talent compared to what preceeded him at the position.

I agree with you.

I am very impressed with how E.J. approaches the game. He does not look like a rookie.

He looks very calm and appears to handle pressure greatly. A very business as usual approach to the game.

I look forward to him getting more freedom with the offense.

I watched the replay yesterday as well. EJ needs to work on his timing a bit fairly often he led his WRs too much or under threw them. With him not playing for 3 weeks I can see why this would happen. Overall, he played really well.

Spiller either didn't hit the holes or was early to them. Again not being with the team for a bit could have led to some of this.

All easily correctable.

One thing I did try to key in was the play of Dareus; Ryan Wendell was holding him repeatedly and driving him out of the play.

I agree with you.

I am very impressed with how E.J. approaches the game. He does not look like a rookie.

He looks very calm and appears to handle pressure greatly. A very business as usual approach to the game.

I look forward to him getting more freedom with the offense.

The TD throw to Stevie was an absolute thing of beauty, and a great catch by SJ as well. EJ didn't even take a step - just flicked it to him. It was too fast for the D to defend and right on the money.

First game with a new coach, coaching staff, and rookies and subs in key areas, and they came close to winning. EJ is only going to get better and more mobile, The defensive secondary played better than I thought they would and should get better. I thought we put a lot of pressure on Brady. The offensive line is still a question mark, but should get better barring another rash of injuries. I didn't expect us to win this game, and we played better than I thought we would. I watched it in a pub here in Tennessee and the fans around me, Pats and Titans fans commented that they were surprised at how aggressive Buffalo was on defense.

For anyone who has the rewind ability could you go back and focus on Mario? From what I saw I thought he was a non-factor. Others who watched the game came away with a more favorable view of his game. A number of posters noted that he was regularly double teamed, allowing his line-mates more space to work in. There was a report that he was playing with a foot issue (plantar). I would appreciate a different set of eyes in making an assessment in his performance.

For anyone who has the rewind ability could you go back and focus on Mario? From what I saw I thought he was a non-factor. Others who watched the game came away with a more favorable view of his game. A number of posters noted that he was regularly double teamed, allowing his line-mates more space to work in. There was a report that he was playing with a foot issue (plantar). I would appreciate a different set of eyes in making an assessment in his performance.

Agreed. Since I was a supporter of Mario's gameplay I'd like to know if I was way off...particularly I'm interested in how many times the extra OT was used to double Mario and/or make his arc to the QB longer

Just a few personal thoughts:

First, NFL rewind was a great investment. I saw the game muted at a sports bar and was very distracted while watching so I didn't exactly get the full feel. On rewind, you can watch the entire broadcast without commercials, or a condensed version where they just blow through every play back to back. Pretty awesome...

Second...WOW I know we lost, but I was very surprised at how poorly we actually played. Our defense was BEAST though for how many times we gave it to the pats. But our offense....really? We only had two scores, both with good field position to begin with. The penalties absolutely killed us...every time we got on a roll it was negated by a stupid penalty.

Finally, Spiller: I have to admit, I stopped watching half way through the third quarter. I figured I would save myself the disappointment of seeing EJ go 3 and out every drive. But as for Spiller...I didn't seem to think he played as bad as his stats would indicate. Definitely got stopped up at the line way too many times but that's not always his fault. He had some decent 5-10 yard carries that he fought for every step. Against the panther's tough D line I expect another slow week but I think it will get significantly better after that.

That is all.

We are definitely a work in progress with a lot of young players learning two new schemes on the fly. I think we see continual improvement week to week and start seeing serious improvement after the bye week when they can actually sit down and address things and work on some things better.

Spiller according to Jeremy White who broke down the All-22 film had multiple cut back lanes available but he didn't take them...Whether his mind just wasn't right after what went on with his family or he just had an off day I don't know...