The Read Option, The Future, or a Fad?

26CornerBlitz

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@NBCSports

NFL confirms that read-option QBs can be hit like runners if they are executing a fake. http://tw.nbcsports.com/MS0

pic.twitter.com/2OrNMl37KJ

Which is why Harbaugh is already lobbying the refs with his concerns.

Get used to it Jimmy. DCs are gonna be running your QB every time you run that option whether it's a fake or not and whether the play is successful or not. Runninbg through the QB will be liberating for many a defensive player.

GO BILLS!!!

I'd let Russell Wilson do it his whole career.

The guy does well to not get hit hard on the majority of his carries.

It's part of the future.....no reason not to utilize a multi dimensional talent like Kaepernick/Cam Newton/Rg3/EJ Manuel *** with lb's short circuiting due to their fear of CJ spiller as decoy?

It's foolish to ignore as part of the play book IMO. Play to your strengths. Let's not let the preseason knee grey cloud factor into the future. Play hard. If you get hurt, it happens. Ask Byrd

Edited by Ryan L Billz

No different then in the pocket. Actually worse in the pocket since those hits come when you aren't watching.

except those hits are illegal, and hits in general happen on a much lower percentage of plays in the pocket

are we really arguing that dropping back to pass and running the ball are equally risky for a qb?

except those hits are illegal, and hits in general happen on a much lower percentage of plays in the pocket

are we really arguing that dropping back to pass and running the ball are equally risky for a qb?

Read option running is different then QB scrambles. Since no one has gotten hurt yet you can't sit and say it is anymore risky then anything else. If the QB is going to get hit then he hands the ball off.

Edited by Meatloaf Sandwich

Read option running is different then QB scrambles. Since no one has gotten hurt yet you can't sit and say it is anymore risky then anything else. If the QB is going to get hit then he hands the ball off.

So how many times did rg3 get tackled in 120 rushes? How many times after the pitch?

Once teams start keying in on the QB every time, pounding him no matter what, it will go away.

I agree....if they tell the unblocked DE to just gun it for the QB and ignore the RB then teams will have to change.

But I do think the play would still be called as an element of surprise. If teams use this as their bread and butter defenses will key in on it and shut it down.

The idea of a mobile QB is nothing new. If the QB is a serious threat to run the defense has to game plan to help contain him.

So how many times did rg3 get tackled in 120 rushes? How many times after the pitch?

the issues isnt as much getting tackled---its getting hit. RG3 and others need to be smart in running and limit the impact shots they take.

I'd let Russell Wilson do it his whole career.

The guy does well to not get hit hard on the majority of his carries.

No issue in letting them use their mobility.

Russell doesnt have the size that Cam, RG3, or Kaepernick have. He seriously needs to protect himself on getting torpedoed by defnses on running plays.

Edited by djp14150

I just don't think it's substainable long term, for a "franchise" QB. Is it really worth knocking years off a guy, who could play well past 35, and would/could bring continued success to the franchise as a whole? These are questions facing teams, especially with the amount of money invested in QB's. If QB's become injured more often, will that devalue the position, like what's happened with RB's? It's certainly a risk.

With all due respect, it isn't the same thing. If you have a revolving door at tackle, you can still keep a TE or RB in to help him block. And when the D gets through, they still have limitations on where / how they can hit the QB. (Far more limitations than on hitting a RB)

And, if you have a revolving door at tackle, you are pretty much telegraphing that any read option plays will almost exclusively necessarily go away from that revolving door. Much like they would with a designed rollout to buy some extra time from that guy's side.

As somebody else said earlier, the guys that run a read option are younger guys. As they age, they will necessarily go away from it. It'll be interesting to see how the Skins change the way they use RG3 this year, if at all. I'd expect they'll still use the read option alot, but not nearly as much as last year.

I keep reading that teams are planning on hitting CK every time he runs the read option whenever possible. Knowing the QB is going to get crushed every time will likely limit the read option to a handful of guys built like a Cam Newton or Russell Wilson sooner than later. (And it's not like all 32 teams will be running read option this year.) RBs have short careers because of the pounding they take; I don't see teams continuing to have their star QBs taking that kind of punishment once Ds get used to defending it.

lets just see. They can talk about stoping anything they want. On Sundays we'll see. Until guys actually get hurt running the option, I find it a mute point to say getting hurt is the reason not to run it. How is standing in the pocket, and being able to be stoic while Adrian Wilson, or London Fletcher effectivly end you're carrer a better option than a designed run, where you're prepared to defend you're self?

I think some folks just don't want to see it.

Edited by JaxBills

His leg has no possibility of being broken in the pocket?

Obviously not the same situation...You need to be in the pocket to play QB, you don't need to run the read option to play QB

Speaking of was the read option even a factor in any of the week 1 games? I don't believe it was

Edited by Max997