Chris Spielman - the 90s Bills

aussiew

Just cried my way through a story on Chris and how he gave up his career with the Bills to support his wife, Stefanie, through her fight with cancer. It was on NFL network. If any of you get a chance to watch it - keep your Kleenex handy.

Just cried my way through a story on Chris and how he gave up his career with the Bills to support his wife, Stefanie, through her fight with cancer. It was on NFL network. If any of you get a chance to watch it - keep your Kleenex handy.

I loved the signing and freaked at the time we got him. He is a hero in my book for doing what he did. Great man

Chris Spielman is a Man...capital "M". Some of my best memories as a Bills fan were when he and Damien Covington were in the middle of our 3-4. Like you guys, I'm proud that he played part of his career in our red, white and blue. It's a cliche, but they really did break the mold with that dude.

Chris Spielman is a Man...capital "M". Some of my best memories as a Bills fan were when he and Damien Covington were in the middle of our 3-4. Like you guys, I'm proud that he played part of his career in our red, white and blue. It's a cliche, but they really did break the mold with that dude.

And yet Chris was also an archetype, a throwback. The classic middle linebacker.

I guess when you're born in Canton, Ohio like Spielman it's not a surprise that you evoke images of Chuck Bednarik, Joe Schmidt, and Ray Nitschke.

I'm only in my mid-twenties, and I remember when I was young and just starting to get real into the Bills, Spielman was my favorite and the first jersey I can remember having. NO ONE played the game harder than that guy. Quintessential pro. Quintessential human being. He's doing a lot of good in honor of his late wife.

And yet Chris was also an archetype, a throwback. The classic middle linebacker.

I guess when you're born in Canton, Ohio like Spielman it's not a surprise that you evoke images of Chuck Bednarik, Joe Schmidt, and Ray Nitschke.

Well said

I used to be a huge Brett Favre fan....he was always my favorite non-Bills player. Interesting to contrast the way he's handled his wife's cancer with how Spielman handled his. Spielman focuses on doing everything he can for her and to raise money for the cause, while Brett is out sending penis pics to women half his age. Still can't believe he did that...what a dbag.

I've brought this up before but literally the day after Stefanie passed away he was on the air in his normal spot on Cbus sports radio taking calls. Said she would have told him to go to work. I listened to the whole thing. Caller after caller of cancer survivors, people with family members battling it, people who simply met them at the store, etc. It was a great tribute and was just a small sampling of how many lives have been touched through their work.

Maddie sounds like an outstanding young woman with a loving family around her. I watched the NFL program the other day and it brought tears to my eyes at their strength as a family to deal with cancer. I lost my mom at 25 and dad at 29 to cancer and it is tough.

I salute the Spielman family in their continuation in the fight against this horrible disease. I adore Chris for putting family first and for Maddie, and the other children, for having the support system to get them and her to this level to continue the fight.