Changed Expectations for this season?

Reed83HOF

If anyone is looking to come back down to earth just read Sullivan, Graham, or Wawrows Twitter timelines. They do their best to paint the same old Bills.

Maybe 3 of the biggest know-nothings of Western NY.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Think Indy is possibly a team that has a sophomore slump? Many thought they were playing above what they were supposed to last year..... They gutted that roster when manning left so its not shocking their depth isnt great. With the emotional charge of their coach being sick over, perhaps they regress or flatten out a little? Especially out of the gate they might lack some of that intensity.

And this is why after one post of calling them a playoff team, I've reverted to characterizing them as a wildcard team instead.

They won an inordinate number of close games last year so they could possibly backslide.

It's possible that the Bills will be competing with the Colts for a wild card berth.

I am optimistic mainly due to the coaching changes. I would be happy with 6 wins PLUS some competitive games against good teams...VS the horror show--record setting poor performances we pulled off last year. We were record settingly bad and stupid as well last year(thanks chan).

And this is why after one post of calling them a playoff team, I've reverted to characterizing them as a wildcard team instead.

They won an inordinate number of close games last year so they could possibly backslide.

It's possible that the Bills will be competing with the Colts for a wild card berth.

without Luck they were a 5-11 team last year. Lots of those squeakemout wins they had were due to Mr Luck. Imagine what Mr Luck will do with a really great roster if Indy ever supplies him with one.

After 1 preseason game?

What's funny is that if it had been more of the same, then the roles would have been reversed.

LOL

Manuel needed that TD drive against the Colts' 2nd and 3rds, he needs encouragement. It's going to be a long season for him but IMO there's no doubt he'll be starting now which has to happen for next season.

Some mention the speed of the WRs but it didn't show on O. STs were solid and Goodwin should be a standout STs player. Having said that, Graham performed better on KRs than Goodwin did in college.

Obviously the starting D against both the Colts' O starters and backups sucked pretty bad. They can't continue to allow 400+ ypg obviously. We can talk about who made plays all we want, but yards are yards.

It is only one preseason game and anytime you have non-starters matched up against starters, en masse or partially, there's always much uncertainty.

It's also possible that they'll be competing w/ Jax or KC for the first overall draft pick.

What's the point in even saying something like that?

without Luck they were a 5-11 team last year. Lots of those squeakemout wins they had were due to Mr Luck. Imagine what Mr Luck will do with a really great roster if Indy ever supplies him with one.

Very true.

And Luck was pretty brilliant in the short time we saw him today.

That kid is the real deal.

From the BN article this morning:

Manuel’s last possession began on the 8-yard line with 1:50 to go. Marrone said he thought about running out the clock, but decided to use the opportunity to learn more about his quarterback.

Indianapolis’ defense was comprised mostly of third-stringers and reserves who might not make the final roster. Even so, they were NFL players.

I don't think he's wrong. I'm happy the kid didn't look out of place, but we've seen lots of players look great against backups. I'm waiting until he starts winning some meaningful games before I get my hopes up.

Edited by Captain Caveman

From the BN article this morning:

[/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color]

I don't think he's wrong. I'm happy the kid didn't look out of place, but we've seen lots of players look great against backups. I'm waiting until he starts winning some meaningful games before I get my hopes up.

You still can't argue that his playing calling and throws were accurate and correct, regardless of who's on the other side of the ball.

I know we don't start new threads during a game (it is preseason); but this is worth having a thread and some discussion on so it doesn't get buried in the game thread...

My expectations were not for what I saw today and I think it is very important to see how things progress through out the preseason.

Alonso is going to be a player in this league, Goodwin is ridiculously fast, EJ shook off a slow/shaky start - led us ona masterful 2 minute drill for the score.

As of today Kolb is on the fringe of making the roster; he might be competing with Brad Smith for a spot. How good was Tuel?

When was the last time a Bills team looked like and had this type of heart? I still expect ups and downs this season. I was thinking about 5 wins for this team, today pushes me back to the 8-8; 9-7 team that gets stronger as the year goes on instead of falling apart....

so people actually think we cut the only veteran QB on the roster. Wouldn't Kolb be helpful in the film room at the very least making sure the two rookies are seeing what they need to see on film. He can help them prepare.

and we raise expectation based on a preseason game. what is up with that?

What we learned yesterday is what we hoped we would learn, it looks like this team will play fast, will be fundamentally sound, well coached and will play to players strengths. Beyond that, I'd rather expect a 4-12 season and get a better one than believe they can make he playoffs and fall flat on their faces.

Keep it under control for now, let the kids develop without the weight of expectations.