Pats/Eagles Report(Die Eagles, Die!)

Let me begin by saying I take no small amount of joy in describing the various ways in which the Eagles suck. For many reasons, this is Great Justice. Yes, that means I will have to praise the Pats in some cases. However, if you've read my other 2 similar posts, you know that I basically tell it like it is.

To be as clear as I can be: this game basically tells us nothing about the Pats, other than their Defense is still suspect.

Pats ball on their 20

Fancy picture time! (Ha...you thought you were going to get 1st and 10, didn't you? Wrong. Why tell you when I can show you?)

The Pats line up w/ 2 Wr 2 TE and 1 RB, and the slaughter begins. Right after the snap of the ball, they are already winning.

It's then this:

Pats_Eagles_Run1.jpg

This:

Pats_Eagles_Run2.jpg

This:

Pats_Eagles_Run3.jpg

And this:

Pats_Eagles_Run4.jpg

(Shuddder) Whoa...now that was a whipping. For some reason, the Eagles seemed to have their nickel guys in, or, they are just too small to deal with this running formation. In all cases, the Bills cannot allow themselves to get thrown around like this. Yes, the formation and personnel helped, but the Eagles had no fight in them whatsoever(to my delight!)

But, you figure, "So they got a big run. Tom Brady will have to throw it for them to score"

Wrong. 6 run plays in a row, last one = TD. All of it looks pretty much the same as above, except on one short yardage play. The Pats took the Eagles...pride? (I could say something else, but...) on their home field, immediately. Brady handed it off 6 times. U G Lee. Clearly the Belechick is making a statement with this. They are going to ignore their lack of WR ability and run the ball. They did it 6 times in a row, so that you know that.

But let's see about that Pats defense...(foreshadowing...the OTHER reason they are going to run the ball).

Eagles ball on their 23

1st and 10. Pats in 4-3 defense. Eagles run. Eagles Rb hits Pats LB Jarrod Mayo...and drives him backwards 3 yards. :lol: Weak as hell. A nudge from a lineman, but still, 5 yards that should have been 2.

2nd and 5. Mayo makes up for it and stuffs the RB this time. No gain.

3rd and 5. No Pats pass rush ;). Vick has all day to throw it, and after 4 seconds, he does, down the middle for 22 yards. Eagles Wr had 2 steps on his man. Man defense btw

1st and 10. Nifty halfback sweep sorta thing with Vick faking the keeper. Yes, this is a college-looking play. Good for 4.5 yards. Pats looked confused and their left side got road graded backwards 4 yards. Blown completely off the ball.

2nd and 6 TD! WOW! Sorta play action but not very convincing. Vick stands in the pocket for, I timed it, 4.3 seconds but could have stood there for as long as he wanted. Nobody near him and they rushed 5 guys. The RB went from taking the play action fake to blocking a LB. Another LB joined the rush after delaying, so now that's 6 guys rushing Vick, against 7 guys blocking. And still...Vick is just standing there.

Meanwhile, Aqib Talib is in single coverage against DeSean Jackson(who is a very nice guy btw). Jackson smokes him, period. They could run that play 100 times, and Talib would be burned 100 times. He's not fast enough to cover above average NFL WR speed. He is completely F'ed if he tries to cover TJ or Goodwin. 4.35 is not 4.1. Period.

What's worse? The Pats had 5 guys to cover 3, so Talib should have had help, but Jackson's speed burned the safety as well.

However bad the Eagles run D just was? It's exactly as bad as the Pats pass D.

Pats ball on their 20

1st and 10. Brady pressured, should have been sacked, and throws it away. Or should I say, Tom Brady gets away with intentional grounding? :lol: There was a RB who was 7, not 5 yards away. :rolleyes: So bad? Pats announcer actually says he was sacked. :lol:

2nd and 10. Brady quick throw to Amendola(new WR) for 6 yards on a comeback rout.

Pause: These Pats announcers are buffoons. Now they are trashing Wes Welker, and trying, coyly, to say that Amendola is better... :rolleyes: The other guy clearly misses Wes.

3rd and 4. Really nice catch and throw from Brady to UDFA Kenbrell Thompkins(we may be quite displeased that they have this guy)

1st and 10. Ridlely run 5 yards. Nice blocking, but the Eagle D is doing better with the run. Better as in not completely horrible, and some guys were actually around the ball.

2nd and 5. 4 yard pass from Brady to Thompkins. This Thompkins kid looks to be a possession type guy. Yeah, the last thing we want.

3rd and 1. Ridley for 9. Eagles D up to their old tricks. Man, they are really gonna suck this year. :thumbsup:

1st and 10. Big play to Aaron Dobson. 20 yards. Perfect throw. Dobson turned around and the ball hit him in the chest. Not much you can do about that.

1st and 10. Ok, so the Eagles pass rush is horrible too. 7 yard pass play in a crossing pattern. Brady could have stood there all day, because the Eagle that did get into the Pats backfield ran right by him. If that's Tannehill, he runs away. Brady just scoffed at him.

2nd and 3. Quick throw to Thompkins works because the CB was playing off by 8 yards, and they only needed 3. They got 6.

1st and 10. TD Bradynice throw to the corner of the EZ. Nice catch and 2 feet in bounds by Ben Vereen(announcer said that :lol:). No, not this guy:

ben-vereen2.jpeg

Shane Vereen is a Rb. Announcers say he is looking to try and be their 3rd down back. Can't pick up blitz, tho.

Hmm...Pats special teams not looking so hot....

Eagles ball on their 27

1st and 10 Vick doest this running back play action collegely thing again with the RB, but this time he keeps it, rolls out to his right, and hits

Riley Cooper ....Dun Dun DAHHHH! :o

for 19 yards. Minor boos. Pats annoucners are too busy talking over the play, and telling us what we already know Brady = good, :rolleyes: and have completely missed Cooper's catch.

1st and 10. Run play stuffed for loss. Missed blocking assignment, Pats D had nothing to do with that. The guy just whiffed.

2nd and 11. Incomplete. WR open, Vick with a bad throw.

3rd and 11. Vick rolls and throws, but only for 6. Vick just killed that drive by being lazy. He could have driven them down for a TD. I don't they they laid a finger on VIck all day. No reason not to make the throw on 2nd down. It's not like there was anyone rushing to stop him. Punt.

That's basically it for the starters...unless you really think Nick Foles has a real chance of beating out Vick. Please.

Generally, both Ds were awful. Yeah, yeah, "text book Tom Brady" but, the Eagles have real problems on defense. That's why they keep talking about Brady. Of all the announcers I've heard, these guys are the biggest reality deniers so far.

Now, they are asking "how bad is the Eagles pass defense?" Now they getting it.

Like I said above this game tells us little about the Pats O, largely because the Eagles D looks so bad. D line is bad, no pass rush, LBs can't tackle/taking the wrong angles, DBs can't cover very well, things look disorganized back there. You let Brady stand around and some WR is going to get open. This game doesn't eve tell us if the WRs are any good.

So, Tom Brady going against that? Yeah, I expect a TD too.

But, just as certainly as the Eagles D sucks? So does the Pats. Perhaps some are injured? I don't know, but if not, this D is a weakness, and, when you see them run the ball like that? 6 times in a row? They know it sucks. And, the Pats have the same problem as the Jets: they have no depth on defense. Injuries will hurt them.

Bottom line:

The Patriots could very well be trying to turn themselves into the Giants from the 80s.

EDIT: :On offense. On defense? No friggin way.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

Bottom line:

That was the first preseason game for both teams

And the Bills have a lot of depth at defense? NE hss a solid OL what do we have right now?

The Bills also are not able to accept to many injuries either.

Jesus. Sorry to have damanged your delicate sensibilities when it comes to the Pats, but, the same Mike Vick who we crushed 2 years ago, just made the Pats D look stupid, and was only stopped by his own undisciplined play.

No amount of tears from either of you is going to make Aqib Talib faster, so you should stop crying right now.

Besides, that has nothing to do with the Bills, and everything to do with the Pats. You don't like it? Take it up with them, not me.

And, why are you 2 butthurt about me talking about the Pats and Eagles: objectively?

And, what does me talking the Pats and Eagles have to do with the Bills?

Literally every other thread on this board is for talking about the Bills. You are welcome to go there. This thread is about the Pats, Eagles, and anything we might learn from what the Eagles did, that we can use against the Pats.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

I know it's a lot of work for you to put things like this together, OC, but know that I learn more about football from "X and O" breakdowns like this than I'll EVER do by listening to the cement heads on the networks. Thanks. Sincerely.

As for the Pats* defense, I can only pray that the Bills' passing game clicks early and often. A few long (20+ yard) completions might cause some headaches for Satan. Especially with the speed in this WR corps. I'm reminded of an awful statement made by the IRA after a failed bombing attempt in the 1980s:

"We only need to be lucky once".

Say it..Let's say it. They...might...be...beatable...this...year...

Yeah, I edited. I meant on offense. Certainly not on Defense. The Pats getting an 80s Giant Defense requires at least 3 losing season drafts at this point.

I'm hoping the Pats are turning themselves into the Giants of the 70's.

How did NE's D look blitzing? Could they pressure the middle?

That's the thing. I couldn't tell when they were blitzing. Vick couldn't either. :lol:

EDIT: Ron Mexico.

Just had to add that.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

Jesus. Sorry to have damanged your delicate sensibilities when it comes to the Pats, but, the same Mike Vick who we crushed 2 years ago, just made the Pats D look stupid, and was only stopped by his own undisciplined play.

No amount of tears from either of you is going to make Aqib Talib faster, so you should stop crying right now.

Besides, that has nothing to do with the Bills, and everything to do with the Pats. You don't like it? Take it up with them, not me.

And, why are you 2 butthurt about me talking about the Pats and Eagles: objectively?

And, what does me talking the Pats and Eagles have to do with the Bills?

Literally every other thread on this board is for talking about the Bills. You are welcome to go there. This thread is about the Pats, Eagles, and anything we might learn from what the Eagles did, that we can use against the Pats.

You put way too much stock into a preseason game

Edited by Max997

bad Phili line? Bad QB & OCiB? Or good NE blitz?

Ok fine, don't laugh at my joke.

Pats blitzed 3 times, I think. Let me see....yep 3. All three times it was contained to the point that unless you know what you're looking for? You wouldn't know it was a blitz. The Eagles used this play action thingy, it's not like a traditional ball fake. Rather, Ron Mexico would hold the ball out next to the RB, and just stand there for a sec. Then, he'd pull it away to throw, or roll out, and the RB would take off, and block or draw somebody away.

The blitzer was always eaten up by the RB, or whatever O lineman had been left without somebody to block.

Just imagine: a large ring of big dudes creating an empty 10 yard in diameter pocket, and Vick just standing in the middle of it. Never mind, it's Fancy Picture Time! Let's look at the Vick TD.

First the weird play action-->RB blocks the LB thing:

Pats_Cant_Rush1.jpg

Then, see? It's like Stonehenge :lol: :

Pats_Cant_Rush2.jpg

There's you Pats pass rush. The white uni guy you see at the top of the screen? That is DeSean Jackson about 2 steps for beating Aqib Talib like a rented mule.

So, there it is. They actually did have 1 blitzer on this. That is #3. #6 just sorta stood here. Maybe he is the Vick "spy"? In any event, he eventually decided to rush Vick as well.

You put way too much stock into a preseason game

Is Aqib Talib going to magically get faster for the regular season?

Look at my last. Are the Pats going to get stronger and faster on the pass rush for the regular season? Does that mean they won't lose a 6 vs. 6 rush? That's man on man, and no different than what they do in 1v1s in training camp, every day. Do you think this gets better, if they rushed 7 and went 7 vs. 7? How about 8?

The ONLY thing I put stock in: my own 2 eyes, and my considerable knowledge of the fundamentals in sports.

I watched the game too, true that the Pats* looked slow and not very well co-oreniated in the pass game. I did think during the game though that they are going to run more this year. And they did that fairly well against a Philly team whose D is suspect. I tend to think they will get it more together by the opener.

I watched the game too, true that the Pats* looked slow and not very well co-oreniated in the pass game. I did think during the game though that they are going to run more this year.

Absolutely Bowery.

They're missing 4 of their top 5 receivers from last season and they'll likely play the opener without their two athletic tight ends from last year.

On the other hand, their O-line is young and improving and they have 3 good, young running backs.

Also they have no one to stretch the field on the entire roster.

Belichick is going to try to win games the way Parcells used to.

The Bills run D is going to have a very stern test in week one and I hope Branch, Carrington, Dareus and company are up to the task.

edit: Tomorrow's game against the Colts will be a good test for the run D too.

The new Colts OC is Andrew Luck's former OC from Stanford and they've made no secret of the fact that they want to pound the rock much more than they did last year. Also the Colts plan on using the double tight end formation quite a bit and using Vic Ballard as their battering ram.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

Well done, OC! I really enjoyed these breakdowns. I got Game Rewind this year, so perhaps I'll take a stab at some breakdowns, although this is certainly one hard act to follow.

Anyway, just wanted to chime in re: the weird play action thingy. That is play action meant to simulate the QB read option. Think of it like the Dolphins Wildcat with no motion, and the QB is the QB. The Bills did it a few times in practice.

Or another way to put it is that it's almost double play action. The fake handoff, and Vick faking his own run.

I didn't watch the Eagles game, but it could also just be that you're describing play action meant to appear as a draw.

I've noticed a lot of fake draws out of the spread in college, so that could be emphasized in Chip Kelly's offense.

My apologies if to what you're referring was obviously none of the above; Like I said, I didn't watch, so I could be way off here.

Well done, OC! I really enjoyed these breakdowns. I got Game Rewind this year, so perhaps I'll take a stab at some breakdowns, although this is certainly one hard act to follow.

Anyway, just wanted to chime in re: the weird play action thingy. That is play action meant to simulate the QB read option. Think of it like the Dolphins Wildcat with no motion, and the QB is the QB. The Bills did it a few times in practice.

Or another way to put it is that it's almost double play action. The fake handoff, and Vick faking his own run.

I didn't watch the Eagles game, but it could also just be that you're describing play action meant to appear as a draw.

I've noticed a lot of fake draws out of the spread in college, so that could be emphasized in Chip Kelly's offense.

My apologies if to what you're referring was obviously none of the above; Like I said, I didn't watch, so I could be way off here.

Nah. I'd say it's one of the things you mentioned.

I just don't know how it fools anybody. If the ball stays in one place, then as a D guy, I stay in one place.

What fools is the guys moving, and you not knowing who has the ball. If they are both standing, and standing next to each other? Then I know one of them has the ball, and I am standing. When they move the fake is over, and I can see who has the ball.

I mean WTF is this? The only thing I can think of is: The old Hobart Lacrosse trick. Everybody stands in a circle cradling, then they all turn, run towards the goal, and shoot? That was hilarious to watch, and it worked a lot more than you would think.

But, even with that, the sticks are moving, which creates the trouble, because now you don't know which stick has the ball, and if you just run in and blast one of the guys, unless you guess right, you get nothing but a penalty.

I'm gonna have to see more of this...

Let me begin by saying I take no small amount of joy in describing the various ways in which the Eagles suck. For many reasons, this is Great Justice. Yes, that means I will have to praise the Pats in some cases. However, if you've read my other 2 similar posts, you know that I basically tell it like it is.

To be as clear as I can be: this game basically tells us nothing about the Pats, other than their Defense is still suspect.

Pats ball on their 20

Fancy picture time! (Ha...you thought you were going to get 1st and 10, didn't you? Wrong. Why tell you when I can show you?)

The Pats line up w/ 2 Wr 2 TE and 1 RB, and the slaughter begins. Right after the snap of the ball, they are already winning.

It's then this:

Pats_Eagles_Run1.jpg

This:

Pats_Eagles_Run2.jpg

This:

Pats_Eagles_Run3.jpg

And this:

Pats_Eagles_Run4.jpg

(Shuddder) Whoa...now that was a whipping. For some reason, the Eagles seemed to have their nickel guys in, or, they are just too small to deal with this running formation. In all cases, the Bills cannot allow themselves to get thrown around like this. Yes, the formation and personnel helped, but the Eagles had no fight in them whatsoever(to my delight!)

But, you figure, "So they got a big run. Tom Brady will have to throw it for them to score"

Wrong. 6 run plays in a row, last one = TD. All of it looks pretty much the same as above, except on one short yardage play. The Pats took the Eagles...pride? (I could say something else, but...) on their home field, immediately. Brady handed it off 6 times. U G Lee. Clearly the Belechick is making a statement with this. They are going to ignore their lack of WR ability and run the ball. They did it 6 times in a row, so that you know that.

But let's see about that Pats defense...(foreshadowing...the OTHER reason they are going to run the ball).

Eagles ball on their 23

1st and 10. Pats in 4-3 defense. Eagles run. Eagles Rb hits Pats LB Jarrod Mayo...and drives him backwards 3 yards. Weak as hell. A nudge from a lineman, but still, 5 yards that should have been 2.

2nd and 5. Mayo makes up for it and stuffs the RB this time. No gain.

3rd and 5. No Pats pass rush . Vick has all day to throw it, and after 4 seconds, he does, down the middle for 22 yards. Eagles Wr had 2 steps on his man. Man defense btw

1st and 10. Nifty halfback sweep sorta thing with Vick faking the keeper. Yes, this is a college-looking play. Good for 4.5 yards. Pats looked confused and their left side got road graded backwards 4 yards. Blown completely off the ball.

2nd and 6 TD! WOW! Sorta play action but not very convincing. Vick stands in the pocket for, I timed it, 4.3 seconds but could have stood there for as long as he wanted. Nobody near him and they rushed 5 guys. The RB went from taking the play action fake to blocking a LB. Another LB joined the rush after delaying, so now that's 6 guys rushing Vick, against 7 guys blocking. And still...Vick is just standing there.

Meanwhile, Aqib Talib is in single coverage against DeSean Jackson(who is a very nice guy btw). Jackson smokes him, period. They could run that play 100 times, and Talib would be burned 100 times. He's not fast enough to cover above average NFL WR speed. He is completely F'ed if he tries to cover TJ or Goodwin. 4.35 is not 4.1. Period.

What's worse? The Pats had 5 guys to cover 3, so Talib should have had help, but Jackson's speed burned the safety as well.

However bad the Eagles run D just was? It's exactly as bad as the Pats pass D.

Pats ball on their 20

1st and 10. Brady pressured, should have been sacked, and throws it away. Or should I say, Tom Brady gets away with intentional grounding? There was a RB who was 7, not 5 yards away. So bad? Pats announcer actually says he was sacked.

2nd and 10. Brady quick throw to Amendola(new WR) for 6 yards on a comeback rout.

Pause: These Pats announcers are buffoons. Now they are trashing Wes Welker, and trying, coyly, to say that Amendola is better... The other guy clearly misses Wes.

3rd and 4. Really nice catch and throw from Brady to UDFA Kenbrell Thompkins(we may be quite displeased that they have this guy)

1st and 10. Ridlely run 5 yards. Nice blocking, but the Eagle D is doing better with the run. Better as in not completely horrible, and some guys were actually around the ball.

2nd and 5. 4 yard pass from Brady to Thompkins. This Thompkins kid looks to be a possession type guy. Yeah, the last thing we want.

3rd and 1. Ridley for 9. Eagles D up to their old tricks. Man, they are really gonna suck this year.

1st and 10. Big play to Aaron Dobson. 20 yards. Perfect throw. Dobson turned around and the ball hit him in the chest. Not much you can do about that.

1st and 10. Ok, so the Eagles pass rush is horrible too. 7 yard pass play in a crossing pattern. Brady could have stood there all day, because the Eagle that did get into the Pats backfield ran right by him. If that's Tannehill, he runs away. Brady just scoffed at him.

2nd and 3. Quick throw to Thompkins works because the CB was playing off by 8 yards, and they only needed 3. They got 6.

1st and 10. TD Bradynice throw to the corner of the EZ. Nice catch and 2 feet in bounds by Ben Vereen(announcer said that ). No, not this guy:

ben-vereen2.jpeg

Shane Vereen is a Rb. Announcers say he is looking to try and be their 3rd down back. Can't pick up blitz, tho.

Hmm...Pats special teams not looking so hot....

Eagles ball on their 27

1st and 10 Vick doest this running back play action collegely thing again with the RB, but this time he keeps it, rolls out to his right, and hits

Riley Cooper ....Dun Dun DAHHHH!

for 19 yards. Minor boos. Pats annoucners are too busy talking over the play, and telling us what we already know Brady = good, and have completely missed Cooper's catch.

1st and 10. Run play stuffed for loss. Missed blocking assignment, Pats D had nothing to do with that. The guy just whiffed.

2nd and 11. Incomplete. WR open, Vick with a bad throw.

3rd and 11. Vick rolls and throws, but only for 6. Vick just killed that drive by being lazy. He could have driven them down for a TD. I don't they they laid a finger on VIck all day. No reason not to make the throw on 2nd down. It's not like there was anyone rushing to stop him. Punt.

That's basically it for the starters...unless you really think Nick Foles has a real chance of beating out Vick. Please.

Generally, both Ds were awful. Yeah, yeah, "text book Tom Brady" but, the Eagles have real problems on defense. That's why they keep talking about Brady. Of all the announcers I've heard, these guys are the biggest reality deniers so far.

Now, they are asking "how bad is the Eagles pass defense?" Now they getting it.

Like I said above this game tells us little about the Pats O, largely because the Eagles D looks so bad. D line is bad, no pass rush, LBs can't tackle/taking the wrong angles, DBs can't cover very well, things look disorganized back there. You let Brady stand around and some WR is going to get open. This game doesn't eve tell us if the WRs are any good.

So, Tom Brady going against that? Yeah, I expect a TD too.

But, just as certainly as the Eagles D sucks? So does the Pats. Perhaps some are injured? I don't know, but if not, this D is a weakness, and, when you see them run the ball like that? 6 times in a row? They know it sucks. And, the Pats have the same problem as the Jets: they have no depth on defense. Injuries will hurt them.

Bottom line:

The Patriots could very well be trying to turn themselves into the Giants from the 80s.

EDIT: :On offense. On defense? No friggin way.

WOW!? :o:huh: what's with all the Eagles hate?