Shark Week 2013 Starts Tomorrow

Mark Vader

I hate saying it and it sounds so funny, but Shark Week is not as good as it used to be. Why? Not enough sharks! Too much scientific crap. I miss the days of ol' when they'd show a few hours of sharks just tearing shhhh it up.

I hate saying it and it sounds so funny, but Shark Week is not as good as it used to be. Why? Not enough sharks! Too much scientific crap. I miss the days of ol' when they'd show a few hours of sharks just tearing shhhh it up.

I wish there was more of a diversity on the sharks they do specials on.

Great White Sharks are amazing, but there are other sharks as well.

I wish there was more of a diversity on the sharks they do specials on.

Great White Sharks are amazing, but there are other sharks as well.

well, they have a show in the sharks that killed all the men in the USS Indianapolis and another show on the Bull Shark as well as the Tiger Shark.

Maco's are some of my favorites.

Saw that as well. Very interesting. Not sure how much was 'theatrical' either.

yeah. Exactly. Could be all of it as far as I know. The footage of the boat wreck, and the very end where the whale was bumped and the cage flipped.

Wish we knew. But on Shark After Dark, that diver was in and he said "No Megaladon" so I'm thinking a lot of it was faked.

yeah. Exactly. Could be all of it as far as I know. The footage of the boat wreck, and the very end where the whale was bumped and the cage flipped.

Wish we knew. But on Shark After Dark, that diver was in and he said "No Megaladon" so I'm thinking a lot of it was faked.

Agreed. The show itself pitted him (the diver) as the skeptic and the other guy as 'convinced' that Megalodon was real. The diver 'became' more and more open to the possibility during the original show. Seemed a bit contrived. I saw the 'after show' as well and you could definitely tell a difference in the diver's attitude. He basically said "no way" to the theory of a shark that big being alive. I suspect he is a respected shark 'hunter' and expert. He took the 'cash' to do the trumped up version.... but reversed course to save his own integrity on the aftershow. Just my guess.

I wish they had just kept it to the facts straight up with no added drama. How 'bout that WWII photo with the dorsal and tail fins? That's nuts....if it's real.

Yes. That WW2 photo was sick. But something tells me it's fake. I've never seen a dorsal fin and a tail fin perfectly out of the water like that.

And the fin in the pic of the shark eating the whale looked like it was the exact same fin that was in the WW2 pic. Like it looked like they cut and pasted the exact same pic.

Yes. That WW2 photo was sick. But something tells me it's fake. I've never seen a dorsal fin and a tail fin perfectly out of the water like that.

And the fin in the pic of the shark eating the whale looked like it was the exact same fin that was in the WW2 pic. Like it looked like they cut and pasted the exact same pic.

What seemed strange to me was that the initial attack of the boat in the beginning happened in April of this year, and in less than 4 months they were able to make a 2 hour documentary about it? That was a red flag.

That first photo from South Africa showing the dorsal fin looked fake to me. The WWII pic was amazing, but that could be fake too.

What about the other footage? The whale washed up in Hawaii. The undersea camera at the bottom of the ocean. The man getting rescued by helicopter in Brazil. Were they all fake?

The ending was the kicker. The sonar shows all the sharks disappearing, and they don't keep watching the sonar? That 40 foot whale model just disappears?

I was really looking forward to this "documentary", because I thought it was going to be about the history of Megaladon, and the scientists who are searching for it. There was some of that. The legends of the giant shark from other countries. The fossilized teeth. The findings of various sea creatures in the very deeps of the oceans, some thought to be extinct. The effects of recent earthquakes in the ocean that are changing the landscapes of the ocean floor. That was all good.

But to have it all turn out like a "Blair Witch" style mockumentary is not what I expected from Discovery. Yes, it was entertaining, but sad that this was the lead off to Shark Week.

I will say that the final shot of the cage was funny.

Yes Mark. The pics and the way they did it were definitely blah...

But, I would really love to know if those video photos are real from Chili and Brazil as well as the whale washed up on the shore. Guess we will never know. Well, unless someone finds the thing.

I definitely think with the changing of the earth COULD show there is a possibility. But much like that expert last night, there's just no way a living creature that big could go un noticed. But who knows.

I'm with ya on the Killer Whales. I love Sharks. Especially Great Whites. But they are chum for my favorite living creature on the planet. The shark is just instinctual. Orcas are methodical pack hunters. So very smart.