Anyone listening to Sal & Bulldog?

Does anyone else think Bulldog sounds more relaxed on the air with Sal C. than he does with Mike Schopp? I mean when I listen to him and Schopp he stammers and gropes to make his points. All this week the guy just lets opinions roll out freely.

I'm starting to wonder if Schopp intimidates him.

PTR

Mike being the smartest man in the world and is never wrong makes it hard for BD not to say something that might cause an argument so he fumbles over his words to avoid any disagreements on air.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That said, I prefer Bulldog to Shopp 100 to 1. I have no idea why Shopp has the job.

me either, it's clear he doesn't like sports except baseball, who else would take the first week of camp off.

Mike should go to 107.7 where I really think he'd he would enjoy politics, maybe they should create an arts and entertainment channel for him.

Mike being the smartest man in the world and is never wrong makes it hard for BD not to say something that might cause an argument so he fumbles over his words to avoid any disagreements on air.

I have no doubt in my mind Mike Schopp is an order of magnitude smarter than Bulldog. So, he should be intimidated.

yeah but he is still a dick who rubs it in, and not being a sports fan he should do something else.

Maybe so. As I stated before, I think the criticism of him is overblown. How Bulldog gets a pass for hemming and hawing all show long, trying to remember things out loud that he can't, constantly saying "I don't know", and otherwise just occupying airspace with trivial commentary is beyond me.

This. The worst part of most sports talk shows are the callers to be honest.

definitely a lot of dolts who don't know what they are talking about and sound like uneducated hillbillies or gangbangers.

Maybe so. As I stated before, I think the criticism of him is overblown. How Bulldog gets a pass for hemming and hawing all show long, trying to remember things out loud that he can't, constantly saying "I don't know", and otherwise just occupying airspace with trivial commentary is beyond me.

I like Bulldog even though he isn't the greatest, it's like he is the big happy guy that everyone loves.

I like Bulldog even though he isn't the greatest, it's like he is the big happy guy that everyone loves.

To each his own, but other than being cheerful what else does he offer? He's not informative. He's not well read. He's not really funny. He's not an interesting conversationalist. He's basically the Coors Light of talk show hosts. Meh.

yes..Bulldog is like one of your buddies talking Bills FB at the diner...and Mike is the kind of smartass that by the time you've finished your coffee your thinking about how nice it would be to kick his ass.

Anyway..The OP was right. This past week was very enjoyable listening. JMO

To each his own, but other than being cheerful what else does he offer? He's not informative. He's not well read. He's not really funny. He's not an interesting conversationalist. He's basically the Coors Light of talk show hosts. Meh.

He loves Buffalo sports which makes him much easier to listen too, than some one who doesn't.

I actually like Joe B because he has a ton of Bills and football info.

Sal can get on my nerves because he is never wrong either but he's still pretty good.

Murph is fun guy too but too much of a Homer as he gives the team a pass when they clearly shouldn't.

Well that is why I started this thread, Scott. I felt the same way until I heard Bulldog with Sal C. I couldn't believe it was the same guy. Bulldog is a better host without Schopp there.

PTR

Finally. This so right. Bulldog has been, and is a total joke as a host no matter who he's paired with. How he has lasted so long is totally amazing. It's like that idiot at work who keeps getting promoted and everyone just shakes their head.

I heard Sal a year ago when I last listened and wasn't impressed. The best thing he has going for him is that he's not the typical GR guy.

Like I said, I stopped listening a year ago (with the exception of Murph's play by play) and I know for a fact I haven't missed a thing.

Finally. This so right. Bulldog has been, and is a total joke as a host no matter who he's paired with. How he has lasted so long is totally amazing. It's like that idiot at work who keeps getting promoted and everyone just shakes their head.

I heard Sal a year ago when I last listened and wasn't impressed. The best thing he has going for him is that he's not the typical GR guy.

Like I said, I stopped listening a year ago (with the exception of Murph's play by play) and I know for a fact I haven't missed a thing.

..Soo..your commenting about a week of wgr listening w/o having listened to it? :wallbash:

My criticism of Mike Schoop didn't begin in earnest, until he sent his surrogates onto this board(yes, your evil vision, right here. :lol:) and they attacked us, and then refused to answer our questions.

Disclaimer: Normally I never post PM stuff, but, in this instance, due to the passage of time, and the fact that we've never heard from this poster in years, it's appropriate. Especially since he called us all cowards, but then has never shown his face here since.

If you recall, it began with the very same intentional misspelling you see above. I believe I still have all of the PMs from that...checking...yep, I do. The first one includes the famous, "I'll debate you anywhere", and "I'm done with this thread", which was followed of course by 13 posts and 3 more PMs. :lol:

Mike's "friend" said this about his friend:

"There is no doubt that football is his fourth favorite sport behind baseball, hockey and tennis and I'm sure that contributes to his surliness that day(the day after the draft)."

It is therefore not wrong to make this point, and question why we have a guy in Schopp, who doesn't know/doesn't want to talk about football, on the radio, when the Bills are the #1 thing in this town, since it is a matter of fact. A "long 9(now 13) years has made it difficult" for all of us, not just Mike. But, as this site shows, we all still want to talk about the Bills, and, it's Mike's friggin job, for Pete's sake.

And yes, according to Mike's friend, this all started with the Schopp vs. Donahoe thing.

So really, all of this overblown criticism is: your fault. :lol: (Oh, and just realized now that I completely missed a pm from you about helping out. Poor showing on my part. If you need, just ask.)

Bulldog likes football, Sal likes football, Schopp doesn't. Its like sitting down and having a conversation with someone you don't share interests with, awkward and bumpy.

This

when does WGR just make the switch to Sal and Bulldog?

was too busy too listen but I will next time they are together, just to see how they flow together

..Soo..your commenting about a week of wgr listening w/o having listened to it? :wallbash:

No, I was simply following the thread and responded to SDS" comments about marble-mouth. Further, a comment about Sal was thrown in for balance. i don't need to hear the show and/or station ever again to know that you can't pour Evan Williams and tell me it's Bushmills.

Listened for awhile the week ... Much better show and easier to listen to. Addition by subtraction. Schopp is a condescending little prick and I would LOVE to see him off the air.

Harsh words....yet I have to say I agree 100%. I listen to the show when the pantload that is Schopp is not on. Why have a sports talk host who hates the sports that dominate the market? As a fan, I have no option for the afternoon drive time. So I listen the audio vault for segments of the morning show. This past week was great.

The thing I don't understand about Schopp is that when he was with WNSA, he sold himself as the anti-yell at you guy, unlike the show opposite him at the time on GR, Coach and the Bulldog. WTF happened to this guy???

I did catch him subbing for an ESPN national show on a mid summer Sunday afternoon about ten years ago and he was awful. I never heard him nationally since and my theory is that it crushed his spirit to fail beyond WNY.

My opinion on the subject of this week and the on air talent at WGR:

Sal and Bulldog were much better to listen to

BD by himself is bad

Schopp and BD are good together with their bits, they suck on content, which is what they are paid for

Schopp just seems like a jerk

Edited by RichmondRob

With that said, Bulldog is probably the least prepared person I have ever heard on the radio. It's like he walks into the studio and has no idea what the topics are for the day. What he offers is what he can think of off the top of his head and that amounts to a dinner of dry rice cakes.

Sal is leagues above Bulldog. Even Bulldogs nickname lacks any type of originality or effort.

If you follow him on twitter, it seems like he has the easiest life ever. Both these guys get so many days off it's ridiculous. (I know this is my jealousy showing because I own my own business and am able to take very little time off).

It seems like he's spending most of his time running, riding his Harley, spinning records and playing guitar in his attic, sitting on the beach in Canada, etc.

On the air four hours a day when you do have to work and then the minimal show prep that you are talking about - argh - give me that life!