Losman should sit another Year.

kota

I am going to get alot of sh-- for saying this but I want to say my piece. As some of you know I am a Bledsoe supporter. However, I do realize that Losman is the future QB of this team. The kid has talent everyone knows it but 1st round draft Pick QB's scare me. There have been way to many QB's that have been drafted in the 1st round who have gone on to do nothing in the NFL. Tim Couch, Ryan Leaf, Joey Harrington(he seems to be out), etc... Everyone one of these guys were supposed to be the man. The guy who was going to pull their team out of the L column and into the W column. Not one of these guys did it. The list is alot longer.

My theory as to why these guys didn't make it is because of the pressure situation they are put into. They are expected to produce and produce very quickly and if they give into the Media pressure, fan pressure, and pressure from thier organization they will fail and fail miserably. The only person that can save a player is their head coach but with the turn around in head coaches patience isn't a strong suit. All of these guys had talent but I think they failed at the mental part of the game and it cost them their careers.

I would much rather have Losman sit for 2 years to soak up the NFL from his coaches/Players and then have a long career with the Bills then to have him get thrown to the wolves and possibly fail. Losman has an ego and he wants to do well in the NFL. I also see him being able to get frustrated extremely easily which isn't a good thing.

I have said my piece flame away.

I am going to get alot of sh-- for saying this but I want to say my piece.  As some of you know I am a Bledsoe supporter.  However, I do realize that Losman is the future QB of this team.  The kid has talent everyone knows it but 1st round draft Pick QB's scare me.  There have been way to many QB's that have been drafted in the 1st round who have gone on to do nothing in the NFL.  Tim Couch, Ryan Leaf, Joey Harrington(he seems to be out), etc...  Everyone one of these guys were supposed to be the man.  The guy who was going to pull their team out of the L column and into the W column.  Not one of these guys did it.  The list is alot longer. 

My theory as to why these guys didn't make it is because of the pressure situation they are put into.  They are expected to produce and produce very quickly and if they give into the Media pressure, fan pressure, and pressure from thier organization they will fail and fail miserably.  The only person that can save a player is their head coach but with the turn around in head coaches patience isn't a strong suit.  All of these guys had talent but I think they failed at the mental part of the game and it cost them their careers.

I would much rather have Losman sit for 2 years to soak up the NFL from his coaches/Players and then have a long career with the Bills then to have him get thrown to the wolves and possibly fail.  Losman has an ego and he wants to do well in the NFL.  I also see him being able to get frustrated extremely easily which isn't a good thing. 

I have said my piece flame away.

203961[/snapback]

Let's see how he progresses in the off-season and training camp. Even the staunchest Bledsoe fluffers should be able to concede to a "let's open up the competetion and may the best man win" scenario.

My concern would be about the trio you mentioned: Tim Couch, Ryan Leaf, Joey Harrington. They all played from day one. They all failed. So, Cleveland knew last year that Couch wasn't the answer. Why? Because they had seen his play on the field. Why did SD give up on Leaf? Because he failed on the field. Harrington is iffy, we'll have to see, but he hasn't set the world on fire has he?

What would the teams have gained if they sat those QBs for two years? Do you think things would have turned out better? A whole heck of a lot better? If you do then we'll have to disagree. I don't think time would help Ryan Leaf or Tim Couch. They were going to be failures (based on where they were picked) regardless of playing right away or sitting for two years. If the teams sat them for two years what would they have? A two year delay in seeing that he aint the guy.

JP can sit next year. We won't know what he can do on the field. He can get his chance year three and then the clock starts ticking. Or, he can be deemed ready by the coaches and the clock starts ticking now. Only difference is 12 months.

They are expected to produce and produce very quickly and if they give into the Media pressure, fan pressure, and pressure from thier organization they will fail and fail miserably.

203961[/snapback]

Losman was not asked to "produce quickly". He just spent the last year on the practice field and film room. Also, comparing him to Leaf, Harrington & Couch is unfair because they were all asked to play ASAP and they were on TERRIBLE TEAMS!

I think in general, you just can't predict what is better for a young QB, starting early or holding back. We have examples for both that show one thing or the other. Manning started early and was successful. Pennington started and was as well. It may be that if they had done the opposite we would have had similar results, or maybe some QBs respond to one situation better than they would if they did the other. We just can't know.

For me, it seems clear that you just start the best player. Whether he be a rookie or a veteran, who ever gives you the best chance to win you start. This isn't a developmental league here, the job is to win games. Obviously the dynamic changes when you things aren't working and you have to make a guess and try a change or if the team is out of the playoffs. Until then, you put your best player out on the field, you can't know what is better for a young qb and winning should always be paramount.

This really comes down to one thing: when the coaching staff believes he is ready to play, he will play. The benefit (if you want to call it that) of having Bledsoe on the team is that they don't have to play the guy next year if they don't believe he is ready. They will make that decision just fine without our help.

The way I look at it, however, next year may be a very good opportunity to start him, assuming he's mentally ready for it. We have a strong defense which is returning mostly intact. We have an offensive line that began to play well together, and they are returning mostly intact. And we also have two emerging stars on offense, including a running back who appears to be very capable of handling the load of a run-first offense.

Given all of that, while the pressure on JP to succeed will be great (as it will be whenever he is given the green light to start), next season he should have a strong supporting cast around him to help take some of that pressure off of him. It was a similar situation that helped Ben Roth succeed. It was also a very different situation that made Leaf, Harrington, et al, look more lost.