The Matrix

Just for the hell of it.

I was watching this the other day. I think it was part 2 or 3...

It got me thinking.

I could go to google for a real explanation. But just for fun.

What was this trilogy really about?

A) Blockuster action movie with cool scenes

B) Computers. Yeah computers. Some of the characters were "programs"

C) Fill in the blank with your in depth point of view

There was a scene where the administrator or creator (cant think of the correct word) said that the underground city was destroyed like 30 times and they had to make new NEO'S.

A, B, C. Try to use your memory instead of just googling.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first Matrix was kind of a metaphysical sci-fi flick that got married to big budget Hollywood

The 2nd and 3rd were all about the Benjamins

This. The original Matrix is one of my favorite films of all time. The others were cash grabs that require people who fancy themselves as smarter than everyone else to come up with convoluted, often times absurd explanations as to why they were brilliant and above everyone else's head.

They were about a movie-and-a-half too long.

This, too.

This. The original Matrix is one of my favorite films of all time. The others were cash grabs that require people who fancy themselves as smarter than everyone else to come up with convoluted, often times absurd explanations as to why they were brilliant and above everyone else's head.

This, too.

Ha ha. I wanted to hear some of these bizarre explanations. Lol.

There is an action scene where trinity is negotiating neo's release from "the train station." She visits the "something vingian" french guy with the hot wife. Wow she is so perfect. Dont know if you guys remember this scene/hot chick.

Anyway, I saw part 2 and 3 in theatres. When I walked out I told my buds and my bro. , "So what the heck is this movie about?" "Computers, alternate world, or what the heck?"

After about 5 minutes my friends and bro replied with the normal "it's just a movie man. So, which restaurant?"

I think I need to see them from scratch to understand them again.

Aj, you are right about part 1. Very good movie. Didnt require that much thought. It made pretty much sense. 2 and 3 is where they get a little weirdy.

They were about a movie-and-a-half too long.

I didnt mind that Doc, I like long movies.

There is an action scene where trinity is negotiating neo's release from "the train station." She visits the "something vingian" french guy with the hot wife. Wow she is so perfect. Dont know if you guys remember this scene/hot chick.

Remember it very clearly. This where they start talking about old copies of the program and characters (programs) surviving from it. Most of the 2nd and 3rd Matrix except for Xion is alternate environments from previous versions. Can not figure out the whole Neno blind thing.

Ha ha. I wanted to hear some of these bizarre explanations. Lol.

lol...last year this topic came up on an audio/video forum that I lurk on sometimes...there were a few people who were trying to say that parts 2 and 3 were amazing, even though they didn't really offer anything in support of why. So I decided to start searching around online for blogs, articles, etc from people who wanted to try and explain the brilliance of the story. I found this article/blog thing that was literally pages and pages long, attempting to link every obscure element of each film to some broader, but abstract "meaning" that apparently only enlightened people could grasp. I read the first page and the last page, and the only thought that went through my head when it was over was the Wachowskis looking back at me, just laughing their ASSES off at how much effort this poor bastard put into trying to justify his opinion that these films were three perfectly coherent parts of a greater narrative, and how ridiculous it would be if they ever attempted to put THAT much effort into every small detail of their projects. They were laughing so hard that they were using hundred dollar bills to wipe away the tears...(all I had was a five).

Look, I'm all for people who want to take poetry, art, even movies, and offer up explanations of how they inspired them, or how they themselves interpret the meaning of this or that, but to say that it goes beyond that and there really is something cohesive here but on a much higher intellectual level, I'm not buying it. And let me say this, I think the Wachowskis, particularly Lana (the one who had the gender surgery) are both extremely intelligent, creative people. If they didn't put out a part 2 and 3 given the success of the first film, they'd be IDIOTS. People were dying for more after part one, including myself, and it would have been financially absurd to not cash in on that. So it's not THEM that I'm critical of...it's the people who write the nonsense like the blog I described above....they just want so desperately to find a valid explanation as to why Neo could become psychokinetic outside of the Matrix that it comes off as embarrassing lol.

Truly, though, the first film was just sci-fi perfection to me. I've seen it time and time again and I love it every time. Every character is integral to the story and even though they clearly borrowed elements from other films and stories (hey, innovation is just as valid as invention!), the film felt very original and it just worked on every level for me. The sequels were great in terms of their CGI special effects and all that, but that's where it ends in my book.

Edited by ajzepp

The first Matrix was kind of a metaphysical sci-fi flick that got married to big budget Hollywood

The 2nd and 3rd were all about the Benjamins

Ding, Ding, Ding.....We have a winner!

Just for the hell of it.

I was watching this the other day. I think it was part 2 or 3...

It got me thinking.

I could go to google for a real explanation. But just for fun.

What was this trilogy really about?

A) Blockuster action movie with cool scenes

B) Computers. Yeah computers. Some of the characters were "programs"

C) Fill in the blank with your in depth point of view

There was a scene where the administrator or creator (cant think of the correct word) said that the underground city was destroyed like 30 times and they had to make new NEO'S.

A, B, C. Try to use your memory instead of just googling.

You left out another answer.

D) Watch "Dark City", it's a better movie.

Edited by Mark Vader

lol...last year this topic came up on an audio/video forum that I lurk on sometimes...there were a few people who were trying to say that parts 2 and 3 were amazing, even though they didn't really offer anything in support of why. So I decided to start searching around online for blogs, articles, etc from people who wanted to try and explain the brilliance of the story. I found this article/blog thing that was literally pages and pages long, attempting to link every obscure element of each film to some broader, but abstract "meaning" that apparently only enlightened people could grasp. I read the first page and the last page, and the only thought that went through my head when it was over was the Wachowskis looking back at me, just laughing their ASSES off at how much effort this poor bastard put into trying to justify his opinion that these films were three perfectly coherent parts of a greater narrative, and how ridiculous it would be if they ever attempted to put THAT much effort into every small detail of their projects. They were laughing so hard that they were using hundred dollar bills to wipe away the tears...(all I had was a five).

Look, I'm all for people who want to take poetry, art, even movies, and offer up explanations of how they inspired them, or how they themselves interpret the meaning of this or that, but to say that it goes beyond that and there really is something cohesive here but on a much higher intellectual level, I'm not buying it. And let me say this, I think the Wachowskis, particularly Lana (the one who had the gender surgery) are both extremely intelligent, creative people. If they didn't put out a part 2 and 3 given the success of the first film, they'd be IDIOTS. People were dying for more after part one, including myself, and it would have been financially absurd to not cash in on that. So it's not THEM that I'm critical of...it's the people who write the nonsense like the blog I described above....they just want so desperately to find a valid explanation as to why Neo could become psychokinetic outside of the Matrix that it comes off as embarrassing lol.

Truly, though, the first film was just sci-fi perfection to me. I've seen it time and time again and I love it every time. Every character is integral to the story and even though they clearly borrowed elements from other films and stories (hey, innovation is just as valid as invention!), the film felt very original and it just worked on every level for me. The sequels were great in terms of their CGI special effects and all that, but that's where it ends in my book.

Everyone can have their own opinion but I can honestly say that 2 or 3 episodes of your web show were better than the Matrix. And no offense but your web show sucks.

Anyway, to me it seemed like they came up with special effects and then wrote a bunch of crap as excuses to use the effects.

Everyone can have their own opinion but I can honestly say that 2 or 3 episodes of your web show were better than the Matrix. And no offense but your web show sucks.

Anyway, to me it seemed like they came up with special effects and then wrote a bunch of crap as excuses to use the effects.

No offense taken...totally agree!

D) Watch "Dark City", it's a better movie.

Do you have any idea of the bluray transfer is any good? I've been wanting to see this again, cause it's been years since I first saw it. I think this was either Roger Ebert's favorite movie of all time, or one of them. I remember him always praising it pretty effusively.

Do you have any idea of the bluray transfer is any good? I've been wanting to see this again, cause it's been years since I first saw it. I think this was either Roger Ebert's favorite movie of all time, or one of them. I remember him always praising it pretty effusively.

I do not have it on bluray so I don't know.

This was Roger Ebert's favorite movie of the year(1998), in fact on the original dvd I have, Ebert has an audio commentary for it.

I do not have it on bluray so I don't know.

This was Roger Ebert's favorite movie of the year(1998), in fact on the original dvd I have, Ebert has an audio commentary for it.

Oh wow, if that's on the bluray then that'll be worth the price right there...I'd love to hear his commentary on the film.

Oh wow, if that's on the bluray then that'll be worth the price right there...I'd love to hear his commentary on the film.

Yeah, I only heard it once and that was a long time ago. I would hope the bluray has it.

From Amazon...

Special Features

• All-new director's cut and original theatrical cut of the film
  • Documentaries: Introduction by Alex Proyas, Memories of Shell Beach (making of), Architecture of Dreams
  • Production gallery
  • Text essays
  • Neil Gaiman review of Dark City
  • Director's cut fact track
  • Theatrical trailer
  • Multiple audio commentary tracks featuring director Alex Proyas, writers Lem Dobbs and David S. Goyer, director of photography Dariusz Wolski, production designer Patrick Tatopoulos, and film critic Roger Ebert

That's awesome...bluray is $9.99...gonna order this one for sure. Thanks Mark

From Amazon...

Special Features

• All-new director's cut and original theatrical cut of the film
  • Documentaries: Introduction by Alex Proyas, Memories of Shell Beach (making of), Architecture of Dreams
  • Production gallery
  • Text essays
  • Neil Gaiman review of Dark City
  • Director's cut fact track
  • Theatrical trailer
  • Multiple audio commentary tracks featuring director Alex Proyas, writers Lem Dobbs and David S. Goyer, director of photography Dariusz Wolski, production designer Patrick Tatopoulos, and film critic Roger Ebert

That's awesome...bluray is $9.99...gonna order this one for sure. Thanks Mark

WOW! Way to go aj.

That is an amazing deal.

The Matrix whether intentional or by accident is a metaphor for life. The movie does portray what some people believe that everything in this world is an illusion. I could get really deep on this topic but would probably bore most people here.

I haven't posted in this thread bc I feel much the same way. Sure I could go in depth for what I feel the movie represents but most people here have already trashed 2 and 3 so they don't care to hear it.

I'm not knocking anyone when I say that either.

These movies were intentionally never explained by the wachoskis. They wanted people to get their own idea what they were about. I lean heavily towards the religion/spirituality yin and yang myself.

If anyone is interested tell me and ill lay down my "thesis"

I haven't posted in this thread bc I feel much the same way. Sure I could go in depth for what I feel the movie represents but most people here have already trashed 2 and 3 so they don't care to hear it.

I'm not knocking anyone when I say that either.

These movies were intentionally never explained by the wachoskis. They wanted people to get their own idea what they were about. I lean heavily towards the religion/spirituality yin and yang myself.

If anyone is interested tell me and ill lay down my "thesis"

Go for it...seriously, I'd really like to hear anyone's take on the 2nd and 3rd films.

And them saying, "Oh that's not it. That's not the correct explanation"