AFC's most important players

According to writer Mario Williams is most important player for Buffalo. I disagree think it is the other Williams, Kyle Williams, who is is most important player to the Bills IF he can return to form after 2 foot surgeries. When he was on top of his game he was almost unstoppable requiring at least two player to block him and he is not a traditional nose tackle. Never see Mario require two players full time even if a back or TE chips him.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000218721/article/andy-dalton-montee-ball-among-afcs-most-important-players

Buffalo Bills: Mario Williams, defensive end

After signing a megabucks free-agent deal in Buffalo, Williams suffered through a mess of year in 2012. He wasn't 100 percent healthy. He didn't earn his money. And he had a nasty and dramatic separation from his fiancée that played out in the public domain and stirred up questions about his focus.

Now, Buffalo has a new head coach, Doug Marrone, who smartly tabbed Mike Pettine to run his defense. If the Bills are going to make a push, if the defensive line is going to live up to its potential as one of the league's best units, Williams must not only sack the quarterback at a rapid rate, but he needs to hurry the QB, deflect passes, cause fumbles and make splash plays.

According to writer Mario Williams is most important player for Buffalo. I disagree think it is the other Williams, Kyle Williams, who is is most important player to the Bills IF he can return to form after 2 foot surgeries. When he was on top of his game he was almost unstoppable requiring at least two player to block him and he is not a traditional nose tackle. Never see Mario require two players full time even if a back or TE chips him.

http://www.nfl.com/n...portant-players

Buffalo Bills: Mario Williams, defensive end

After signing a megabucks free-agent deal in Buffalo, Williams suffered through a mess of year in 2012. He wasn't 100 percent healthy. He didn't earn his money. And he had a nasty and dramatic separation from his fiancée that played out in the public domain and stirred up questions about his focus.

Now, Buffalo has a new head coach, Doug Marrone, who smartly tabbed Mike Pettine to run his defense. If the Bills are going to make a push, if the defensive line is going to live up to its potential as one of the league's best units, Williams must not only sack the quarterback at a rapid rate, but he needs to hurry the QB, deflect passes, cause fumbles and make splash plays.

That is a big IF.

I am looking at this line and seeing that Kyle Williams might be an odd man out when it comes to pure schematics and architecture. I look at Mark Anderson as the second ugly duckling here. Marcel Dareus may be the goose, and I think Alex Carrington could turn out to be the cygnet.

Of course, if anyone knows my beliefs on coordinating a team then you know I want the best players on the field. Kyle Williams, if he returns to health, is one of those best players. His skill set on an aggressive front defense is best when he can get in a 34 NT position and exploit the gaps between the OG's.

With our team being our team I am not counting on Byrd being a factor at this point in any decisions I make.

I could easily see KWIlliams between the 2's with Dareus beside him along the strong side. A heavy front to the strong side could leave Carrington (or Anderson) to the weakside with MWilliams playing WOLB.

What this would mean for KW is that he would have the opportunity to stuff the line behind the line, similar to what he did a few years ago. MD can stay along the line and jam it up. We of course need two consistent LB's in the middle that can pick up a bouncing RB. I worry about that. Which, without going in to much greater detail makes me wonder how much we can hope for off of the interior DL with so many questions at LB.

Now, to add one little bit about Byrd. Say we are as I expect, and soft up the middle, that leaves Byrd to pick up a lot of tacklers up the middle. If he is on a franchise contract alone I wonder how much he will really want to have to be a run stuffing FS...

That is a big IF.

I am looking at this line and seeing that Kyle Williams might be an odd man out when it comes to pure schematics and architecture. I look at Mark Anderson as the second ugly duckling here. Marcel Dareus may be the goose, and I think Alex Carrington could turn out to be the cygnet.

You are making me hungry - 2 ducks, a geese and a little swan.

Of course, if anyone knows my beliefs on coordinating a team then you know I want the best players on the field. Kyle Williams, if he returns to health, is one of those best players. His skill set on an aggressive front defense is best when he can get in a 34 NT position and exploit the gaps between the OG's.

I could easily see KWIlliams between the 2's with Dareus beside him along the strong side. A heavy front to the strong side could leave Carrington (or Anderson) to the weakside with MWilliams playing WOLB.

What this would mean for KW is that he would have the opportunity to stuff the line behind the line, similar to what he did a few years ago. MD can stay along the line and jam it up. We of course need two consistent LB's in the middle that can pick up a bouncing RB. I worry about that. Which, without going in to much greater detail makes me wonder how much we can hope for off of the interior DL with so many questions at LB.

That is exactly what I am expecting with Kyle Williams, Darius and Carrington as the 3 with rotations to keep them fresh as offense allows with Mario Williams and some combination of Bryant, Anderson, Moats and others as outside LBs. Hopefully they will be rotating guys into other positions on line as they see matchups they want to exploit. They can not allow one player each to shutdown Darius and the Williams.

With our team being our team I am not counting on Byrd being a factor at this point in any decisions I make.

Now, to add one little bit about Byrd. Say we are as I expect, and soft up the middle, that leaves Byrd to pick up a lot of tacklers up the middle. If he is on a franchise contract alone I wonder how much he will really want to have to be a run stuffing FS...

I see Byrd as a fragile toy which will not get much attention despite the high dollar figure. Byrd COULD have been the player the defense was designed to allow him to roam at will but without training camp that can not be schemed. He is going from feature player to celebrity guest star.

I have to disagree. That's a big "if" on Kyle returning to form after those two surgeries. Mario Williams clearly has the athleticism and the talent to be a game changer. It's extremely important for Mario to be a dominant force if this Bills defense is going to be good. With all that money tied up with Mario and for him not to make a difference? That's going to spell doom for the Bills. So, I have to agree with that writer

You are making me hungry - 2 ducks, a geese and a little swan.

That is exactly what I am expecting with Kyle Williams, Darius and Carrington as the 3 with rotations to keep them fresh as offense allows with Mario Williams and some combination of Bryant, Anderson, Moats and others as outside LBs. Hopefully they will be rotating guys into other positions on line as they see matchups they want to exploit. They can not allow one player each to shutdown Darius and the Williams.

I see Byrd as a fragile toy which will not get much attention despite the high dollar figure. Byrd COULD have been the player the defense was designed to allow him to roam at will but without training camp that can not be schemed. He is going from feature player to celebrity guest star.

Who's Bryant? Lawson and Hughes? DT/DE Branch?

Who's Bryant? Lawson and Hughes? DT/DE Branch?

Bryant is a DT/NT from Pburgh, 1 year of experience. At this rate he will contribute as much as one might expect of Hughes. That is to say, no one is sure who he is or what he will contribute.

Alan Branch. How can I say this? I think he is going to be the Kamar Aiken of the Bills this season. He is going to play well in preseason and get everyone to notice him, just like Aiken did. Playing solid preseason games, doing very well. When it comes to the mix of the regular season, against starters I expect the mean to regress just as it did with Aiken. Good players look better against poorer opponents, but some players actually get better with worse opposition.

Jerry Hughes or Aaron Maybin? Do we, as a fanbase, have the patience it might take to give him a real look? We're not coaches and far from expert - but I think many will be quick to cast him aside. (A funny point I am going to look for is how many people ask about Shepard's role for us this year).

I know very little about him but I see so much hot and cold in his game. I cannot remember who it is of the last 15 years that he reminds me of from the Bills, but there was definitely someone. Some plays I have looked at recently look like he is just timid to move and commit to a line of attack, a blitz, or any time of pursuit angle. Other times it looks like he is just trying to move as fast as he can. I am not sure where the power is, but I have not seen much. If anything, he is definitely raw and very undercoached.

Lawson is going to be this years Kirk Morrison. I really wonder if he is going to crack in to the starting line up. If he participates in 30% of the defensive snaps I will eat my shorts. That is not reflective of his ability, it is reflective of odd man out on a specialty defense.

By the way, thanks for letting me talk defense without having tons of Byrd talk.

Kyle Williams as our most important player????

REALLY?????

ARE YOU HIGH?????

Of the last 5 years on defense I would argue that no player has contribute more to our defense then he has. In the last 3 years he has played better then maybe all but 1 other defender.

It confuses me that anyone who follows the Bills in any way would think that anyone other that Spiller is our most important player.

Not to dominate this thread, but I was under the impression this was based on defense only.

It confuses me that anyone who follows the Bills in any way would think that anyone other that Spiller is our most important player.

I don't see how anybody can think it anyone other than Manuel. Spiller was one of the best backs in the league last year and the Bills still won only 6 games. The Bills will go the way of Manuel and if he ends up being a top flight QB I can guarantee the Bills win more than 6 games. On the other hand if he struggles then the Bills will struggle to win 6 games again - even with Spiller or Mario playing well.

To say it's the 1st round QB is obviously the easiest answer, but it doesn't make it less true.