Analytics Department opportunity? please help

Hi,

My name is Thomas, and I have been a Buffalo Bills fan living in LA for 20 years. I have been following this board for 15 years...I would like to ask for your help.

I know that the Buffalo Bills are in the process of creating an analytics department, and I was wondering if anyone can help me to apply for a position in this department.

I have a Masters from Georgia Tech in Industrial & Systems Engineering, with an emphais on statistics and operations research. I have 10+ years of experience in applying statistical knowledge and process improvement principles to help Fortune 100 companies improve their business operations and maximize profits. Here is my LinkedIN profile for a summary of my background:

http://www.linkedin....ive_tab_profile

Most importantly, I love the Buffalo Bills. I have been an avid fan since I was in the 5th grade, when I grew up watching Thurman Thomas and fell in love with the team. I flew all the way to Buffalo from California with my brother in 2011 to watch the Bills play at home (if you can see the picture, I am the one on the right).

The Bills actually inspired me to become a better person because they taught me what perseverence and character looked like in real life. I want to help this team win - if I am able to work for this department, I believe I can help this team be better. This would truly be my dream job.

I know this may be a pipedream, but I wanted to at least know that I tried. If anyone can or refer me to someone in the organization, please let me know. Thank you!

Regards,

Thomas

post-6055-0-31909400-1374120532_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rockee96

Hi,

My name is Thomas, and I have been a Buffalo Bills fan living in LA for 20 years. I have been following this board for 15 years...I would like to ask for your help.

I know that the Buffalo Bills are in the process of creating an analytics department, and I was wondering if anyone can help me to apply for a position in this department.

I have a Masters from Georgia Tech in Industrial & Systems Engineering, with an emphais on statistics and operations research. I have 10+ years of experience in applying statistical knowledge and process improvement principles to help Fortune 100 companies improve their business operations and maximize profits. Here is my LinkedIN profile for a summary of my background:

Most importantly, I love the Buffalo Bills. I have been an avid fan since I was in the 5th grade, when I grew up watching Thurman Thomas and fell in love with the team. I flew all the way to Buffalo from California with my brother in 2011 to watch the Bills play at home (if you can see the picture, I am the one on the right).

The Bills actually inspired me to become a better person because they taught me what perseverence and character looked like in real life. I want to help this team win - if I am able to work for this department, I believe I can help this team be better. This would truly be my dream job.

I know this may be a pipedream, but I wanted to at least know that I tried. If anyone can or refer me to someone in the organization, please let me know. Thank you!

Regards,

Thomas

If two kids were able to prank Buddy Nix on the phone I can't imagine it would be too difficult to get in touch with them. Just call em!!!!

This department doesn't exist and they're not serious about it. It's a nice marketing ploy by Russ.

But I would be curious to hear their reaction if you applied. Maybe it would actually prompt them to start it. Good luck!

This.

They talked a good game but have not publicly done anything. It's amazing a franchise in a competitive Billion dollar industry doesn't want every competitive advantage they can get....sigh...

This.

They talked a good game but have not publicly done anything. It's amazing a franchise in a competitive Billion dollar industry doesn't want every competitive advantage they can get....sigh...

Maybe, it's simply because the Bills never in their history put winning as a priority. And with a new CEO they still don't.

A dept. like that is not under any CBA, it's something a forward thinking franchise would do, to gain a advantage no matter how small. But it costs money. And, subtracts from the bottom line. Meaning profit margins. You would need more than one guy in the basement without even a stapler.

Brandon even mentioning it, then backing off says volumes about one of the worst franchises in all of professional sports.

Maybe he thinks he got lucky with his new coaches and that all the fans need to fill the seats. Well, for the first few games anyways.

I guess there's a good chance the word "tarnished" was just a convenient buzzword for a marketer.

Hi,

Regards,

Thomas

I sent you a message

Some of you people are not bright. All NFL teams already employ analytics. Maybe they should just put 'ANALYTICS' on somebody's office door so the dum dums can understand and stop with the....but....but he said there would be an analytics DEPARTMENT.

Anyways, how about we encourage and laud the original poster instead of continuing to hijack his thread into yet another B word session.

-------------------------------

Unfortunately, I can't help, but I offer you my kudos, Rockee96 and wish you well.

Some of you people are not bright. All NFL teams already employ analytics. Maybe they should just put 'ANALYTICS' on somebody's office door so the dum dums can understand and stop with the....but....but he said there would be an analytics DEPARTMENT.

Anyways, how about we encourage and laud the original poster instead of continuing to hijack his thread into yet another B word session.

-------------------------------

Unfortunately, I can't help, but I offer you my kudos, Rockee96 and wish you well.

Well...you should be careful about that one.

When Russ Brandon was named Buffalo Bills president in January, he announced that the team would be implementing a "robust" analytics department to boost football operations. Four months later, Brandon acknowledged the program does not yet exist.

And if the Bills preiviously had soem sort of analytics entity (I will not say "Department", don't worry), it is news to this man...

General manager Buddy Nix told the Buffalo News: "You know, obviously, I'm old-school in more ways than one," Nix said, laughing.“It’ll be something I’ll have to get used to because I go a lot on feel and what I see.”

Anyway, a bright guy like you should understand that Brandon, with his baseball background, was specifically talking about "moneyball" type sabremetrics being incorporated into the way the Bills fill their roster (not the salary cap analysis they had done in the past-he specifically said) and that "all NFL teams" in fact do not employ "analytics" in the way Russ is describing.

I now feel less dum dum.

Thank you all for your advice and encouragements!

I really do hope that Russ Brandon meant what he said regarding the analytics deparment! I was thinking of maybe contacting WGR 550.

I'll keep you posted on any updates. Thanks.

Well...you should be careful about that one.

And if the Bills preiviously had soem sort of analytics entity (I will not say "Department", don't worry), it is news to this man...

Anyway, a bright guy like you should understand that Brandon, with his baseball background, was specifically talking about "moneyball" type sabremetrics being incorporated into the way the Bills fill their roster (not the salary cap analysis they had done in the past-he specifically said) and that "all NFL teams" in fact do not employ "analytics" in the way Russ is describing.

I now feel less dum dum.

Thank you. And here I thought I was a complete idiot.

Jeremy2020: No one is raining on the OP's parade. We actually all want what he wants-- someone to join the organization and do analytics. "Salary cap" analytics--which is what Russ claims we do--is nothing more than managing the cap. It's not the type of player e v a l analytics that he claimed we were going to start implementing.

Why would you ask HERE for help getting a job with the Bills? Why in the world would you ever call WGR? You have a Masters degree???? It took me all of a minute to look on the Bills website, under "about us" and click where it says JOB OPPORTUNITIES. There are none at the current time. You can apply for future notification. You could also send your resume with a cover letter directly to OBD. You really want a job with the Bills? Move to Buffalo. Get an internship with the Bills. Stand out enough to be noticed. Work your way up to a paying job. They just don't hand out jobs to anyone who wants one.

Why would you ask HERE for help getting a job with the Bills? Why in the world would you ever call WGR? You have a Masters degree???? It took me all of a minute to look on the Bills website, under "about us" and click where it says JOB OPPORTUNITIES. There are none at the current time. You can apply for future notification. You could also send your resume with a cover letter directly to OBD. You really want a job with the Bills? Move to Buffalo. Get an internship with the Bills. Stand out enough to be noticed. Work your way up to a paying job. They just don't hand out jobs to anyone who wants one.

Because it's at least starting somewhere. And you never know what you're going to stumble upon. The front door is rarely the place where people get breaks. He's already done work for Fortune 100 companies, he doesn't need a freakin' internship. But hey, I'm sure you enjoyed trying to rain on his parade.

Edited by BEAST MODE BABY!

So you've never networked? You've never heard there was nothing available and then learned through a contact that something actually was?

Geez, way to piss in the Cheerios.

Dear OP: I've done the analytics on your desire. According to my calculations, you have about a 2.47% chance of landing this dream job through this forum. Now if you do what kasper13 has suggested, it bumps up to 39.28%. Good luck! We should all have our dream job!

People really get riled up over nothing...

Networking on a messageboard, while maybe not the *best* technique, does sometimes lead to things. I ended up where I am, in a way, because of a messageboard contact (10 years ago!) - you never know who's out there.

Rockee the Bills are also on LinkedIn (and you can connect with people within the organization there). The Bills and several NFL teams run jobs through teamworkonline http://footballjobs.teamworkonline.com/teamwork/jobs/default.cfm Best bet is probably to go to Buffalo meet some people and find someone to get a meeting with!

As for the analytics department who knows what's going on? Is there a link with more info it's not happening? With Whaley just taking over and Russ still fresh into his job, it may take a while to get things up and running. There could be planning going on, etc. Or not. Who knows?

People really get riled up over nothing...

Networking on a messageboard, while maybe not the *best* technique, does sometimes lead to things. I ended up where I am, in a way, because of a messageboard contact (10 years ago!) - you never know who's out there.

This + a bunch. Heitz is right, you never know. Exhaust every avenue. Best of luck!

You seem to have both the qualifications and the passion. So if I were you, I'd write Russ Brandon an email much like your post here. And then I'd write Doug Whaley. I'd even write Chris Brown and ask for his help & suggestions.

If you look hard enough, you'll figure out how to contact all these guys.

And, btw, even though the Bills are not actively hiring statisticians for their supposed analytics department right now, I think you should write the emails anyway to start a dialogue that could lead somewhere. You'll never catch any fish if you don't throw your line into the water.

Good luck!!!

Yeah I don't know why people try. It so much easier to not try, b!tch about it and throw stones at people that put themselves out there.

And starting all over at the bottom first without attempting to leverage transferable accomplishments into a better entry point is certainly something to resort to only after trying Every other avenue first. Why squander a decade of paid dues and what's likely a good salary.

Rarely call out posters here, but this is an absurd post to the nth degree. And I'm only calling you out because you bashed someone with a legit, friendly thread.

It's called networking. You are assuming he is going to only rely on this thread to get him his dream job? And don't you know many of the good jobs are not advertised? Second, if he has experience, he's not going to become a God damn intern. Third, networking is all about connections.

I'd hire this guy based on his thread a hundred times over versus a guy like you based on yours.

Good luck, Thomas!

I can't believe how any would bash the guy for his efforts! This place is ridiculous. Fwiw, the guy has been steered in the right direction and it was certainly in his best interests to post through here. He is ambitious and experienced. Why would someone criticize him for trying? Just because you hate your life doesn't mean that everyone else needs to be as negative as you. Hopefully it works out for Thomas.

Errr, ahhh, vote Quimby? A direct quote from Brandon when questioned on analytics: "It's another layer to any process when it comes to football. But it'd be very focused on salary-cap management and everything we do on that front. It will never take away from the scouting process that we have in place now." You were saying? Edited by Thurmal34

This.

Even if they did, I'd expect them to f' it up.

Either way, the best thing that they could do is to not hire Bills fans for those roles. Too many conflicts of interest possibilities. You want the most objective people in place.

As to the analytics, having them is one thing, knowing what to do w/ them is entirely another.

It's hardly a lack of analytics that hasn't gotten a deal w/ Byrd done either. When you let Levitre walk "to be able to get a deal done w/ Byrd," and it doesn't happen, well, that screams volumes.

Wilson's not long for this world, when he kicks let's see what happens to the team and if it even stays in B-lo.

Errr, ahhh, vote Quimby? A direct quote from Brandon when questioned on analytics: "It's another layer to any process when it comes to football. But it'd be very focused on salary-cap management and everything we do on that front. It will never take away from the scouting process that we have in place now." You were saying?

As I said...

The Bills had been using (non "robust") analytics for cap management only. Again, this is something totally different--and not something they have done before. That's kind of the whole point of this discussion. Not the same as they had before.