USA Today link "Ranking Teams by Skill Position"...Frankly sur

I was wholly expecting the Bills to be 30-32 at best, but found them way early at #23....Not sure it means anything, but interesting to see nonetheless... #23 Buffalo Bills: (C.J. Spiller, Stevie Johnson, Fred Jackson, Robert Woods, Scott Chandler): C.J. Spiller will try to do it all in 2013, and the Bills should let any remaining reins off. The team needs one of the unproven players opposite Stevie Johnson to take advantage of the opportunity. Complete story --> http://www.thebiglead.com/index.php/2013/07/05/ranking-nfl-teams-by-skill-positions-atlanta-falcons-rank-among-the-games-greatest-quartets/

There are too many bad teams for the bills to be 30-32. Thought I would expect them to be ranked lower than that by someone on the outside. I think 23 is fair, we do have talent. The main reason we still suck is that we haven't had a proven QB in forever, and hopefully that changes.

Though they have KC ranked WAY too low. Bowe and charles alone should bring them into the top 20 imo.

The rankings seem reasonable to me. Last season, Spiller averaged 6.0 yards per carry. Thurman Thomas never averaged more than 4.9 yards per carry. (Of course, YPC doesn't take into account the other aspects of the game--aspects at which Thurman was better than Spiller.)

Stevie Johnson is a very solid #1 WR who consistently gets open against Darrell Revis. Chandler is a reasonably good pass catching TE.

The Bills may not have much proven talent at #2 or #3 WR, but that's why they used a second round pick on Robert Woods.

Is there room for improvement with the above situation? Absolutely. Stevie Johnson is good, but not in the same category as Larry Fitzgerald. Spiller will probably get less than half the RB touches; which means that Fred Jackson's age and injuries are a serious concern. Chandler is also coming off of injury; and isn't Gronkowski even when healthy. Even if Robert Woods ultimately has a successful NFL career--which is not a given--it's worth noting that even ultimately successful WRs typically contribute little during their first two years.

But as Bills fans, it's easy for us to become overly focused on our own team's problems; forgetting that other teams have their share of problems as well. Few if any teams have a RB as good as Spiller, and there are plenty of teams with a #1 WR less good than Stevie Johnson.

You could certainly nitpick that list, but it's nice to see in print what I've been saying for two years -- namely, the Jets have the worst skill position players in the league.

Edit: and yet again, further proof of why Wannstedt should have been fired after week one last year.

Edited by eball

this rating doesnt figure in QB so I say we have better players than some of the top ten teams, i see old running backs on a few, no name running backs, average receivers and 6 guys listed on most the other teams whereas we have only 5. How is Baltimore rated higher? Torey smith? hes average. Steven jackson and gonzalez on the falcons, arent they ten year plus players? the pats have lost big names and are actually listing donald jones as their wr. who are the denver running backs now? ive never heard of any of them. I see about 5 teams who def have more talent at the skill position than the bills mainly due to having a TE, houston, NO, SF....It has The chiefs at the bottom but the bengals and the panthers near the middle? steve smith as the only WR listed at 35 and whos really good on the bengals besides Greene? do they have a RB anyones heard of?

the ratings are almost backwards

How is New England 13th?

Because at the skilled positions they have one great TE, a talented (but always busted WR, and an above average RB. That really isn't much at the skilled positions.

steve smith as the only WR listed at 35 and whos really good on the bengals besides Greene? do they have a RB anyones heard of?

The Panthers made me scratch my head too. Bengals have a strong TE group, but I can't think of who their running backs are.

The rankings seem reasonable to me. Last season, Spiller averaged 6.0 yards per carry. Thurman Thomas never averaged more than 4.9 yards per carry. (Of course, YPC doesn't take into account the other aspects of the game--aspects at which Thurman was better than Spiller.)

Interesting. I wonder what happens to spillers YPC in the new O... 6 in going the be hard to replicate ang the one thing the chan offense did seem to do is set up those home run running plays.

Interesting. I wonder what happens to spillers YPC in the new O... 6 in going the be hard to replicate ang the one thing the chan offense did seem to do is set up those home run running plays.

Agreed. Even Barry Sanders "only" averaged 5.0 yards per carry during his career. An average of 6.0 yards per carry is just insane. But even if Spiller averages, say, 5.5 yards per carry this upcoming season, that's still really, really good.

Because at the skilled positions they have one great TE, a talented (but always busted WR, and an above average RB. That really isn't much at the skilled positions.

I think 13 is too high not low.

The Panthers made me scratch my head too. Bengals have a strong TE group, but I can't think of who their running backs are.

How is New England 13th?

Besides Brady and maybe Amendola who else would you want from NE offense? Seriously, if/when Brady retires watch BB go right along with him. Save the Matt Cassel talk, since Cassel the front office has been striped away, and the talent on the field is showing it.

Because they really don't have much talent on their roster past Tom Brady. Wilfork, Ridley, who else?

PTR

I know, I think 13 is too high not too low.

Besides Brady and maybe Amendola who else would you want from NE offense? Seriously, if/when Brady retires watch BB go right along with him. Save the Matt Cassel talk, since Cassel the front office has been striped away, and the talent on the field is showing it.

No one, 13 is too high.

Because they really don't have much talent on their roster past Tom Brady. Wilfork, Ridley, who else?

PTR

I don't know, Gronk can easily be considered one of the best TE's in the league. Amendola isn't bad either. Donald Jones does suck though

#23 Buffalo Bills: (C.J. Spiller, Stevie Johnson, Fred Jackson, Robert Woods, Scott Chandler)

Not to be a homer but I would rate us better than #23. The only weak link here is Robert Woods who is 'weak' only by virtue of being unproven at the NFL level.

Chandler is an okay TE, CJ and Freddy are a great RB duo and Stevie is an elusive WR who finds ways to get open. If a 2nd WR proves himself (Woods, TJ or whoever), the Bills will be in good shape at non-QB offensive skill positions. The weaknesses in the roster are elsewhere.