Most Overrated Player

all three new wide receivers. theres a good chance thats still a MAJOR weakness this year, even if all 3 turn out successful long term. many have chalked them up as a strength. currently, the depth chart is still VERY risky.

Edited by NoSaint

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tough to answer. For any over/under rated question, you have to start with the question of where they're rated. Otherwise, you're just throwing one opinion out there without a point of reference. I'll do a couple below:

Jerry Hughes. OK, we traded for this guy and are paying him, so I assume that he's penciled in as the starter. 40 tackles and 4 sacks doesn't sound like starting material to me, so I think he's over rated. Even if he has the 70 tackle totals of his first two seasons in the NFL, that doesn't measure to a starter for me.

Manny Lawson. Just like Hughes, his numbers were underwhelming last season. He was even less productive than Hughes due to injury, and now is supposed to be our weak side starter.

Our linebackers have been laughable at best for a long long time. Given the fact that these guys are supposed to represent an improvement over Nick Barnett and Kelvin Sheppard, I would say they're both significantly over rated. If anything, it looks like (but for the potential of Alonso), that we're in for more of the same at linebacker this year. That's a failure in my mind. In terms of Mario Williams, he put up 11.5 sacks last year with a bum arm. Do we so easily forget that Bruce Smith only had 12-14 a season during most of his best years? Mario had the quietest 11.5 sack season that I can ever remember. I'm also not sure why Easley would even be an option. What's the expectation or rating of a guy that hasn't taken the field in his career? None for me.

Tough to answer. For any over/under rated question, you have to start with the question of where they're rated. Otherwise, you're just throwing one opinion out there without a point of reference. I'll do a couple below:

Jerry Hughes. OK, we traded for this guy and are paying him, so I assume that he's penciled in as the starter. 40 tackles and 4 sacks doesn't sound like starting material to me, so I think he's over rated. Even if he has the 70 tackle totals of his first two seasons in the NFL, that doesn't measure to a starter for me.

Manny Lawson. Just like Hughes, his numbers were underwhelming last season. He was even less productive than Hughes due to injury, and now is supposed to be our weak side starter.

Our linebackers have been laughable at best for a long long time. Given the fact that these guys are supposed to represent an improvement over Nick Barnett and Kelvin Sheppard, I would say they're both significantly over rated. If anything, it looks like (but for the potential of Alonso), that we're in for more of the same at linebacker this year. That's a failure in my mind. In terms of Mario Williams, he put up 11.5 sacks last year with a bum arm. Do we so easily forget that Bruce Smith only had 12-14 a season during most of his best years? Mario had the quietest 11.5 sack season that I can ever remember. I'm also not sure why Easley would even be an option. What's the expectation or rating of a guy that hasn't taken the field in his career? None for me.

i dont think hughes is penciled as a starter. maybe.

Freddy Jackson. Invested way to much into a player way over the hill for his position. I route for the guy, but he just doesn't get it done anymore. He is older then most backs int he league. Another Nix / Gailey failure. I don't know how they could have got him cheaper after the year he had in 2011, but if they would have waited until the end of 2012 maybe. But way overrated with CJ on the team.

Brad Smith. Why is he still on the roster?

Very good point and a very good add to the list. We go out and pay this guy to be a multi-functional asset and then he mostly just rides the pine. That definitely doesn't make any sense to me. I hereby change my vote to Brad Smith. LOL.

Most over rated has to be Byrd. He's very good player at a position where you don't see a huge difference in production between the different tiers. Elite, very good, solid, serviceable.

Also, Elite safties take away half of the field and beat wide recievers to balls. Very good ones are sure tacklers and get their hands on over thrown balls. Byrd is very good.

Most over rated has to be Byrd. He's very good player at a position where you don't see a huge difference in production between the different tiers. Elite, very good, solid, serviceable.

Also, Elite safties take away half of the field and beat wide recievers to balls. Very good ones are sure tacklers and get their hands on over thrown balls. Byrd is very good.

I think all time it has to be Reuben Brown. Lost track of the number of times I heard holding/false start #79. Teams got so much pressure blitzing the interior of the offensive line. I like the earlier commen ts about Dareus and Kyle. I don't know why these guys get so much praise when the team has been so horrible against the run.

I think all time it has to be Reuben Brown. Lost track of the number of times I heard holding/false start #79. Teams got so much pressure blitzing the interior of the offensive line. I like the earlier commen ts about Dareus and Kyle. I don't know why these guys get so much praise when the team has been so horrible against the run.

Because they're not solely responsible for stopping the run. Biggest flaw in the Bills defense last year was the linebackers. They couldn't stop anyone from running the football. Dareus is a big reason why despite a very very slow start that Mario Williams ended the season with 11.5 sacks. Williams and Dareus are clearly not at the level of under perform that we've seen at other positions.

Because they're not solely responsible for stopping the run. Biggest flaw in the Bills defense last year was the linebackers. They couldn't stop anyone from running the football. Dareus is a big reason why despite a very very slow start that Mario Williams ended the season with 11.5 sacks. Williams and Dareus are clearly not at the level of under perform that we've seen at other positions.

They are certainly more talented than the LBs but in terms of underperforming they are in the conversation.

Couldn't disagree more. Linebackers are generally only as good as the lineman in front of them. Dareus and Kyle have to keep them clean and allow a free pass to the ball carrier.

Edited by MrLocke

Mario Williams. easy pick.

By nearly 100 million dollars. and you get smoked by a Jets back up one on one all game then whine? First game even?

Anyone who has not met potential vs money paid at this ratio is just over the top.

Dont tell me 10.5 sacks. I watched every game and some twice last year. in slo mo too. and someone has to finally get there when the rec are covered. blecch. ptooey

And you fools are quibbling about Byrd. seriously ?

Edited by 3rdand12

You know this is a great point the whole defense was overrated because they were called an NFL defense.

I really hope it was more about bad coaching than players. There are not a lot of new players. Kiko sounds like he's more of a play maker than shep. But who knows... Hope it was coaching.

I really hope wanny was the problem.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

I really hope wanny was the problem.

He was a huge part of the problem...no question about it.

Mike Nolan is the perfect example of how much more you can get out of the same talent when you actually COORDINATE instead of just playing vanilla D and picking ur butt all game. Atlanta's D went from a weakness to a strength over the course of one offseason. Basically the same talent, maybe even less talent, but a huge upgrade in terms of the brains behind the operation. Pettine's gonna bring the brains for us this season.

Unit - LB's. Yes I know they are regarded as the worst unit but they are so bad they are still overrated

Player - Stevie - He is a very good #2 but no team game plans to stop him. Even Mario, KW, and Dareus are schemed against

All time - Moorman, Conlan, Talley, Levy, Levitre