The $99. iPod

OnTheRocks

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

512MB is nothing.... 

For double that price, you can get the 20gig iPod, which holds roughly 40 times the amount as the $99 one.

201881[/snapback]

yeah...but how much do music do you need for a 4 hour drive?

anything further than a 4 hour drive turns into a 2 hour plane trip.

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000410026986/

I don't see what the big deal is; I bought a 20G Dell DJ for about $150 several months ago, and with that I don't have to pick and choose what to put on the player.  To each their own.  If I wanted a flash-based player, I'd just use my Palm Pilot.

CW

201882[/snapback]

I will say the fact that it is frigging tiny is cool, but to me, not really worth it.

They should have made it 2gig for $150, and they would have sold me.

I don't see what the big deal is; I bought a 20G Dell DJ for about $150 several months ago, and with that I don't have to pick and choose what to put on the player.  To each their own.  If I wanted a flash-based player, I'd just use my Palm Pilot.

CW

201882[/snapback]

Fez, do you download songs or do you burn from CD's? I'm trying to find a good sight to download from without spyware but can't find anyplace. I have tried Kazaa since that's what everyone says but it never works.

yeah...but how much do music do you need for a 4 hour drive?

anything further than a 4 hour drive turns into a 2 hour plane trip.

201883[/snapback]

I've always hated this argument about the iPod (sorry, but i do :doh: )

Obviously, I will never need the 15 gigs of songs I currently have on my iPod. Thats what, 3 days of music?

The point is, I have a choice of ANY ONE of my songs. I don't have to leave any at home.

I mean, sure, I could get on a plane with a 128Meg MP3 player, and make it to most places, but I hope I dont ever think "wish i could hear this song, etc".

The bigger the HD (or flash capability in this case) the more options.

Fez, do you download songs or do you burn from CD's? I'm trying to find a good sight to download from without spyware but can't find anyplace. I have tried Kazaa since that's what everyone says but it never works.

201890[/snapback]

LimeWire, ... but you didnt hear that from me :doh:

I'm certainly not an Apple guy (work for Dell, own nothing but Dell), but the iPod Shuffle is a cool little product.  I like the fact that Apple actually put a competitive price on this.  Compare it with Creative's MuVo:

http://www.creative.com/products/welcome.a...subcategory=215

201902[/snapback]

Again, I wouldn't mind having one, but really, how is it "cool"? Its basically just a flash memory stick with headphones.

I've always hated this argument about the iPod (sorry, but i do :doh: )

Obviously, I will never need the 15 gigs of songs I currently have on my iPod. Thats what, 3 days of music?

The point is, I have a choice of ANY ONE of my songs. I don't have to leave any at home.

I mean, sure, I could get on a plane with a 128Meg MP3 player, and make it to most places, but I hope I dont ever think "wish i could hear this song, etc".

The bigger the HD (or flash capability in this case) the more options.

201894[/snapback]

this is what i get for starting a thread about something i know absolutely nothing about.

this is what i get for starting a thread about something i know absolutely nothing about.

201910[/snapback]

no, its cool :doh:

I'm just saying, on my last flight, I had my iPod with me, with about 3,000 or so songs on it. Of course, I couln't listen to all of those during my whole vacation, much less the flight, but it's nice to have the option of listening to any of them.

It would be like saying "you're ride to work is only 30 minutes, why do you have 10 CDs in your car, when one would more than do it?"

CW

201882[/snapback]

yup, i got the dell 15 gig jukebox for like 120, works fantastic, and i am nowhere near filling the thing up...

What's cool is the sub $500 Macintosh. No more, "I like Mac OS X but they're just too expensive!"

Steve Jobs will show me the future and I will pay him to do so.

Brains.... brains....

Again, I wouldn't mind having one, but really, how is it "cool"? Its basically just a flash memory stick with headphones.

201908[/snapback]

True...but my flash memory stick won't allow me to plug headphones in...this will. I understand your argument, but I think that this is a great option for those not wanting to shell out $100 for a crappy 128mb "no-name" mp3 player nor wanting to spend $250+ on a portable hard drive.

BFD....Creative Labs has had this one on the market for a while.  Apple acts like they reinvented the wheel.

201957[/snapback]

No offense, but I shall be going on a rant that will include most of my Bills brothers in this thread....

Your criticism is unfounded. Were you at MWSF? Did you read the reports from there? I'm guessing no...

Flash-based players had 62% of the market in 2003 - the iPod mini reduced that to 29%. Now, Apple has targeted the remaining 29% who see a value in extremely small devices. They DID NOT claim to reinvent the wheel. They ARE expanding their product line to appeal to users who have different needs.

Considering Apple is kicking the absolute SNOT out of every single competitor in this area - with higher prices - maybe pausing to actually evaluate their new product would be worthwhile. :doh:

True...but my flash memory stick won't allow me to plug headphones in...this will.  I understand your argument, but I think that this is a great option for those not wanting to shell out $100 for a crappy 128mb "no-name" mp3 player nor wanting to spend $250+ on a portable hard drive.

201951[/snapback]

Plus, the ITunes software is actually usable and their downloads from the music store are not too shabby, though you can still hear some of the conversion artifacts in some songs. (I like the idea since I still make somewhat of a living through the music industry.)

I think it's a great idea, though I personally would wait for the emergence of higher-capacity flash.

CW

201882[/snapback]

You know, perhaps you should look at why Apple has 70% of the market with higher prices than their competitors? Perhaps there is some additional value there? Windows users are buying them by the handfuls. Every time someone mentions the iPod - you jump on it with criticisms.

I read you drive a Camry. Was that the cheapest car you could find? Couldn't you have purchased a KIA? I mean afterall - a car is only 4 wheels, an engine, and a couple of seats wrapped in sheet metal...

Apparently, price isn't the end all of everything you buy - why should it be the end of MP3 players?

The tight integration with iTunes, the music store, the players, the gorgeous designs, the COUNTLESS after market products, the integration into automobiles all have significant value to - well 70% of the marketplace and it shouldn't be dismissed at every single opportunity.