Vonta Leach

He was just released by the Ravens. He was considered as the best FB in the NFL just a year or two ago. A great blocking fullback. We should take a look at him

My guess is that Leach heads back to the Texans to again be the lead blocker for Arian Foster.

While I don't dislike Vona Leach, I don't see the Bills going in this direction. Right now, they're talking about having Freddy and CJ on the field much of the time and at the same time. In that type of setup, there's very little use for a blocking fullback, regardless of how good of a blocker he is. Besides that point, Leach would probably come with a decent price tag. If they're not going with more of a single back system and a fullback blocker, it really wouldn't seem to make sense.

While I don't dislike Vona Leach, I don't see the Bills going in this direction. Right now, they're talking about having Freddy and CJ on the field much of the time and at the same time. In that type of setup, there's very little use for a blocking fullback, regardless of how good of a blocker he is. Besides that point, Leach would probably come with a decent price tag. If they're not going with more of a single back system and a fullback blocker, it really wouldn't seem to make sense.

They could use him in some full house formations. And the idea of Cj/Freddy always being on the field together is a nice thought, but unrealistic. Constantly marching out our backs together so that can be on the field simultaneously is not going to happen.

They could use him in some full house formations. And the idea of Cj/Freddy always being on the field together is a nice thought, but unrealistic. Constantly marching out our backs together so that can be on the field simultaneously is not going to happen.

OK, so your opinion trumps comments that came directly from Marrone that said that would be the case? That's quite laughable at best.

This.

With so many young weapons, why restrict the number we can put on the field by using a FB. This offense seems geared more towards creating space with alignment and scheme, as opposed to a more tradition I formation set.

Pretty sure I heard from OBD they'll use 'big ole linemen', offensive & defensive alike, for short yardage.

FB is a fast disappearing position from the pro game. How else do you explain a perennial PB player kicked to the curb?

This.

With so many young weapons, why restrict the number we can put on the field by using a FB. This offense seems geared more towards creating space with alignment and scheme, as opposed to a more tradition I formation set.

100% on board. Too many times people jump on these threads about "try this guy" or "sign that guy". Do we really need someone taking up a roster spot that will barely see the field? There's plenty of guys out there that might be great in another system, but wouldn't fit for what this team is trying to do.

Marrone seems to love single back formations (Which is best for Spiller anyway). I like Leach as a FB, but I don't think the Bills have much use for this guy. Supposedly the Bills will be spreading the field, not using a power run game (something Spiller isn't capable of anyway). The Bills also have Gragg and Dorin Dickerson, two h-back type of guys.Those type of guys are starting to replace FB's in the NFL, where the emphasis is spreading the field and speed, not power.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Supposedly the Bills will be spreading the field, not using a power run game (something Spiller isn't capable of anyway). The Bills also have Gragg and Dorin Dickerson, two h-back type of guys.Those type of guys are starting to replace FB's in the NFL, where the emphasis is spreading the field and speed, not power

On the other side of the coin it would be nice to have a power running game at the ready...... In the event we have a lead entering the 4th qtr...against a good offensive team. Keeps the opposing offense off the field, kills clock and takes advantage of a "winded" defense.

I dont know if signing Leach make sense...or not. Power running games are a pretty cool thing though IMO.

jb

On the other side of the coin it would be nice to have a power running game at the ready...... In the event we have a lead entering the 4th qtr...against a good offensive team. Keeps the opposing offense off the field, kills clock and takes advantage of a "winded" defense.

I dont know if signing Leach make sense...or not. Power running games are a pretty cool thing though IMO.

jb

I'm having trouble interpreting this. Do you mean to say that without a full back our offense will lack the potential to have a power running game? I wouldn't be so quick to assume that a spread scheme necessarily lacks power. Virtually any play run out of the tradition I formation can be done out of a single backfield by dictating defensive alignment with formation and motion, I envision our running attack being aggressive and powerful

The free-spending Dolphins may not be done acquiring veteran free agents. Fullback Vonta Leach, who was cut by the Ravens today, will visit the Dolphins tomorrow, according to multiple reports. If he were to sign in Miami, Leach would be expected to start ahead of any of the fullbacks currently on the roster.

Pretty sure I heard from OBD they'll use 'big ole linemen', offensive & defensive alike, for short yardage.

FB is a fast disappearing position from the pro game. How else do you explain a perennial PB player kicked to the curb?

You're right. Lorenzo Neal went to 4 straight Pro Bowls and was First Team All-Pro for two consecutive years before he became a free agent… and basically no one wanted him.

Aging fullbacks no matter how good, are just not valued commodities. CMac was one of the best special teamers in the league and no one is interested in signing him.

The devaluing of fullbacks is kind of amazing.

jb

Agreed.

Blocking fullback or not, hopefully the Bills retain a power running back on the roster this year.