Xbox One - WOW!!

ajzepp

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not about which console is "winning", it's about a company that is listening to what its customers want, and another company that is trying to tell customers what they want.

You mean the same company that, in order to "protect" their music, installed a root kit on everyone's PC?

And yeah, of course they can modify the firmware to stop the daily check after say, 10 years or so. Where did they say they are ever going to do that? Ask the Halo 2 players about Microsoft servers lol.

It's not firmware, it's just software. And Major Nelson actually said they weren't going to leave people high and dry after 10 years:

http://www.neowin.net/news/banned-xbox-live-users-will-still-be-able-to-play-their-xbox-one-games

There's a lot to complain about - they've screwed the PR - but there's a lot of false information out there too.

Atari 2600.

I wish there was a way to figure out how many hours of enjoyment I got out of that damn thing...I still remember the day I got Space Invaders. First time I flipped the score I tried so hard to convey the importance of this milestone to my parents, but they weren't impressed lol.

You mean the same company that, in order to "protect" their music, installed a root kit on everyone's PC?

The entire point I was making was directed at this upcoming generation of video game consoles. If you want, I can type out a laundry list of evil things Microsoft has done over the last 3 decades. But there's no need for that because it's clearly evident which console manufacturer has listened to the masses this time around. In 7 years I have full faith that Sony will screw something up and open the door for someone else.

It's not firmware, it's just software. And Major Nelson actually said they weren't going to leave people high and dry after 10 years:

http://www.neowin.ne...-xbox-one-games

There's a lot to complain about - they've screwed the PR - but there's a lot of false information out there too.

That's hardly a definitive reply from Major Nelson. Do you think when you are old and grey you will be able to dust off your XBone and show your grandchildren what games were like in 2013? I think it would be naive to believe that. You will be lucky if this thing works in 2023.

I agree that there's a lot of conflicting info out there, but ask yourself this - why doesn't Microsoft simply clear up the misinformation with a simple official statement on their website? They can't, because most of this stuff is true - they need some wiggle room to backtrack.

Decided to pre-order a ps4 as well.

I'll wait and see how this plays out in the coming months when more information surfaces on each console.

This has me wondering. How many people wind up buying these things right away? It seems like a bad move to me. Let them iron out the wrinkles in the systems a bit and let the price drop. The game options at the start usually aren't all that great anyway. I held out on the PS3 until the first "absolutely must have" game for me came out (Metal Gear Solid 4).

This has me wondering. How many people wind up buying these things right away? It seems like a bad move to me. Let them iron out the wrinkles in the systems a bit and let the price drop. The game options at the start usually aren't all that great anyway. I held out on the PS3 until the first "absolutely must have" game for me came out (Metal Gear Solid 4).

You got it figured out. After nearly 15 years (almost half my life) in IT/Telecom, I never get pre-orders or first generations of anything anymore. I let other people waste their money being the beta testers for these companies, and then come in months later and get an improved product for a lower price. After fixing issues all day, I want my personal items to "just work".

You got it figured out. After nearly 15 years (almost half my life) in IT/Telecom, I never get pre-orders or first generations of anything anymore. I let other people waste their money being the beta testers for these companies, and then come in months later and get an improved product for a lower price. After fixing issues all day, I want my personal items to "just work".

It's more like atleast a year at a lower price.

I actually had to go out and buy a new PS3 b.v the first gen I bought wouldn't break so I gave up and bought the newer one. So I will buy that first console and have no problems like I have had buying everything else first.

The only thing I regretted missing out on with the PS3 was the backwards compatibility with PS2 games that the very early machines had. Final Fantasy, the Metal Gear games, some of those older games I like to go back to every so often.

And on that note, will any of the old PS-PS2-PS3 games work on the PS4?

The only thing I regretted missing out on with the PS3 was the backwards compatibility with PS2 games that the very early machines had. Final Fantasy, the Metal Gear games, some of those older games I like to go back to every so often.

And on that note, will any of the old PS-PS2-PS3 games work on the PS4?

That's true. In terms of the PS3, every model AFTER the 1st generation was actually a "downgrade". Was the 1st generation the only model that could do 3D as well?

Being an early adopter doesn't bother me as much anymore since it's so easy to update the firmware as they work out the bugs. If I had to take/send the unit somewhere that would be a different story. But to just plug an ethernet cable in and let it do its business isn't a problem at all.

Being an early adopter doesn't bother me as much anymore since it's so easy to update the firmware as they work out the bugs. If I had to take/send the unit somewhere that would be a different story. But to just plug an ethernet cable in and let it do its business isn't a problem at all.

The storage space for the PS3 expanded ridiculously over time. I got mine maybe 2 years after they introduced the system and it was something like 60GB. The drive that spins the CDs failed last year and its wasn't worthwhile to just replace the part, so I got a completely new one. It was about half the price of my first one and has something like 300GB. That's one thing they can't update with a patch. Maybe they do move to more cloud based stuff this time, but there will still be physical changes that will happen with the system. Maybe a new one is backwards compatible, maybe something else very useful.

Your not going to see as many hardware problems or changes to the hardware like we did last gen. In terms of hardware issues disk failures and heat issues will be put to rest because neither console will be running off disks. Used for installation purposes.

Everything this generation will be more about software and the cloud than the actual hardware they are backing. Backwards compatible won't happen down the road. Even if they could do it which I don't think they can with this archeticure. Usally price drops happen years down the road, backwards compatible adds costs to the console. It doesn't make sense for them either way.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever