Larry Felser: Great Archival Video Piece

I hadn't seen this 2001 video of Larry Felser talking about Lou Saban, and giving his picks for the best Bills at each position. I liked it and thought some of you would as well.

This showed up in an email from "Tales From The American Football League," a great site for all things AFL. If you're interested, sign up for the free daily emails.

Here's the link

I hadn't seen this 2001 video of Larry Felser talking about Lou Saban, and giving his picks for the best Bills at each position. I liked it and thought some of you would as well.

This showed up in an email from "Tales From The American Football League," a great site for all things AFL. If you're interested, sign up for the free daily emails.

Here's the link

Thanks for that! I joined up.

It'd be sacrilege to challenge Felser on anything Bills, so I must be wrong. I'd have sworn Saimes was a Strong Safety, pioneering the safety blitz when TE's stayed in. Tommy Yanik was his Safety pairing in the later AFL days and I figured him for the FS. Steve Freeman was very good -at times outstanding, but IMO, Tony Greene and Leonard Smith were better than him, just didn't have the lengthy career Freeman did. I'd also favor Bennett over Talley, but, again, Daryl was here longer..

Anyway, thanks Yungmack!

It'd be sacrilege to challenge Felser on anything Bills, so I must be wrong. I'd have sworn Saimes was a Strong Safety, pioneering the safety blitz when TE's stayed in. Tommy Yanik was his Safety pairing in the later AFL days and I figured him for the FS. Steve Freeman was very good -at times outstanding, but IMO, Tony Greene and Leonard Smith were better than him, just didn't have the lengthy career Freeman did. I'd also favor Bennett over Talley, but, again, Daryl was here longer..

Anyway, thanks Yungmack!

It would be interesting to see the difference between "The Best Bills", and "the most talented"...for example maybe a guy like Jerry Butler might make "all time talent team" at WR with your pick of Bennet at LB and L. Smith at SS...would be an interesting comparison...not to hijack a thread...

I agree...Larry was the best...I could listen to his tales of the early days for hours...

Anyway, thanks Yungmack!

I I thought Bennett was kind of a one trick pony. Pure speed rush. Talley was not as fast or athletically talented but he was a gamer and a big hitter. I think Talley was more consistent and of course he was a Bill for a longer time.

Bennett's speed you allude to is why he was anything BUT 1trick. No one else in the NFL could chase down a Running Back sweeping to the other side of the field and tackle him for a LOSS! The year Conlan was hurt Biscuit unselfishly moved inside and provided most of the seasons' defensive hi-lights, despite getting the hell knocked out of him by opposing OL.

IMO, he was sensational and on his way to a HOF career while playing for the Bills.

Yeah Bennett was an outstanding all-around linebacker, definitely not a one-trick pony.

However I think many people were disappointed that he didn't develop into a more multi-faceted pass rusher considering he had so much natural talent.

After seeing his debut against the Broncos and watching that first season I thought for sure that he'd be a perennial double-digit sack guy.

Bennett was a great player but only a good pass rusher.

Here's the link

A great post, thanks for doing it. Always looked forward to those Larry Felser articles on the Bills in those AFL days.

Anyway, thanks Yungmack!

In those days, there really wasn't much differentiation. Safeties essentially played their designated half of the field. So you had right safeties and left safeties. Saimes played most of his time on the right side of the defense which was typically the weak side of an offense which made him more of a "free" safety with no TE coveragee responsibililty. Collier got a lot out of him and, for my money, Saimes is the best safety the Bills ever had.

Glad to see a mention of Tony Greene, also one of the best at his position the Bills have had. I'll never forget his 108 yard INT return against the 'Phins. Only to have it nullified by a penalty when a flag was thrown AFTER the play was over. Shula had the refs in his pocket.

I'm gonna go puke now.

GO BILLS!!!

Bennett's speed you allude to is why he was anything BUT 1trick. No one else in the NFL could chase down a Running Back sweeping to the other side of the field and tackle him for a LOSS! The year Conlan was hurt Biscuit unselfishly moved inside and provided most of the seasons' defensive hi-lights, despite getting the hell knocked out of him by opposing OL.

IMO, he was sensational and on his way to a HOF career while playing for the Bills.

Sic 'em defense the year Bennett moved inside. Probably his best season as a pro.

I I thought Bennett was kind of a one trick pony. Pure speed rush. Talley was not as fast or athletically talented but he was a gamer and a big hitter. I think Talley was more consistent and of course he was a Bill for a longer time.

Bennett played his best as a 3-4 ILB. He played the run, pass and rushed QB. He didn't want to play the middle but I thought he was at his best there.

Edit: Sorry dhg. Missed your post.

Edited by nucci

Bennett played his best as a 3-4 ILB. He played the run, pass and rushed QB. He didn't want to play the middle but I thought he was at his best there.

Edit: Sorry dhg. Missed your post.

Yep. He may have ended up one of the best to play the MLB position, too. His unique athleticism was perfect for the position. But he was too worried that being designated an MLB vs. a pass-rushing OLB would hurt his payday. Can't say as I blame him, but it was selfish from the standpoint of being a team player. He ended up just another in a long list of FA departures that fizzled on another team.

GO BILLS!!!