[OT] Official 24 thread

Just Jack

Only once in previous seasons has the VP played any kind of role.  He pulled a coup and got a vote of no confidence by the cabinet against President Palmer and took over the government for a short period.  He was later allowed to retire as Palmer's lead Secret Service Agent Aaron helped him regain power.

296179[/snapback]

maybe to help smooth over the anger from the Arab American community the CTU Unit goes on a 24 hour fast each year for one day.....it just so happens to be the day they tape their hour-by-hour actions and create a TV Show.

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No reason to let any facts get in the way of a fictional television show.  The fact that he was able to steal a Priority A resource during a national emergency (NFW that could EVER happen) was obviously just the beginning.

Now we're going to be shown how amazingly stupid our government is because they don't have a backup plan in the event the nuclear "football" is ever compromised.  Yeah, right.  :huh:

295893[/snapback]

The nuclear football thing is too much. So the terrorist plan was to shoot down AF1 over a designated area (somehow) and then recover the nuclear "football" (somehow) assuming it is safely tossed from the plane upon crash landing and not, say, lost in some white-hot inferno that might be created as part of a plane crash or just destroyed. This plan also assumes they'll know where the President will be 14 hours after the start of their plan (in the air, above California) and that they'll be able to have enough men close enough to the crash site that they'll be able to recover the football before anyone else arrives.

HUH?

This also makes their entire plan the following:

Kidnap SOD Heller and televise his execution on the internet to draw attention away from the theft of a nuclear override that will be used to melt down all the nuclear reactors in the United States. While this is going on, a Stealth fighter will be stolen and used to assassinate the President and, in doing so, steal the nuclear "football" so that the terrorists can launch nuclear weapons at the United States or abroad (like the nuclear meltdown thingy from a couple hours ago wasn't enough). That's quite a plan.

This also makes their entire plan the following:

Kidnap SOD Heller and televise his execution on the internet to draw attention away from the theft of a nuclear override that will be used to melt down all the nuclear reactors in the United States.  While this is going on, a Stealth fighter will be stolen and used to assassinate the President and, in doing so, steal the nuclear "football" so that the terrorists can launch nuclear weapons at the United States or abroad (like the nuclear meltdown thingy from a couple hours ago wasn't enough).  That's quite a plan.

296205[/snapback]

The probably got the same people who did such a bang up job on "Desert One." Charlie Beckwith probably ain't too busy giving his recollection of successful "quite public" missions.

I love the fact that the bird was loaded for a mission (not even going into the fact that it had some kind of AA missile capability) and the pilot was able to get in it without any kind of prebrief on what he's carrying, his target package, nor was there any security police presence. Oh, and the on duty maintenance officer actually took the log from a guy he didn't know on one of our most strictly controlled assets (NEVER happen).

But hey, it's a fictional TV show and the ignorant are eating it up. The shark is jumped.

Only once in previous seasons has the VP played any kind of role.  He pulled a coup and got a vote of no confidence by the cabinet against President Palmer and took over the government for a short period.  He was later allowed to retire as Palmer's lead Secret Service Agent Aaron helped him regain power.

296179[/snapback]

So the VP was in Palmer's cabinet? That seems kind of strange considering the different parties...

Is this how they write Palmer back into the show?

So the VP was in Palmer's cabinet? That seems kind of strange considering the different parties...

Is this how they write Palmer back into the show?

296215[/snapback]

Not this VP. Sorry for the confusion.

I have a feeling before this is over Palmer ends up being President.

Not this VP.  Sorry for the confusion.

I have a feeling before this is over Palmer ends up being President.

296226[/snapback]

So basically our government falls apart and we get a dictator, because last time I checked, the line of succession doesn't include ex-presidents unless they somehow work their way into the cabinet or Congress.

Now if the VP turned President than appoints Palmer to Veep and then dies or resigns, then I guess... but that would be unbelievable even for this show. Actually, I'm not sure which scenario is more unbelievable.

Still, Keifer did hint that Palmer might be coming back in some form this season.

So basically our government falls apart and we get a dictator, because last time I checked, the line of succession doesn't include ex-presidents unless they somehow work their way into the cabinet or Congress.

296231[/snapback]

Given the license they've already taken, why not throw out the Constitution too? Our government hasn't had much problem with it lately, save Congressman Paul and a few others.

Forget all that...and think about this.

To get access to the jet, the guy had to use a severed thumb on a thumbplate. So you mean to tell me they have enough security to require a THUMB PRINT, but not enough to keep a camera over the door to spot the guy holding the severed thumb up to the plate... :huh:

Still, I love this show.

296311[/snapback]

Forget that, I want to know how Bauer can still run at a full sprint even though he hasn't haken a dump in almost 96 hours.

Big Twist?  I'm still waiting for it. 

295951[/snapback]

I think the big twist this week was that the episode sucked and they thought they could get away with it because people would be watching basketball.

Next week, Marwan gets ahold of the football and tries to start WWIII, while Jack commandeers a terrorist's motorcycle and has to jump over a shark tank to reach him in time.

The shark is jumped.

296211[/snapback]

:huh: I was wondering if anyone else was having that thought...

One of the flaws I see in this show is their ad-hoc method of developing the plot. We know the writers don't write out the entire season before they start filming and they actually develop the plot as they film each episode, so I think they sometimes "throw together" an episode.

Season 1 was very well-thought out and covered up the holes in the plot. This has regressed over the past 2-3 seasons. While the plots are good, they've gotten worse at leaving the little things unanswered. I don't wonder why a particular character is involved or why someone did something, since I figure it will be explained at some point. That's not necessarily the case this season.

Having said that, yes - a lot of the plot is unrealistic and impossible to believe. But this is television, so I'll enjoy it.

Note from the previews: the VP's chief of staff is "Mike," who had the same job with President Palmer until he participated in the former VP's coup. First Brother Wayne Palmer came into the series in Season #3 as chief of staff to replace Mike, and his take on life and things basically ended up terminating the re-election campaign when President Palmer had to take the bullet and bow out. I see Mike connecting the VP to Palmer as a source of advice, etc., since clearly this VP doesn't have a clue.

(Most Veep's usually are in the dark about policy and details -- that's something The West Wing actually gets right. Cheney is an exception.)

what is there 6 hours left?

all of a sudden they have new characters introduced within the new acting Presidents administration.

When they showed the previews for next week.....was Jack pointing the gun at Michelles boss, Buchanon?

This show is getting more unbelievable each episode. First we are led to believe all nuke plants are connected together, and someone could over ride them and cause a meltdown, now we are told the nuclear football has the same information for the ICBM's and SLBM's. Yeah right.

And we the public are told a small organization like CTU, which only has three (tops) analysts, control all other military organizations who employ hundreds. And of course, they have better graphics and all the codes for the football, military satelite imagery. Bull honkers! CTU can't find its butt with a flashlight and a magnifying glass, and no way possible would they ever be given the combination. As soon as the football is lost or compromised, the codes are invalidated. No freaking civilian is ever going to lay hands on it with the exception of the Commander in Chief PERIOD.

OK, suspension of disbelif is gettin' to me here. This is kinda basic compared to other complaint but here it goes.... Marwan is in a jeep in the middle of the desert, miles from anywhere, there are DOD folks swooping in with enough armourment to take out the other jeep and they somehow can't locate marwan? What did he do turn off his headlights?! "They'll never see me now!". They have satellites that can track a car in the city from block to block, but can't find one vehicle (huge heat signature) driving in the desert. UGG!!!

All right, I had a problem with a couple of things with this episode. Most notably, Jack tells the couple the code to open the briefcase as a way of slowing down the terrorists. However it seems that if he hadn't told them to the code to open the football, the terrorists wouldn't have been able to obtain the codes so quickly in the first place.

Oh well...

Please open the football but don't destroy the contents immediately. I'm now at the point where I watch the show only to laugh at how positively absurd it all is. I knew this episode was going to be ridiculous from the previews. It's going to be next to impossible to top it - though it looks like they're trying by actually moving a nuclear weapon during a national emergency.

The funny thing about the folks here who are b-tching about how unreal the show is now, are still watching the show.

302342[/snapback]

I agree!!! I am made nuts by it at points, but am depressed as hell (slight exageration) that I have to wait a week to see another episode.

We criticize because we love....

All right, I had a problem with a couple of things with this episode. Most notably, Jack tells the couple the code to open the briefcase as a way of slowing down the terrorists. However it seems that if he hadn't told them to the code to open the football, the terrorists wouldn't have been able to obtain the codes so quickly in the first place.

Oh well...

302340[/snapback]

I agree, the smart thing to do would have been to disable the locator beacon, carry the thing 500 yards in any direction and then bury it under a pile of rocks.

Last nights episode was really testing my suspendion of disbelief.

GO BILLS 2005!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!