Who will be D.C.next season?

seadog

It looks like Grey will be gone. He is generating an awful lot of attention and is a hot minority prospect. Personally i would love to lose him S.U., It would do wonders for their recriuting and they would be the defensive juggerknot of the Big East. I don't see anybody on the current staff to replace him, and with all the Pittsburgh ties on the staff is their any Steeler defensive personel coming to town?

At first I thought it might be Jim Bates, but then I learned that Leslie Frazer (fired by the Bengals) studied under Buddy Ryan and is familiar with the 4-6. In fact, the reason that he was fired was that he wanted to blitz more than Marvin Lewis did - in other words, he's probably suited to the scheme we've been running. I'd expect the job to go to him if Gray leaves.

All the discussion is for naught as Syracuse looks elsewhere. I did mention on another thread that I think the natural successor to Gray is linebackers coach, Don Blackmon who is well respected by his players, has ample experience as a position coach, has worked with coaching greats like Bill Belichick and has had a stint as a DC with the Atlanta Falcons under Dan Reeves.

All the discussion is for naught as Syracuse looks elsewhere.  I did mention on another thread that I think the natural successor to Gray is linebackers coach, Don Blackmon who is well respected by his players, has ample experience as a position coach, has worked with coaching greats like Bill Belichick and has had a stint as a DC with the Atlanta Falcons under Dan Reeves.

201058[/snapback]

Was Blackmon any good as a DC in Atlanta?

According to the linked article, Blackmon's defense was horrible. I suspect Gray will be here next year but if the defense again ranks in the top 5, he could very well be a head coach in 2005.

Under Blackmon, the Falcons ranked last in the NFL in pass defense (243.9 yards), yards per play (6.1) and third-down efficiency (46.3 percent). Their run defense was the NFL's second-worst (121.4). Atlanta finished 7-9.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/ATL/4907295

Yeah, Blackmon wasn't a good DC.  He might have learned something since then, but I feel much better knowing Gray is going to be back.

202421[/snapback]

Hopefully.

Don't count your chickens 'till they're hatched.

Even though I tried to get Dick LeBeau to stay here last year, I was more than happy that Jerry agreed to stay. Although we love him here, we won't stand in the way of bigger opportunities for him. If he does end up leaving, I do not have a set replacement in mind. Certainly present members of the coaching staff will get a look and a fair one, but they know that we're going to bring the best coach in for the job period. There will be no favoritism, only fairness. I think my staff understands that and respects that.

MM over and out.

202451[/snapback]

:I starred in Brokeback Mountain: