Podcasts - Who Loves 'Em?

ajzepp

I've known about podcasts for a while, but it's only been the last few months where I really began to spend a lot of time listening to them on a regular basis. I know that many of us are listening to John Murphy's show via his podcast, but I've found some others that I really enjoy, too. I wanted to share with you guys what I've been listening to and hopefully others will chime in with their favorites, as well.

1) Adam Carolla Show / The Adam and Dr. Drew Show - I have to give TBD'ers credit for this one, cause I heard about it when someone else on here mentioned in a while back. Adam Carolla is one of the most interesting people on earth, IMO, and he's always got fresh and interesting conversation going on. Not long ago he rekindled his show with Dr. Drew and for anyone who enjoyed their radio and tv show, Love Line, back in the 90s, it's a lot of fun to hear them together again.

2) The Rich Eisen Podcast - One of my pet peeves with sports these days is how much PC crap is spewed whenever someone is being interviewed. I took a lot of flak from folks on here when I said that a guy like Rex Ryan is great for the league. I think it's GREAT to have someone who just speaks his mind, cause having to hear everyone just blow sunshine up the other teams arse before a big game or going on in the post game about how they need to execute better or work harder on this or that is just mind numbing. Im not saying it needs to be the WWE, but fux sake, a little trash talking and gamesmanship from time to time shouldn't be so taboo! That being said, I was very pleasantly surprised to hear how candid Rich Eisen is on his show...it's very refreshing and the guy has some really fun and interesting opinions. He's not afraid to speak openly about his views and he has no problem asking the tough questions of his guests. Some of the casts before and after the draft were really great listens. This is easily one of my new favorites.

3) Doug Loves Movies - One of my favorite comedians these days is Doug Benson. He has a couple of fun shows, and this one is centered on his love of movies.

4) Rob Has a Podcast - Those of you who hate reality tv can skip to "5" lol. Rob Cesternino is a former contestant on Survivor and Survivor All-Stars. He loves the show still, along with several other of the more popular reality shows, too. He casts about three times a week and often has a live show right after Survivor episodes on Wednesday (and on Sunday this week since it's the finale). Celebrity Apprentice and Big Brother are two other shows that he's really into. He's a bit long winded, but the discussion is fun.

5) The Thundering Herd - I enjoy the fact that Colin Cowherd often brings a more cerebral approach to the discussion of sports, even though it's pretty clear that he lacks true passion for any particular team that so many real sports fans possess. He often has some interesting takes from a different perspective, and he's adept at really asking some tough questions of his guests. One of the most interesting interviews I heard was when he had David Stern on the show. I'm not much of an NBA guy, but Colin went right at him and it got pretty heated there for a bit. His podcast is sort of a more condensed version of his radio show.

6) Handel on the Law - The guy is an abrupt jerk much of the time, but he's very sharp and very interesting. He typically treats people quite rudely, but you can't argue with the fact that he gets a lot accomplished during the course of his show. I've always been fascinated by the law and the legal system, so even though I have to take him in small doses, he has a great show.

So that's my list for now...I have a few others I've subscribed to but haven't had time to listen to yet...would love to hear what you guys are listening to!

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I totally love podcasts. I listen to as little live radio as possible now..........I can't stand call in shows. I do like Schopp and the Bulldog when they are goofing around (ten opinions), talking about music, etc. , but three hours of people calling about who we should trade makes my skin crawl.

My top three are:

Tony Kornheiser Show - the absolute best for almost two hours of a mix of sports, politics, sports culture, and Mr. Tony's life!.......The best guests - for all those things. Never will interview an athlete or take a call because it's too boring. Instead he always has two smart and funny sidekicks that rotate, and his producer, who is as funny as Greg Bauch.

Adam Carolla Podcast - when they are rolling, it makes me laugh even more than Mr. Tony. But, unfortunately, Adam has been telling the same stories over and over lately..........And, I had super high hopes for the one with him and Dr. Drew, like you say, but it's nowhere close to Loveline, which was sublime (just listen to segments on youtube). They just keep talking about the old days and telling the same old stories. He constantly tweets, taking calls, for both shows................If they actually did take calls most of the time, they really get on rolls and funny stories...........I actually like the Dr. Drew by himself podcast better now. He's usually talking about something interesting.

Norm MacDonald Live - it's only about 7-8 episodes in. He does it live on youtube at 6PM on Mondays, but then it gets into podcast form shortly after............I never knew how funny Norm is (he's so deadpan) but go to youtube and google Norm and Adam Carolla. He was on Adam's radio show several times, and he's also been on the podcast. But, the radio interviews, had me dying laughing, and I couldn't get enough Norm.........So, now he's got his own podcast, and he's had one funny guest after another. Believe it or not, Larry King was great on it.

I totally love podcasts. I listen to as little live radio as possible now..........I can't stand call in shows. I do like Schopp and the Bulldog when they are goofing around (ten opinions), talking about music, etc. , but three hours of people calling about who we should trade makes my skin crawl.

My top three are:

Tony Kornheiser Show - the absolute best for almost two hours of a mix of sports, politics, sports culture, and Mr. Tony's life!.......The best guests - for all those things. Never will interview an athlete or take a call because it's too boring. Instead he always has two smart and funny sidekicks that rotate, and his producer, who is as funny as Greg Bauch.

Adam Carolla Podcast - when they are rolling, it makes me laugh even more than Mr. Tony. But, unfortunately, Adam has been telling the same stories over and over lately..........And, I had super high hopes for the one with him and Dr. Drew, like you say, but it's nowhere close to Loveline, which was sublime (just listen to segments on youtube). They just keep talking about the old days and telling the same old stories. He constantly tweets, taking calls, for both shows................If they actually did take calls most of the time, they really get on rolls and funny stories...........I actually like the Dr. Drew by himself podcast better now. He's usually talking about something interesting.

Norm MacDonald Live - it's only about 7-8 episodes in. He does it live on youtube at 6PM on Mondays, but then it gets into podcast form shortly after............I never knew how funny Norm is (he's so deadpan) but go to youtube and google Norm and Adam Carolla. He was on Adam's radio show several times, and he's also been on the podcast. But, the radio interviews, had me dying laughing, and I couldn't get enough Norm.........So, now he's got his own podcast, and he's had one funny guest after another. Believe it or not, Larry King was great on it.

Nice, I like both Norm and Tony K, but had no idea they had podcasts...I'm goign to add those as soon as I type this. I also didn't know Drew had his own cast...lol

I have always enjoyed talk radio, but DANG, sometimes the commercials just are ridiculous...I lose interest cause it feels like it's almost 50/50 ads to content. Not that I usually have any pressing matters, but it makes me feel like I'm wasting my time. That's partly why podcasts have really caught my attention...there's much more meat on the bone and I love the fact that it seems as though so many of my favorite people have casts.

I'm sort of surprised that I dont hear more people talking about these things, to be honest....that's partly why I wanted to start a thread and see who else out there was tuning in.

Can't wait to hear Norm's show!

EDIT: Just added all three...man, I LOVE this little collection of podcasts I've subscribed to...this is really a blast!

Edited by ajzepp

As a full time landscaper I listen to podcasts 5-8 hours a day...radio is obsolete for me. I'll list a few I enjoy

The BS report...bill Simmons. The basketball jones (best of the best, if you like nba very funny). Bill burrs mmp. John Murphy show

Dan carlins hardcore history. Petros and money show mohr stories w jay mohr.

Bill burrs Monday morning podcast after a few listens will shoot up your charts IMO zepp..check it out

Edited by Ryan L Billz

As a full time landscaper I listen to podcasts 5-8 hours a day...radio is obsolete for me. I'll list a few I enjoy

The BS report...bill Simmons. The basketball jones (best of the best, if you like nba very funny). Bill burrs mmp. John Murphy show

Dan carlins hardcore history. Petros and money show mohr stories w jay mohr.

Bill burrs Monday morning podcast after a few listens will shoot up your charts IMO zepp..check it out

Perfect, I've been looking for a good stand-up related cast...I'll check Burr out for sure

i consider myself fairly tech savvy but have never been able to get the whole podcast thing...do you need an application to listen to them? are they strictly on itunes? i listen to sirius howard stern pretty much all day at work and when the live show goes off i go to stern shuffle so i guess those are pod casts but i am getting the same main characters, would like to check out others to see if it something worth investing time in

Perfect, I've been looking for a good stand-up related cast...I'll check Burr out for sure

There's a ton of standup podcasts......Tom segura, Joey Diaz, joe rogan, ari shaffir all have decent podcasts..

Pooj if you have an IPhone there's a podcast app and you just choose whatever you like and subscribe most are free....can use search or just go through topics or top 100 to find what interests you.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

i'm a droid guy...got the g-nex

There's a ton of standup podcasts......Tom segura, Joey Diaz, joe rogan, ari shaffir all have decent podcasts..

Pooj if you have an IPhone there's a podcast app and you just choose whatever you like and subscribe most are free....can use search or just go through topics or top 100 to find what interests you.

i consider myself fairly tech savvy but have never been able to get the whole podcast thing...do you need an application to listen to them? are they strictly on itunes? i listen to sirius howard stern pretty much all day at work and when the live show goes off i go to stern shuffle so i guess those are pod casts but i am getting the same main characters, would like to check out others to see if it something worth investing time in

That's pretty much the same situation I was in, actually. I use my TuneIn radio app for several of them, but the iTunes podcast app and the AppleTV podcast channel is like a frickin goldmine. I'm shocked at how much content there is available, and that's when I started really getting interested in these. There must be an equivalent app on android, though...these podcasts aren't specific to apple as far as I know.

You being such a huge music guy and into the local Philly scene, I would bet there are lots of great casts about that very topic...this is like an entire world of entertainment and discussion that I never knew existed.

If you, or anyone else reading, find the best apps for droid, please post them since Im sure others would benefit from that. I'd also like to add them on my Kindle Fire, so any good podcast apps for that device would be most appreciated.

EDIT: Looks like "beyondPod" and "pocketCasts" are two of the most popular android apps...I'm sure there are others

how is the Rogan podcast? I've come across his several times in the last few days but haven't given a listen yet.

Edited by ajzepp

That's pretty much the same situation I was in, actually. I use my TuneIn radio app for several of them, but the iTunes podcast app and the AppleTV podcast channel is like a frickin goldmine. I'm shocked at how much content there is available, and that's when I started really getting interested in these. There must be an equivalent app on android, though...these podcasts aren't specific to apple as far as I know.

You being such a huge music guy and into the local Philly scene, I would bet there are lots of great casts about that very topic...this is like an entire world of entertainment and discussion that I never knew existed.

If you, or anyone else reading, find the best apps for droid, please post them since Im sure others would benefit from that. I'd also like to add them on my Kindle Fire, so any good podcast apps for that device would be most appreciated.

EDIT: Looks like "beyondPod" and "pocketCasts" are two of the most popular android apps...I'm sure there are others

how is the Rogan podcast? I've come across his several times in the last few days but haven't given a listen yet.

Rogans podcast is decent...depends on the weekly guest...ton of comedians, ton of MMA fighters (I skip those), tons of brainy types....writers/scientists

Nice, I like both Norm and Tony K, but had no idea they had podcasts...I'm goign to add those as soon as I type this. I also didn't know Drew had his own cast...lol

I have always enjoyed talk radio, but DANG, sometimes the commercials just are ridiculous...I lose interest cause it feels like it's almost 50/50 ads to content. Not that I usually have any pressing matters, but it makes me feel like I'm wasting my time. That's partly why podcasts have really caught my attention...there's much more meat on the bone and I love the fact that it seems as though so many of my favorite people have casts.

I'm sort of surprised that I dont hear more people talking about these things, to be honest....that's partly why I wanted to start a thread and see who else out there was tuning in.

Can't wait to hear Norm's show!

EDIT: Just added all three...man, I LOVE this little collection of podcasts I've subscribed to...this is really a blast!

That's exactly it. The commercials on talk radio take up so much time per hour. With podcasts, it's straight content...........And, the ability to listen when you can, not when they happen to be on.

If you have any questions on who's who on Tony's podcast, let me know.

You can listen to them all kinds of ways. Like for Adam Carolla, you can go to his website and just hit play on the player..........as mentioned, you can use tunein. etc..............My favorite way is through itunes, since when I stop the show, and then go back to it, and starts up where I left off. Some of the others probably work that way, too.........Somehow, for the Carolla podcast, I can listen to it on my phone and then go to itunes on my computer, and it knows where I left off! It seems like some of the other podcasts don't do that, though.

I have tried This American Life a few times, because it gets such rave reviews, and it just bores me..............I guess I'm just not an NPR person (although I will listen to the podcast of On Point about once a week or so...........I need banter, I think.

BBB and Ryan: You guys called it with Norm and Bill Burr...those were both GREAT! I can't believe how quick witted Norm is...he definitely has my sense of humor. He's already had me laughing aloud a few times and I've only listened to the Larry King one and the Kevin Nealon one. Bill Burr is someone I had heard OF, but never seen his show or heard his cast...I've only listened to last week's Monday Morning podcast, but it was a winner for sure.

Really lovin' this...wish there was more time in the day to listen, though! I'm just glad that if I don't catch John Murphy on the way home from work, I can get it knocked out in about 75 min on the podcast since it's stripped down to take out the commercials. Who needs tv when you have this great entertainment!

Listen a lot. Here's my favorites,

This American life

Ted talks

Motley fool money

Frontline

Story corps

Can you talk a bit about each one and why you like it? I have so many on my list right now I'd love to pick your brain a bit more to get a feel for what each is all about

Podcasts really are a game changer, aren't they. I discovered them in 2009..........I have laughed out loud a number of times at Norm with my earphones on doing work around the house. He definitely is in my wheelhouse, too.

Another one that I occasionally listen to is Bill Simmons. Most of the time I don't because most of them are about the NBA or reality TV, which I'm not all that interested in.........But, when he's on Carolla or Carolla is on his, it's gold. They are buddies from both writing for Jimmy Kimmel.............And, then once in a while he has Chuck Klosterman, Malcolm Gladwell or some other really interesting people on.

DEFINITELY a game changer...that's a good term to use. Often times once I'm wound down and ready to chill out before bed, I dont really have the time to invest in a movie and it's hard to find anything of interest on tv. Now it doesn't even matter, cause I can turn out the lights, put on my favorite headphones (Beyerdynamic T1s), and enjoy a podcast before I doze off.

Truly, I can't understand why these aren't more popular...so much to enjoy!! Also, I admit I'm a little biased toward Apple since I've had such great results with their products, but the podcast channel on AppleTV and the app on my iPhone just make it super easy to find stuff.

Oh, another one I found that is pretty good is the Ross Tucker NFL cast...apparently it's a pretty popular show, and I like it cause it's pretty short (about 30 min) and you get a lot of interesting talk in a short amount of time. These NFL-related shows were fantastic around the draft time, so I can't wait to hear some of the discussions as we get closer to training camp and the start of the season.

Oh wow, I just found a goldmine...I thought I'd see if they had anything related to my profession as an RN and I came across some pretty amazing ones. Then I found this webpage which has all sorts of other medical shows...this is amazing!!

http://www.nursingschools.net/blog/2011/02/50-awesomely-educational-podcasts-for-nurses/

DEFINITELY a game changer...that's a good term to use. Often times once I'm wound down and ready to chill out before bed, I dont really have the time to invest in a movie and it's hard to find anything of interest on tv. Now it doesn't even matter, cause I can turn out the lights, put on my favorite headphones (Beyerdynamic T1s), and enjoy a podcast before I doze off.

Truly, I can't understand why these aren't more popular...so much to enjoy!! Also, I admit I'm a little biased toward Apple since I've had such great results with their products, but the podcast channel on AppleTV and the app on my iPhone just make it super easy to find stuff.

I have tried to tell my friends to listen to the ones I know they would love and they never do. They've said they just want to turn it on with no work..........It's not like it's that hard, but it does take that one step that I took in 2009 and you are now that Oh, this is easy and great!

Carolla and Simmons were talking about that and Simmons said when it becomes something that you just hit on your car radio, that's when they will really become popular.

I have tried to tell my friends to listen to the ones I know they would love and they never do. They've said they just want to turn it on with no work..........It's not like it's that hard, but it does take that one step that I took in 2009 and you are now that Oh, this is easy and great!

Carolla and Simmons were talking about that and Simmons said when it becomes something that you just hit on your car radio, that's when they will really become popular.

I can probably see some of my friends saying that exact same thing...and Simmons makes a great point that I completely agree with. I have an older car that I'm still running into the ground before I replace it, so I just click on John's show on my iphone as I'm driving home and I listen with my open backed headphones so I can still hear everything goign on around me. I can't speak for android, but once you have all your shows added to the apple app, like you said, it's super easy to listen to...doesn't take any work at all other than clicking on the episode you want to listen to. I really hope this format continues to grow in popularity, cause I can see myself enjoying these for a long time to come. Im noticing that a LOT of colleges and universities are usign podcasts, which is a great tool for them to use. I wish I had that when I was in school!

Edited by ajzepp

Yeah, I wish I could have been listening to Adam Carolla instead of those boring professors! :lol:

lol, I know that's right

I mainly check out Bill Burr's MMP.

I check out Rogan solely based on the guest because Rogan is nitwit and Redban is makes Rogan look like Michio Kaku. Basically I'm tuning in to hear Burr, Bourdain, Shane Smith, Les Stroud, and Patrice before he kicked the family sized bucket.

I mainly check out Bill Burr's MMP.

I check out Rogan solely based on the guest because Rogan is nitwit and Redban is makes Rogan look like Michio Kaku. Basically I'm tuning in to hear Burr, Bourdain, Shane Smith, Les Stroud, and Patrice before he kicked the family sized bucket.

I had never heard of Patrice O'Neal prior to his appearance at a roast a while back...then I heard his stand-up routine and felt he was one of the best comics I'd ever heard. Hate the fact that both he and Greg Giraldo passed...two of the best talents on the scene, IMO.

I was on Carolla from the beginning. I had been listening to his LA radio show on the net and when that was cancelled, he immediately started the podcast. With Alison Rosen taking over for Theresa Strasser, it's really like the old radio show. Bald Bryan's sound drops are money. He can get repetitive but his points are often valid. He needs to remember to let the guest talk.

Other comedy podcasts I like are Jay Mohr, Marc Maron & Greg Fitzsimmons.

You are dead on in your assessment. I liked T a lot and I think Alison is very quick witted............Bryan's drops are great - sometimes amazing the guests at how he did that. Isaac Hayes and Eliot Gould are probably the two best.

I wish Alison would steer Adam away from repeating the same things over and over. T was better at improv and at keeping the conversation moving along.

I was on Carolla from the beginning. I had been listening to his LA radio show on the net and when that was cancelled, he immediately started the podcast. With Alison Rosen taking over for Theresa Strasser, it's really like the old radio show. Bald Bryan's sound drops are money. He can get repetitive but his points are often valid. He needs to remember to let the guest talk.

Other comedy podcasts I like are Jay Mohr, Marc Maron & Greg Fitzsimmons.

How is the Marc Maron one? I have that one on my list but haven't listened yet. His called "WTF" or something like that, right?

I like to listen to them at work a lot and am always digging for new ones to try out so I will give some of these suggestions a go that I haven't already tried.

Recently I have discovered The Nerdist with Chris Hardwick. They mostly talk pop culture stuff leaning towards the more sci-fi or comic book type stuff. However they have had a long run and boast a solid history or a-list celebrity guests so if you check it out make sure to look at all the old ones going back a few years. Just to name a few that I have listened to recently... Mick Foley, Tom Hanks, Bryan Cranston, John Hamm, Tina Fey, Zach Galifinakis, Stan Lee, JJ Abrhams, Steve Carell.... and a whole lot more.

Some of these interviews were kind of older so the context when they talk about recent work is a little off, but still very enjoyable if you are into popular movies and tv shows.

I like to listen to them at work a lot and am always digging for new ones to try out so I will give some of these suggestions a go that I haven't already tried.

Recently I have discovered The Nerdist with Chris Hardwick. They mostly talk pop culture stuff leaning towards the more sci-fi or comic book type stuff. However they have had a long run and boast a solid history or a-list celebrity guests so if you check it out make sure to look at all the old ones going back a few years. Just to name a few that I have listened to recently... Mick Foley, Tom Hanks, Bryan Cranston, John Hamm, Tina Fey, Zach Galifinakis, Stan Lee, JJ Abrhams, Steve Carell.... and a whole lot more.

Some of these interviews were kind of older so the context when they talk about recent work is a little off, but still very enjoyable if you are into popular movies and tv shows.

That's another one that I saw listed as one of the most popular casts (per iTunes), but I wasn't sure what it was about. I like Hardwick on the Talking Dead, the show he hosts after the Walking Dead episodes each week. I'll definitely check that one out...sounds like it's something I'd enjoy.

Glad to know at least some other TBD'ers are listening to these things...I love that some of these guys even do casts from their apartments or houses lol...it must be a super inexpensive way to have a show.

How is the Marc Maron one? I have that one on my list but haven't listened yet. His called "WTF" or something like that, right?

I listened to it last week. It was a one on one interview with Alison Brie, who I think is super hot. So, it was interesting to find out that Mad Men was actually her big break and Community came after that.........And, that she walked around nude in college (which actually I read before, but it was good to hear her tell the stories)

I listened to it last week. It was a one on one interview with Alison Brie, who I think is super hot. So, it was interesting to find out that Mad Men was actually her big break and Community came after that.........And, that she walked around nude in college (which actually I read before, but it was good to hear her tell the stories)

lol, nice!

Adam Carolla

Adam And Dr Drew

Ace On The House (hilarious show with his childhood buddy Ray talking house repairs)

Android Central

Maximum PC No BS Podcast

ESPN Fantasy Focus (NFL. Pretty funny at times. Favorite football podcast)

CBS Fantasy Football Today

Dave Damashek Football Program(also funny)

Leo Laporte: The Tech Guy

The Anfield Wrap.(Liverpool soccer show. Kinda neat to listen to local Liverpool guys whine about their team. Hard to understand at times though. Real thick accents. Also they manage to work in some real good music from Liverpool bands.)

Also my favorite app for listening to podcasts is called "Pocket Casts" Really great UI and simple to use. Easy to sort video and audio casts. Very nice.

Edited by Dante

LOL, I bet the Liverpool one is interesting as hell...I never even thought about looking for a cast like that...great suggestion!

It's mostly good. Maron was pretty much a very mean guy when he was a young comic. He's a 12-stepper, so he been trying to apologize for being like that for years. The show is a lot of comics and it's usually pretty good. The best ones that come to mind are Russell, Steven Wright & Aubrey Plaza (she tells about having a stroke when she in college).

I like "Making It with Riki Lindhome" on the Nerdist network but I'm biased because she's from Portville.

It's mostly good. Maron was pretty much a very mean guy when he was a young comic. He's a 12-stepper, so he been trying to apologize for being like that for years. The show is a lot of comics and it's usually pretty good. The best ones that come to mind are Russell, Steven Wright & Aubrey Plaza (she tells about having a stroke when she in college).

I like "Making It with Riki Lindhome" on the Nerdist network but I'm biased because she's from Portville.

Very cool, thanks man...I love the art of stand-up, so will fire him up tomorrow on my day off.

On the drive home tonight I was listening to the Stone Cold Steve Austin podcast where he interviews Kevin Nash. I've always been a fan of wrestling, and these days I continue to watch mainly because I'm fascinated by the business and I love seeing how they get guys "over". This show was HILARIOUS! Steve is dropping f-bombs and swear words every other sentence, and listening to him read his advertisements is pretty funny as well. It's a pretty hardcore look into the wrestling business...no character crap or story lines. I love hearing about this stuff and I can see this one becoming a favorite of mine for sure. Anyone who has ever had interest in wrestling should give a listen!

Adam Carolla

Adam And Dr Drew

Ace On The House (hilarious show with his childhood buddy Ray talking house repairs)

Android Central

Maximum PC No BS Podcast

ESPN Fantasy Focus (NFL. Pretty funny at times. Favorite football podcast)

CBS Fantasy Football Today

Dave Damashek Football Program(also funny)

Leo Laporte: The Tech Guy

The Anfield Wrap.(Liverpool soccer show. Kinda neat to listen to local Liverpool guys whine about their team. Hard to understand at times though. Real thick accents. Also they manage to work in some real good music from Liverpool bands.)

Also my favorite app for listening to podcasts is called "Pocket Casts" Really great UI and simple to use. Easy to sort video and audio casts. Very nice.

How does that work? Are they downloaded or streaming?.............I used to like listening to them in itunes on my iphone and it was easy to figure out.........Then, I got a new phone and the apple guy downloaded the apple podcast app, and I don't like it as much. I can't figure out to download some podcasts on it.

How does that work? Are they downloaded or streaming?.............I used to like listening to them in itunes on my iphone and it was easy to figure out.........Then, I got a new phone and the apple guy downloaded the apple podcast app, and I don't like it as much. I can't figure out to download some podcasts on it.

I use my phone for podcasts. But you could use a tablet as well. Install the app and then you just use the search function to find what ones you want. You then can subscribe to them and they will be automatically be downloaded or listed for you to stream if you want. In the morning I stream with my phone and use a neat little blue tooth speaker I have to listen while I get ready.