"Mistakes Were Made"

Didn't you hear? It's Bush's fault. He appointed the IRS Commissioner that okay'd this, specifically to make the Democrats look bad. [/slate]

Indeed.

I wouldn't even be surprised if this was the spin on MSNBC right now. I told my father in law last time I was at his house that I now realize why he watches that channel. For the comedy. He was offended...

As a follow -up to post #75 and the many "non-standard" questions th IRS asked. Politico comments on the same thing.

The IRS wants YOU — to share everything

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2013/05/the-irs-wants-you-to-share-everything-91378.html#ixzz2TN8WsESU

ABC story;Weirdest IRS Questions for the Tea Party: Views, Donors, and Etymology

http://abcnews.go.co...-and-etymology/

As a follow -up to post #75 and the many "non-standard" questions th IRS asked. Politico comments on the same thing.

The IRS wants YOU — to share everything

Read more: http://www.politico....l#ixzz2TN8WsESU

ABC story;Weirdest IRS Questions for the Tea Party: Views, Donors, and Etymology

http://abcnews.go.co...-and-etymology/

Oh, leave them alone. They're just trying to make sure the Koch brothers pay their "fair share".

[/size]

If I were Obama, I'd take swift action. And by swift action, I mean, I'd do what he does whenever there's a problem; play some golf and attend a fundraiser.

that's not a bad idea.....it's harder to get into trouble when things go wrong at the office if you're never there.

“The administration is blaming this on low-level bureaucrats in Cincinnati and that turned out not to be true. We know people at the [iRS central headquarters] in Washington were involved. But we are missing something else. Remember, they were doing what people on Capitol Hill wanted them to do,” Rove said on Fox News on Tuesday.

Rove said that Sens. Max Baucus (D-Mont.), Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.), Al Franken (D-Minn.), Jeff Merkley (D-Ore.), Jeanne Shaheen (D-N.H.), Tom Udall (D-N.M.), Michael Bennet (D-Colo.), Carl Levin (D-Mich.) and Sheldon Whitehouse (D-R.I.) all deserve scrutiny for signing a letter that urged the IRS to bolster their scrutiny of certain “political” groups, as ABC News noted on Tuesday.

“In 2010, [senate Finance Committee Chairman] Max Baucus… wrote a letter to the director of the IRS saying,’Go investigate these kinds of groups.’ We had Chuck Schumer, who has been stirring this around for a number of years, by 2012 he goes out and gives a similar tough letter to the head of the IRS saying, ‘Look at these groups,’ and [he] gets six others to sign the letter,” Rove said, naming the senators above that signed the letter.

Rove continued: “Maybe the low-level bureaucrats aren’t so low level and maybe they were influenced by Democrats in the Congress saying take on these groups or else you will face the consequences in front of us.”

Karl Rove makes a good point, and maybe it doesn't go as high as he suggests, but you could imagine that some IRS liberal workers taking this as a suggestion and green light to further scrutinize these groups.

Edited by Magox

This should go over well....

http://www.healthcar...-health-records

The Internal Revenue Service is now facing a class action lawsuit over allegations that it improperly accessed and stole the health records of some 10 million Americans, including medical records of all California state judges.

According to a report by Courthousenews.com, an unnamed HIPAA-covered entity in California is suing the IRS, alleging that some 60 million medical records from 10 million patients were stolen by 15 IRS agents. The personal health information seized on March 11, 2011, included psychological counseling, gynecological counseling, sexual/drug treatment and other medical treatment data.

"This is an action involving the corruption and abuse of power by several Internal Revenue Service agents," the complaint reads. "No search warrant authorized the seizure of these records; no subpoena authorized the seizure of these records; none of the 10,000,000 Americans were under any kind of known criminal or civil investigation and their medical records had no relevance whatsoever to the IRS search. IT personnel at the scene, a HIPPA facility warning on the building and the IT portion of the searched premises, and the company executives each warned the IRS agents of these privileged records," it continued.

According to the case, the IRS agents had a search warrant for financial data pertaining to a former employee of the John Doe company, however, "it did not authorize any seizure of any healthcare or medical record of any persons, least of all third parties completely unrelated to the matter," the complaint read.

The class action lawsuit against the IRS seeks $25,000 in compensatory damages "per violation per individual" in addition to punitive damages for constitutional violations. Thus, compensatory damages could start at a minimum of $250 billion.

Read more: http://www.politico....l#ixzz2TNgoh0Ms

Karl Rove makes a good point, and maybe it doesn't go as high as he suggests, but you could imagine that some IRS liberal workers taking this as a suggestion and green light to further scrutinize these groups.

Quite possible. Generally, the GS- and SES-level bureaucrats are more afraid of Congress than they are the President. A congressional "suggestion" or "question" would carry a lot of weight.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/05/14/Obama-campaign-co-chair-attacked-Romney-conservative-group-in-2012-with-leaked-IRS-scandal-documents

NOM, a pro-traditional marriage organization, claims the IRS leaked their 2008 confidential financial documents to the rival Human Rights Campaign. Those NOM documents were published on the Huffington Post on March 30, 2012. At that time, Joe Solmonese, a left-wing activist and Huffington Post contributor, was the president of the Human Rights Campaign (HRC). Solmonese was also a 2012 Obama campaign co-chairman.

Both the Huffington Post's Sam Stein and HRC described the leak as coming from a “whistleblower.” The Huffington Post used the document to write a story questioning former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney’s support for traditional marriage. The document showed Romney donated $10,000 to NOM. HRC went a step further than the Huffington Post in its criticism of Romney and accused him of using “racially divisive tactics” in a press release.

Edited by 3rdnlng

Interesting (historical) take:

Will no one rid me of this turbulent group?

In June of 1170, the Archbishop of York and the Bishops of London and Salisbury crowned Henry II of England. The Archbishop of Canterbury, Thomas Beckett, should have had the privilege, but he and King Henry had been warring over the powers of clergy in England.

Beckett proceeded to excommunicate the bishops and other opponents of the Catholic Church in England.

According to tradition, Henry II, away in Normandy, upon hearing the news asked, “Will no one rid me of this turbulent priest?” According to some, including Edward Grim who wrote during the time of Henry II, what Henry actually said was, “What miserable drones and traitors have I nourished and brought up in my household, who let their lord be treated with such shameful contempt by a low-born cleric?” But the former is what has taken hold in common history.

Regardless of which of the two statements Henry II made, neither of them asked anyone to go kill the Archbishop of Canterbury. Nonetheless, on December 29, 1170, four knights confronted Thomas Beckett inside Canterbury Cathedral as Beckett headed to vespers. They cut off the top of his head and began stabbing him, leaving him to die, and smearing Beckett’s brain matter on the floor of Canterbury Cathedral.

Four years later, Henry II performed public penance in front of Becket’s tomb. None of Becket’s assassins were ever punished by the king.

Like Henry II, Barack Obama never specifically asked that tea party groups and conservative be targeted. But by both his language and the “always campaigning” attitude of his White House, he certainly sent clear signals to Democrats with the power and ability to fight conservatives to engage as they could. Given his rhetoric against his political opponents, it is no wonder sympathetic Democrats in the Internal Revenue Service harassed and stymied conservative groups and, though little mentioned, pro-Israel Jewish groups and evangelical groups.

During Campaign 2008, Barack Obama famously told Democrats to take guns to knife fights.

He told a crowd of supporters to “

.” By the way,
to hear Barack Obama say he will lower taxes and support the second amendment.

In 2009, the White House created an email address flag@whitehouse.gov and encouraged people to report their neighbors who might disagree with Obamacare. The DNC admitted the White House was engaged in collecting information on people.

During August recesses in 2009, the Obama Adminstration told Democrats in Congress to “punch back twice as hard” at Republicans.

In 2011, the Obama White House set up a ridiculous website called Attack Watch to document and expose those hostile to them.

As I wrote in 2009, the Obama team brought back the politics of personal destruction. I noted then a Politico story that reported

The vast new left-wing conspiracy sets its tone every morning at 8:45 a.m., when officials from more than 20 labor, environmental and other Democratic-leaning groups dial into a private conference call hosted by two left-leaning Washington organizations.

In 2012, the White House directly coordinated with outside groups to influence the Supreme Court’s Obamacare decision. About the time these meetings with “dozens of leaders of nonprofit organizations” were happening in the White House, tea party groups were suddenly getting inquiries from the IRS, bogging them down and distracting them from the fight at hand.

President Obama did not have to tell the IRS specifically to harass conservative, evangelical, and Jewish groups who might oppose him. His rhetoric on the campaign trail and in the permanent campaign of the White House operations made clear what he wanted. IRS agents not only harassed conservative groups, evangelical groups, and Jewish groups, but also leaked their confidential tax information to left-leaning groups. The National Organization for Marriage and other groups had their donor lists leaked subjecting those donors to harassment. A Romney donor was harassed by the IRS. More than one person has emailed me to say that after they reported themselves to flag@whitehouse.gov they were audited by the IRS — in one case audited several times about just one tax year.

Obama went on the campaign trail in 2010 and told supporters topunish our enemies.” The IRS did just that. The need for specificity or explicitness was unnecessary, just like in 1170.

Oh, and ummm . . . .

http://www.redstate.com/2013/05/15/will-no-one-rid-me-of-this-turbulent-group/

With growing scrutiny of the role of tax-exempt groups in political campaigns, Congressional Republicans are pushing back against Democrats by warning about the possible misuse of the Internal Revenue Service to audit conservative groups….And the Republicans are also upset about an I.R.S. review requested by Senator Max Baucus, the Montana Democrat who leads the Finance Committee, into the political activities of tax-exempt groups. Such a review threatens to "chill the legitimate exercise of First Amendment rights," wrote two Republican senators, Orrin G. Hatch of Utah and Jon Kyl of Arizona, in a letter sent to the I.R.S. on Wednesday. ... Democrats dismissed the Republicans' complaints as groundless.

Ny Times, 2010 http://www.nytimes.c...tics/07irs.html

The Internal Revenue Service is caught in an election-year struggle between Democratic lawmakers pressing for a crackdown on nonprofit political groups and conservative organizations accusing the tax agency of conducting a politically charged witch hunt.

http://www.nytimes.c...ment-claim.html

Edited by Magox

Got a CNN email alert that the IRS has pinpointed two "rogue" employees in Cincinnati as being "principaly responsible" for "overly aggressive handling of tea party requests."

Yeah, okay.

I hear that they're a sister and brother team,

Ima Patsy & Zak (rificial) Lamb

sacrificiallamb.jpeg?w=271

All joking aside..............................this demonstrates that they have nothing but contempt for average Americans and their intelligence.

Got a CNN email alert that the IRS has pinpointed two "rogue" employees in Cincinnati as being "principaly responsible" for "overly aggressive handling of tea party requests."

Yeah, okay.

That simply isn't gonna fly.