Stephen Hawking boycotts major Israel conference

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After several changes in the story this apparently was Hawking’s statement, it’s not an embrace of the academic boycott movement, more the equivalent of refusing to cross a picket line, but it does support the claim that he withdrew from this conference on political grounds:

“I have received a number of emails from Palestinian academics. They are unanimous that I should respect the boycott. In view of this, I must withdraw from the conference. Had I attended I would have stated my opinion that the policy of the present Israeli government is likely to lead to disaster.”

After several changes in the story this apparently was Hawking’s statement, it’s not an embrace of the academic boycott movement, more the equivalent of refusing to cross a picket line, but it does support the claim that he withdrew from this conference on political grounds:

“I have received a number of emails from Palestinian academics. They are unanimous that I should respect the boycott. In view of this, I must withdraw from the conference. Had I attended I would have stated my opinion that the policy of the present Israeli government is likely to lead to disaster.”

That's just a smoke screen. He's been missing out on a lot of conventions lately. Just last week he was a no show at the National Council of Esthetician's little get together in Des Moines.

That's just a smoke screen. He's been missing out on a lot of conventions lately. Just last week he was a no show at the National Council of Esthetician's little get together in Des Moines.

The last time I saw him "speak" (not in person, it was a web video) he looked really bad. It seemed like he couldn't move more than his eyelids. I hope he's not on his way out. I'm pretty sure he's one of the smartest mofos that ever lived.

The last time I saw him "speak" (not in person, it was a web video) he looked really bad. It seemed like he couldn't move more than his eyelids. I hope he's not on his way out. I'm pretty sure he's one of the smartest mofos that ever lived.

The rest of the Estheticians aren't exactly enamored with him right now. Unless he's sick or something, there's no excuse.

Edited by 3rdnlng

This douche bag is now an "expert" on world politics in addition to being so smart that he knows there is no God? Lolololol. How does he explain GvG? :doh:

His hubrosity knows no bounds. If he is so damn smart why can't he invent a voice synthesizer that doesn't sound like a character on Lost in Space? I'll tell you why. Because this robot voice of his has been getting him laid for years.

This douche bag is now an "expert" on world politics in addition to being so smart that he knows there is no God? Lolololol. How does he explain GvG? :doh:

His hubrosity knows no bounds. If he is so damn smart why can't he invent a voice synthesizer that doesn't sound like a character on Lost in Space? I'll tell you why. Because this robot voice of his has been getting him laid for years.

Just try to imagine him talking dirty to his wife with that robot voice. :sick:

Hey, when I saw how he effed over the National Council of Estheticians, I lost all respect. Skin the mofo alive for all I care.

If Hawking is so smart, why does he moonlight on the VDOT AM Radio Traffic channel?

His dissertations on Quantum Physics are nothing compared to his descriptions of a backup at the 264 Downtown Tunnel and Berkley Bridge

Edited by /dev/null

If Hawking is so smart, why does he moonlight on the VDOT AM Radio Traffic channel?

His dissertations on Quantum Physics are nothing compared to his descriptions of a backup at the 264 Downtown Tunnel and Berkley Bridge

For some reason BFBF is enamored with him. I just don't understand it myself. I never thought the guy was even very smart. He made a bad political move in blowing off the Esthetician thingy, and shouldn't be cut any slack.

Eh, not really. He's a bit overrated. Honestly, if he didn't have ALS, you never would have heard of him. You've probably never heard of Yukawa, Bethe, Dirac, Tomononga, Gell-Mann, or Wheeler. All at least as smart as Hawking, if not smarter.

Which is not to say he's not brilliant, mind you. I'm just saying that you're an ignorant moron who lacks any perspective on the world.

Eh, not really. He's a bit overrated. Honestly, if he didn't have ALS, you never would have heard of him. You've probably never heard of Yukawa, Bethe, Dirac, Tomononga, Gell-Mann, or Wheeler. All at least as smart as Hawking, if not smarter.

Which is not to say he's not brilliant, mind you. I'm just saying that you're an ignorant moron who lacks any perspective on the world.

Next thing you'll be masquerading as DC Tomononga

For some reason BFBF is enamored with him. I just don't understand it myself. I never thought the guy was even very smart. He made a bad political move in blowing off the Esthetician thingy, and shouldn't be cut any slack.

The Estheticians should be cutting him some slack. It's not every day you land a guy like Hawking! ...you know, to come in a talk about skin care and ****. :flirt: :flirt:

Edited by Bigfatbillsfan

My guess would be Yukawa would be the person behind the name of the Yukawa potential. Bethe I believe German physicist. He taught at Cornell if I'm not mistaken. I think you meant to write Tomonaga, not Tomononga who was also a physicist. The other 4, no I've never heard of them. But considering that the 3 I did know are physicists I would gather that the rest are also.

Yes I may lack some perspective as to who is smarter than who in physics. But I'm also not trying to bull **** my way thru the thread like I do have perspective.

And maybe some of the other people you listed above were/are as smart or smarter than Hawking. That doesn't change my statement. Hawking is one of the smartest Mofos that has ever lived.

I don't know where he ranks in smartest people of all time, but it doesn't take a genius to know what Israel is doing is wrong/immoral/illegal

Yep, in fact I would say it takes little intelligence to believe that........................... :flirt:

I don't know where he ranks in smartest people of all time, but it doesn't take a genius to know what Israel is doing is wrong/immoral/illegal

I wonder if Stephen will return all that technology he's using developed by Israeli companies.

2 things:

1. Why do I care what Steven Hawkings' political position is on anything? I think we've learned all we need to know about the effectiveness of putting college professors in charge, without anybody from the real world along to ride shotgun: see Stimulus FAIL, and Obama Presidency in general. Rahm Emanuel was that voice (see: "That's F'ing Retarded"), but he was cast aside, so that Obama & company could go "full retard". :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6WHBO_Qc-Q

:lol:

2. I love how the Palestinians are the virtuous victims here. :lol: http://www.algemeiner.com/2013/05/09/palestinian-authority-leader-threatens-to-nuke-israel/

Deputy Secretary of the Fatah Central Committee and Chairman of the PA Olympic Committee Jibril Rajoub, when recently asked about “the negotiations game” with Israel on the Lebanese Al-Mayadeen television station, said, “I swear that if we had a nuke, we’d have used it this very morning",

That's the guy who runs the Olympic team saying that. JTSP: get a life, get a clue. You're not ever going to be right about this, not ever.