A new regime and special teams

Undoubtedly one of the most overlooked aspects in football is the 3rd phase of the game. By many coaches in all levels, special teams has utmost importance with game changing potential. In the midst of a new staff and morphed roster, I find one of the most interesting aspects to be special teams.

Any predictions in this phase?

Personally, I love that we added a kicker to compete and possibly replace Lindel.

I believe we have great speed and depth for special teams. With the right scheme, I think we can make some noise here. DO NOT OVERLOOK THIS ASPECT OF THE GAME. Blocked punts, missed field goals, returned kicks, etc. are moments which can define our season.

Thoughts?

As long as we have Carrington I'm good against FGs.

Our new young DBs, LBs, WRs should all contribute quite a bit on kick teams and return teams.

The new kicker will either push Lindell or take his reigns.

I, too, greatly value ST. However, while most are lauding much of our new coaching staff, at least on paper, our ST coach is seemingly a very weak hire. We'll see. Much is dependent on what the HC emphasizes (Levy, Jauron = great ST. Wade & Chan, no so much)

Two kinds of special teams players to me, obviously. The skill guys (kickers and returners) and the meat and potatoes guys (blockers and tacklers)

We have good to great return guys in McLuvin as PR and Brad Smith as KR (if we keep Smith, which I think we will). Goodwin could be fun as a back-up to Smith.

P Powell had a decent year and should get better. K Hopkins probably beats out Lindell with the new regime and for salary reasons unless his nerves as a rookie lets his accuracy down. I don't see it.

The good thing is the new regime, which emphasizes headhunters on defense and speed on offense, has the kind of guys that are great for ST. Duke and Meeks, Dowtin and Alonzo, Goodwin and Da'Rick, Gragg, etc.

Two kinds of special teams players to me, obviously. The skill guys (kickers and returners) and the meat and potatoes guys (blockers and tacklers)

We have good to great return guys in McLuvin as PR and Brad Smith as KR (if we keep Smith, which I think we will). Goodwin could be fun as a back-up to Smith.

P Powell had a decent year and should get better. K Hopkins probably beats out Lindell with the new regime and for salary reasons unless his nerves as a rookie lets his accuracy down. I don't see it.

The good thing is the new regime, which emphasizes headhunters on defense and speed on offense, has the kind of guys that are great for ST. Duke and Meeks, Dowtin and Alonzo, Goodwin and Da'Rick, Gragg, etc.

a valid point - a defense around speed, versatility and intensity couple with an offense that wants explosive plays does feed nicely into special teams success much better than a grind it out sort of roster does.

Glad that we hve the players we need for this phase. However, scheme could be crippling to us.

on the bright side, hes traditionally done fantastic in year one and spiraled out of control from there, if i recall correctly... so i have high hopes short term!

Not real confident on special teams this year especially with new coach. If he had been hired by Chan last year head coach would have been lambasted by media and fans but because he is a sort-of fresh college coach he doesn't. Guess rating will drop significantly.

I, too, greatly value ST. However, while most are lauding much of our new coaching staff, at least on paper, our ST coach is seemingly a very weak hire. We'll see. Much is dependent on what the HC emphasizes (Levy, Jauron = great ST. Wade & Chan, no so much)

The bolded is the best point made in this topic.

The special teams coach can only play the players that the head coach allows him to play.

The special teams coach can only practice as much as the head coach allows him to practice.

The special teams coach can only make special teams as much of a priority as the head coach allows him to make it.

There are probably lots of good special teams coaches that were set up for failure by their head coach (Wade Phillips anyone?).

The bolded is the best point made in this topic.

The special teams coach can only play the players that the head coach allows him to play.

The special teams coach can only practice as much as the head coach allows him to practice.

The special teams coach can only make special teams as much of a priority as the head coach allows him to make it.

There are probably lots of good special teams coaches that were set up for failure by their head coach (Wade Phillips anyone?).

Marrone has said that he is going to oversee every aspect of the special teams the way he will the offense and the defense.

Marrone has said that he is going to oversee every aspect of the special teams the way he will the offense and the defense.

While one could dismiss that as rhetoric, I think Marrone is a real straight shooter so I definitely take him at his word.

And I think we can all agree that Gailey didn't give a second thought to the defense so it's refreshing to have a coach who will meet ALL of his responsibilities.