Interesting article on Favre's "deification"

I have a lot of respect for Favre. I don't remember ever seeing a game quite as dramatic as the Monday nighter after his father died. It was truly inspired football at its best, and when I think of Favre, I think of that performance long before I think of his battle with Vicoden.

That said, however, if you really want to measure how much leeway he is given, consider the one boneheaded play he made last night that many would argue cost them momentum.

Third and six at the Vikings seven, Favre scrambles and then opts to run for it. He gets four yards beyond the line of scrimmage, is about to get nailed by three or four defenders, and he underhands the ball to a receiver in the endzone. Illegal pass. Five yard penalty. Missed field goal ensues.

Had he just kept his head about him, they would have been kicking that field goal from the two. Any other quarterback would get ridiculed by the announcers, but since it was Favre, it was kinda funny...almost cute.

If that were, for example, a Bledsoe screw up followed by a Lindell missed field goal, people would have burned the Ralph down.

200190[/snapback]

Yah... What is with GB Qb's and knowing where the line of scrimmage is?... :D0:)

Favre is clearly a HOF player and one of the all time best...but dont you all think he is on a pedstal partly because of the team he plays for and its history? If Brett Favre had the SAME exact career and accomplishments in New Orleans for example, he would not be viewed the same way.

I hate that everyone overlooks the fact that Farve was a complete jerk when he was suffering from alcoholism and addiction to prescription drugs. It's great he got over it and all - but what a whiny B word to have got to that place in the first place. NFL QB's have it so hard after all :D.

He is forever demeaned in my eyes for that episode. Great QB and everything, but does NOT deserve the arse licking he gets.

199973[/snapback]

The guy has dealt with almost all of his issues out in the public. I often wonder if we had to live our lives like these guys how many of us would be like Peyton Manning and how many of us would be like Jeff George.

I hate that everyone overlooks the fact that Farve was a complete jerk when he was suffering from alcoholism and addiction to prescription drugs. It's great he got over it and all - but what a whiny B word to have got to that place in the first place. NFL QB's have it so hard after all :D.

He is forever demeaned in my eyes for that episode. Great QB and everything, but does NOT deserve the arse licking he gets.

199973[/snapback]

Yep. Like I wrote yesterday,

great QB, but a self-serving POS.

http://slate.msn.com/id/2112019/

The missing word in the article, but the word crucial to it, is "race."

199891[/snapback]

I don't buy that race has anything to do about it. ESPN and the rest of the media just hypes up certain players even when they are clearly past their prime or not performing up to their reputation.

Warren Sapp anyone?

A guy who shaves his head to make his wife feel more comfortable about losing her hair is self serving?

200217[/snapback]

To elaborate a little more (I had to do some work :D ),

what was more important to him: the symbolic act for his wife,

or making sure the media knew about it?

I'm not really sure...

The guy has dealt with almost all of his issues out in the public. I often wonder if we had to live our lives like these guys how many of us would be like Peyton Manning and how many of us would be like Jeff George.

200209[/snapback]

I'd probably be more like Todd Marijuanavich.

To elaborate a little more (I had to do some work :D ),

what was more important to him: the symbolic act for his wife,

or making sure the media knew about it?

I'm not really sure...

200256[/snapback]

Lol, if the media asked "Hey Brett why the new hair cut?" what is he suppose to say? I think my wife would be proud if I told the world I did it to show support for her. Lord knows I'd get some action. 0:)

Would that make me self-serving?

Lol, if the media asked "Hey Brett why the new hair cut?" what is he suppose to say? I think my wife would be proud if I told the world I did it to show support for her. Lord knows I'd get some action.  0:)

Would that make me self-serving?

200268[/snapback]

I don't know, he just seems very disingenuous to me.

If I was on Around The Horn, I'm selling. :D

I noticed that Favre's pal Peter King is still calling for the Bills to Dump Bledsoe In his MMQB column today

15. (tie) Buffalo (9-7). I think the Bills need to think long and hard about whether Drew Bledsoe will be their opening-day 2005 quarterback.

Last week he calle him "grim, dinosaur-like" and "too old."

OTOH, Green Bay ends up with just one more win than the Bills, and Favre looked awful yesterday and in their game against J-ville for example. Does King call him names or tell him to hang it up? Oh no, of course not. He just says yesterday's game was a "stinker" for his buddy Brett, and quotes Favre's post-game comments.

It's alot easier to pile on someone when they aren't your long-distance phone friend.

MMQB

I noticed that Favre's pal Peter King is still calling for the Bills to Dump Bledsoe In his MMQB column today

Last week he calle him "grim, dinosaur-like" and "too old."

OTOH, Green Bay ends up with just one more win than the Bills, and Favre looked awful yesterday and in their game against J-ville for example. Does King call him names or tell him to hang it up? Oh no, of course not. He just says yesterday's game was a "stinker" for his buddy Brett, and quotes Favre's post-game comments.

It's alot easier to pile on someone when they aren't your long-distance phone friend.

MMQB

200340[/snapback]

What I find funny about his rankings is how he ties Buffalo with Miami at 15. Seriously, does the Pittsburgh lost really make St. Louis and Seattle better teams? I doubt it.

Guest BackInDaDay
I have a lot of respect for Favre. I don't remember ever seeing a game quite as dramatic as the Monday nighter after his father died. It was truly inspired football at its best, and when I think of Favre, I think of that performance long before I think of his battle with Vicoden.

That said, however, if you really want to measure how much leeway he is given, consider the one boneheaded play he made last night that many would argue cost them momentum.

Third and six at the Vikings seven, Favre scrambles and then opts to run for it. He gets four yards beyond the line of scrimmage, is about to get nailed by three or four defenders, and he underhands the ball to a receiver in the endzone. Illegal pass. Five yard penalty. Missed field goal ensues.

Had he just kept his head about him, they would have been kicking that field goal from the two. Any other quarterback would get ridiculed by the announcers, but since it was Favre, it was kinda funny...almost cute.

If that were, for example, a Bledsoe screw up followed by a Lindell missed field goal, people would have burned the Ralph down.

200190[/snapback]

Took the words right out of my mouth, LA (pretty gross expression, now that I think about it :D ).

That MNF game is how 'legends' are born. One of our fellow mortals, with their frail humanity exposed like an open wound, respond to a daunting challenge in heroic fashion.

That said, I was thinking the very same thing when Favre made that mistake down at the Viking 3 yd line. From a football standpoint, he made multiple mistakes on the same play, which started with not knowing where the LOS was.

My 15 year-old son is a HS QB, and huge Favre fan. I told him that Favre's recklessness with the ball is costing his team. And as I'm explaining myself, I see the same goofy, embarassed smile I see on the faces of the little kids' I've coached, when they did something stupid.

That's the refreshing charm you speak of. Who can't forgive mistakes made by youthful exuberence? It's like a tap on our shoulders, reminding us that these are grown men playing the same game we've all played as children.

Of course, our expectations are much higher for those who play these games in our stead (who of us doesn't wish they were talented enough to be playing in their place). We want those, who put on our team's uniform, to give their best efforts for us, the fans. We want them to win. So perhaps all of the media attention Favre receives may be less to do with his ability to win games, but his ability to take us back to the place where sport is an innocent activity, as much about the failures, as the successes.