Bill Polian's top 4 qualities in a franchise QB

Fine analysis.

Now...let me ask you this:

Do we want a guy who arm strength is, per your work, inconclusive?

Wouldn't we want a guy who we KNOW has a good arm? It doesn't have to be a great one(cue the Jeff Geoge, or more recently, Jemarcus Russel, meme), but at least, by watching one game, don't we want to come away with "there's no doubt the guy can throw"?

And...I agree with Kelly the Dog, if we've learned to speak Nixley properly, then the above means: "Ain't no way in hell".

> Do we want a guy who arm strength is, per your work, inconclusive?

I would hope the Bills have researched Barkley more thoroughly than I have. For example: in their meeting with him (or private workout, or whatever it was), they should have handed him a football, and told him to throw it as far as he could. If the ball travels 70 yards, there's nothing to worry about. If it travels 35 yards, you worry.

> Wouldn't we want a guy who we KNOW has a good arm?

Depends. If there was a QB without any question marks, then sure, you take him. Unfortunately, there isn't a QB like that in this draft. And if there were, he'd be long gone by the time the Bills' pick came up.

Anything the Bills do will be a risk. There are serious concerns about Geno Smith's decision-making and information processing speed. In addition, he is not nearly as accurate as his gaudy stats would seem to suggest. I'm more pro-Nassib than most, but even with a guy like him there are concerns about his lack of touch on short passes. A number of people have said that none of the QBs in this class are worth taking, and that the Bills should wait until next year to get their guy. That strategy also involves risk. What if the Bills go 9-7 or even 10-6? What if they don't have the draft position needed to take one of the elite prospects people are coveting?

If Barkley fails in the NFL, it probably won't be due to a lack of touch, accuracy, or decision-making. That right there takes a lot of would-be risks off the table. If he's available at 8th overall, then you don't have to worry about whether your draft position in 2014 will be good enough to get the QB you want. The only risk left is arm strength. Reddogblitz saw Barkley throw a completion which traveled 45 yards in the air. If that represents the very limit of Barkley's strength, then that's a concern. But if he had an extra 10 yards of range in reserve, then that would be enough, considering his other qualities, to justify pulling the trigger.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:I have a lot of respect for Bill Polian. But he isn't infallible. Last year when Russell Wilson was drafted he made the point, and emphasized it, saying " let it be understood that Russell Wilson was drafted to be a backup. He is simply a backup. That's all he will ever be."

The trap for many analysts is that understandably they have a tendency to focus on what a player can't do instead of focusing on what they can do very well. The key for success for any player, regardless of position, is to put the player in a system that best suits their skill set. There is no doubt that if Barkley was placed in an offense that emphasized the verticle game, like the Al Davis Raiders' offense, he would predictably fail. However, in a WCO or even a short and quick passing offense that the Pats play Barkley would do well because he is suited to that type of offense.

Doug Marrone and Hackett have strong beliefs on the type of offense that they will run in Buffalo. If the Bills draft Barkley or Nassib it will be because they strongly believe that one of these qbs can successfully run their offense. If the Bills have a chance to draft Geno Smith and they decline to do so it is not necessarily a reflection that they don't believe that he can't do well in the NFL .It will be because they don't believe he is as suited to run their offense compared to the qb they end up selecting. .

according to PFT...Polian believes Landry Jones to be the best QB in this years draft...I'm tempted to believe Polian got the Manning pick right by luck and not by any skill in evaluating players...not the guy i would use to pick my next QB

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/19/bill-polian-says-landry-jones-is-the-best-qb-in-the-draft/

Doug Marrone and Hackett have strong beliefs on the type of offense that they will run in Buffalo. If the Bills draft Barkley or Nassib it will be because they strongly believe that one of these qbs can successfully run their offense.

I thought Marrone was going to fit his offense around his talent?

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/Doug-Marrone-comments-on-Nathaniel-Hackett/5261b0dc-b3a7-4172-8f11-1b812cb2b7d6

“We will soon be in the process of looking at film of each player on our roster and his particular skill set. We will develop an offense that bests suits those skills sets.”

Wouldn't this indicate he would choose the best QB and fit his offense to said QB's strengths?

Unless he already designed his offense to use last year's talent? That doesn't make sense.