Rapaport: don't expect Byrd to show up to workouts

Unfortunately, there is a good chance the Bills will eventually lose their extremely talented, young Free Safety.

This is not the fault of the Bills FO, but rather Eugene Parker.

I'm not sure where the relationship fell apart, if it was the Jason Peters deal or before that, but Parker will NOT make it easy for the Bills to re-sign his clients. I have no problem with the Bills over-paying Byrd a bit to keep him around. A talented FS such as Byrd can be a game-changer (not so much for a LG). But it takes two to tango, and Parker never seems like he likes to dance with the Bills.

This brings me back to my hatred for how much power agents have over the NFL. They can solely shape or destroy franchises.

Bills had issues before with this agent. They would not work on one player's contract before they got extension for another - the players contracts should be independent. I was a GM and had two FAs with equal skill but one had Parker as agent I would take one without Parker as agent and state to press it was reason for decision.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eugene Parker is also Tashard Choice's agent. He loves signing players to the Bills!

Parker is one of the best agents in the business, ever, and of course he is tough. That's how he became one of the very best.

Some of Parker's clients include:

If you're worried that Byrd hasn't signed his tag by mid April, you should try getting a life. It's like a big room of whining women in here, save for a few.

Byrd has created more turnovers than Ed Reed did in his first 4 years. But that's not good enough for some.

IMO, Byrd is likely done in Buffalo. I really think it's more of an issue on the Bills end though. Byrd is a "soft" safety who doesn't "bring" it like Reed, Polomalu, Young, or a Rodney Harrison. That's the type of safety Pettine's defense deploys and Byrd does not personify the head hunting missle that is needed to make Pettine's defense work.

Byrd is a good safety, but let's be real about this. He's not outstanding. He's been part and parcel of one of the worst 4 years of defense in Bills history. He's contributed to that, as have the other players on the defense.

I believe the one and only reason the Bills franchised him was to garner a draft pick or two. I don't believe he ever figured into their plans going forward. I've not heard of one team that has interest in him. That leads me to believe he may not be as highly regarded around the league as the fans and the press believe he is. He may be valued by many in the $5-6m range but not much more than that. Please.... someone, convince me that some team will give up a first or second round draft pick to the Bills for the right to negotiate a long term contract in the $7-8m range with Byrd. I don't see it even in a good dream.

Furthermore, if Byrd does play out his 1 yr. in Buffalo, because of his incompatibility with the new defense he could risk playing time while the Bills gradually work in newer and younger safeties. I mean, this draft is said to be deep in safeties... especially of the physical kind. So, in essence, Byrd's market value could easily end up going down significantly as a result of that. And the possibility of the Bills bringing in Laron Landry for a year or two (I think he's still available the last I heard) to bridge any gap is also in play.

I don't mean to be a killjoy. But I just don't see Byrd in the Bills plans and I don't see Byrd making big money with another team.

Can someone convince me otherwise? Are there really teams that want Byrd? If so, who are they and would they actually compensate both the Bills and Byrd?

Bills had issues before with this agent. They would not work on one player's contract before they got extension for another - the players contracts should be independent. I was a GM and had two FAs with equal skill but one had Parker as agent I would take one without Parker as agent and state to press it was reason for decision.

That's a great idea. Make an enemy publicly of someone who will undoubtedly represent numerous players in the future that you DO want/need. Brilliant.

GM's can lowball marginal or maybe even average players. But the top players with the top agents have the power and can't be steamrolled by GM's. That's just the nature of the game.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Can you blame the guy? I mean he plays his ass off for a losing team , then when its time to get paid they franchise him.

He deserves a long term deal IMO. This might get ugly before its done.

If he is franchised, he is "getting paid"...

I realize, players want long-term deals...but it is very possible, that franchising a player is simply a means of buying more time to get a long trem deal done. It may not seem fair, but the guys are hardly going to go hungry, especially if they are franchised. What so few of them seem to realize (and it may not be fair, but it is fact the way the CBA is set up) the longer the deal they sign, the more money the contract is worth, the less likely they see that money, and it only helps to ensure that if they are on a bad team that doesn't win much, they are increasing the chance that things will remain that way...so they may get more money for a year or two, but in the end, they will not likely be a lot better off.

Also, I realize I was critical of Byrd earlier in this thread and maybe I stated it poorly. I like Byrd, would love to see him stay....but, I think his worth to the Bills, in their current mess, is a little overrated. I know, we would love to keep good players...but in the NFL time is money...and the Bills have financial considerations (self-imposed or not) that other NFL teams aren't concerned with. I also think, sometimes, when a guy becomes the "best free agent safety (or whatever position) available" that tends to get translated as "the best" overall.

Honestly, all this is speculation at this point,,, until we hear from Byrd (or more likely his agent) we really don't know his intentions.

Edited by Buftex

This may have posted elsewhere and I missed it. An article on the Bills wanting to sign Jarius to a long term deal.

"by giving Byrd the franchise tag, the Bills essentially gave the safety a one-year contract offer worth $6.9 million. Byrd does not have to accept the offer and is free to negotiate with other teams. The Bills have the right to match any offer Byrd receives or get two first-round picks in return as compensation from any team that signs Byrd."

For the full article, go here:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9179659/buffalo-bills-hope-sign-jairus-byrd-long-term-deal

No team will give two 1st rd picks for Byrd when they can draft a good safety for much less money. I'am surprised Tampa doesn't trade up in the draft to get Milliner, 4.35, 6', instead of going after Revis coming off injury and wants $16 million a year.

Whoa ,maybe we could use Milliner, with Williams now a safety and unknown if Byrd can be signed long term.

Edited by independent

This may have posted elsewhere and I missed it. An article on the Bills wanting to sign Jarius to a long term deal.

"by giving Byrd the franchise tag, the Bills essentially gave the safety a one-year contract offer worth $6.9 million. Byrd does not have to accept the offer and is free to negotiate with other teams. The Bills have the right to match any offer Byrd receives or get two first-round picks in return as compensation from any team that signs Byrd."

For the full article, go here:

http://espn.go.com/n...-long-term-deal

I know Byrd is considered good, but would anyone give up two #1 picks for him?

I know Byrd is considered good, but would anyone give up two #1 picks for him?

Probably not, and the Bills FO letting him flounder is probably to prove just that to Byrd and his Agent.

I'd love to see us lock Byrd into a long term deal, and I dont even mind overpaying him a bit, but the longer they sit out there with no other offers, the more reasonable Parker will be in negotiations.

If Byrd's motive is to get a long term deal with the bills, then I'am glad he did not sign the franchise tag.

If I am not mistaken, he can sign the franchise tag, and can negotiate a new long-term deal at the same time.

Probably not, and the Bills FO letting him flounder is probably to prove just that to Byrd and his Agent.

I'd love to see us lock Byrd into a long term deal, and I dont even mind overpaying him a bit, but the longer they sit out there with no other offers, the more reasonable Parker will be in negotiations.

I don't know if it is just a case of just "Buddy being Buddy" or if it some sort of message being sent, but in the AP article posted today, Buddy says:

''There's been some contact and we're making an effort to try to get a long-term deal done with Jairus,'' Nix said. ''But you know - and I don't mean this in a bad way - I haven't given it much thought. I don't mean that we're not interested, because we certainly need him and eventually he'll probably be here. But there's nothing we can do except try to get a contract done. If it doesn't work, then the ball's in his court. He comes when basically he gets ready.''

To me, that sounds like posturing, like Nix knows there is going to be some turbulence before/if a deal does get done. "We'd like to keep him here, but I am not losing sleep over it..."

Just not with other teams I believe.

Yes, that is the way I understand it. So, if he is declining to sign the tender, that feels, to me, like he either wants a lot more money than anything the Bills are talking about, or he wants to force a trade...

Just not with other teams I believe.

Right. He can negotiate with another team up until he signs his tender. He can negotiate with the Bills any time.

One thing I don't know, is whether an agent will negotiate a little with other teams right now, even if they have no intention of signing Byrd to an offer sheet, just to see what they would be willing to pay if Parker negotiated a trade, perhaps for next year should he become a FA, or to better ascertain his market value, somewhat circumventing the no tampering rule. Not knowing at all, I would assume they may in some cases.