Trying to figure out Buffalo's draft.

If looking at any of Buffalo's pre-draft visits can be a precursor to what they are thinking then there should only be a couple of scenarios that they considering. Let's go review the players/positions that have visited.

QB-Buffalo so far has looked at 1st rd possibilities (Smith and Barkley) to late rd prospects (Tuel and Scott). Bottom line is Buffalo has looked at them all and they are suppose to. If, and I do mean if, someone like Smith were to slide to them then I could believe that Buffalo would take him if they really think that he is the franchise QB but I don't think that Smith makes it us and don't believe that they would take any others with the first pick at #8.

WR-Justin Hunter looks like the highest rated WR prospect so far and he's slated to be the earliest a 2nd rounder.

OLB/DE-The Bills have had Jones and Mingo in for visits and while they could be our top pick I'd like to think that Dion Jordan or Ezekiel Ansah would be our first choice if either one of them were to be there when we pick.

CB-Although we could stand to use someone like Dee Milliner or possibly even Xavier Rhodes, we haven't had any in for a visit so far so I'm not too sure how much the Bills value this position. It actually looks like if they have any pressing need or interest it seems to be with the SS/FS position(s).

SS/FS-Here is where there seems to be some stronger interest. I'm not so sure though that the Bills would really go after another S at the #8 slot again (see *Donte Whitner). S Kenny Vaccaro has been in for a visit but I still don't see Buffalo taking a S with their first pick.

OL-Warmack or Cooper? Would the Bills possibly take a G at the #8 spot??! Sorry, I find that hard to believe. I know that some of the national pundits have Buffalo taking one of these 2 but I think that Buffalo believes that they have viable solutions at this position, regardless of Levitre leaving. What was it, a combination of 5 different Gs last year? No, I don't see it, at least not with a pick as high as ours is.

DT-Well, I suppose it could happen, especially if Star Lotulelei, Sharrif Floyd or possibly even Sheldon Richardson were available when we pick but c'mon, I don't know about all this. I'll say this, possible but not probable.

And then there is the old trade down. Not a bad idea actually and I wouldn't be against it if it were to net us enough picks. How about this for a novel idea. What if Buffalo were to trade down and then trade out of the 1st round altogether? Gather enough picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds of this year's draft while they finally trade out their traded down 1st rd pick for someone's 1st rder for next year.

Example:

Buffalo trades with Tampa for their #13 and #43 (2nd rder) and their 2014 4th rder. In turn Dallas and their diabolical leader Jerrah are desperate for some S, interior OL and possibly along the DL help. Trade down with them for their 1st (#18), 2nd (#47), 3 (#80) and their next year's first, whatever that may be. He has a veteran offense and he knows it, time is running out a little bit for some of his key players. Furthermore Dallas is having a hard time keeping Romo upright. They could and should trade out 4 of their 5 OL. Having a chance to draft a player like G Jonathan Cooper while they take Texas' S Kenny Vaccaro would be a huge coup for them. Doesn't hurt that Vaccaro is a homeboy also, the fans would really eat it up.

When the smoke clears Buffalo would be loaded with 2nd (#41, #43, and #47) and 3rd rd (#71 and #80) picks while having two 1st round picks and an extra 4th rder in next year's draft. This would surely secure one of the top rated QBs in next year's draft.

Ok gentlemen, ignite the flamethrowers, I'm ready!

The Bills have had 23/30 pre-draft visits completed. The fact that there's yet to be a single OL make a visit tells me they probably aren't going to use a pick on the selection in round 1 or 2.

If i had to bet, i'd say that we're looking at a QB/WR or WR/QB in rounds 1 and 2.

The Bills have had 23/30 pre-draft visits completed. The fact that there's yet to be a single OL make a visit tells me they probably aren't going to use a pick on the selection in round 1 or 2.

If i had to bet, i'd say that we're looking at a QB/WR or WR/QB in rounds 1 and 2.

I'm kinda thinking LB/WR with the first 2. If they trade down which I really think they'll be trying to do, then I think they'll go LB/QB/WR. I just can't see the Bills going anything but DE/LB at 8 with all the great players there at that point and the lack of any top QB/WR's. The time to grab a QB or a WR is late first or early 2nd.

Trading down in the first would make a lot of sense for Buffalo - but to predict that happening is wishful thinking, as Nix has shown an almost inability to get fancy with trades.

I think Buffalo goes QB, OLB, WR, or G/T with the first pick. There'll be ten or more guys, probably, available at 8 who would seriously help Buffalo out. I'm really curious to see this draft unfold. We've got two units - defense and offense - and two new coaches, and holes on both sides.

Defense has room to upgrade at ILB, SS, and maybe CB/OLB. I'd say ILB is the only real need; as we could get by with the rest of the defense, barring injuries. However, Ogletree is the top ILB, and I don't know if he's all that much better than two or three linebackers that'll still be there in the 2nd.

Offense has need at QB, G, TE, and WR (2). We are going to need a TE because Chandler is probably not going to be ready for the beginning of the season. However, I really doubt they go TE until rounds 3 or 4. There'll be a few awesome G prospects at 8, but does that outweigh WR - of which, at 8, we'd probably have our pick of all the WR's coming out. And, of course, there's QB. If they are sold on a particular QB's ability to be a franchise guy, it'd be hard for Buffalo to risk waiting - and, I don't think they would, unless they're comfortable waiting until next year to seriously add a Franchise caliber QB.

So, my guess for our first pick is QB or WR. I think by the end of round 4 we have a QB, WR, TE, and LB.

Anybody see Barkley talking shop, drawing up plays, and discussions progressions with Gruden recently?? If you did then you noticed what Gruden noticed.............and that is that Barkley is ready to shine in the NFL. My two cents is that the Bills feel like their greatest needs are at QB, WR, ILB, OLB, and CB. Searcy will be our starting SS. I expect the Bills to try to trade out of the #8 overall spot because they need to fill all five needs mentioned just to be competitive this year and no team wants to go into a season without some type of real hope. We picked up Kolb so that we don't have to select a QB early. I think the Bills could end up with two R1 and two R2 picks plus a R3, R5, and R6 when all is said and done. That would allow them to make the following selections: R1a - OLB (pass rusher), R1b - WR, R2a - QB (Barkley would be my choice), R2b - CB, R3 - ILB, R5 - TE, R6 - WR. Then they pick up vet FAs at OG, TE, WR, LB, S.

Trading down in the first would make a lot of sense for Buffalo - but to predict that happening is wishful thinking, as Nix has shown an almost inability to get fancy with trades.

I think Buffalo goes QB, OLB, WR, or G/T with the first pick. There'll be ten or more guys, probably, available at 8 who would seriously help Buffalo out. I'm really curious to see this draft unfold. We've got two units - defense and offense - and two new coaches, and holes on both sides.

Defense has room to upgrade at ILB, SS, and maybe CB/OLB. I'd say ILB is the only real need; as we could get by with the rest of the defense, barring injuries. However, Ogletree is the top ILB, and I don't know if he's all that much better than two or three linebackers that'll still be there in the 2nd.

Offense has need at QB, G, TE, and WR (2). We are going to need a TE because Chandler is probably not going to be ready for the beginning of the season. However, I really doubt they go TE until rounds 3 or 4. There'll be a few awesome G prospects at 8, but does that outweigh WR - of which, at 8, we'd probably have our pick of all the WR's coming out. And, of course, there's QB. If they are sold on a particular QB's ability to be a franchise guy, it'd be hard for Buffalo to risk waiting - and, I don't think they would, unless they're comfortable waiting until next year to seriously add a Franchise caliber QB.

So, my guess for our first pick is QB or WR. I think by the end of round 4 we have a QB, WR, TE, and LB.

See for me a plug and play guard (Warmack) immediately makes this line better and a strong running game stronger. A WR at 8 has a steeper learning curve and there are no elites that warrant #8 in my opinion

Anybody see Barkley talking shop, drawing up plays, and discussions progressions with Gruden recently?? If you did then you noticed what Gruden noticed.............and that is that Barkley is ready to shine in the NFL. My two cents is that the Bills feel like their greatest needs are at QB, WR, ILB, OLB, and CB. Searcy will be our starting SS. I expect the Bills to try to trade out of the #8 overall spot because they need to fill all five needs mentioned just to be competitive this year and no team wants to go into a season without some type of real hope. We picked up Kolb so that we don't have to select a QB early. I think the Bills could end up with two R1 and two R2 picks plus a R3, R5, and R6 when all is said and done. That would allow them to make the following selections: R1a - OLB (pass rusher), R1b - WR, R2a - QB (Barkley would be my choice), R2b - CB, R3 - ILB, R5 - TE, R6 - WR. Then they pick up vet FAs at OG, TE, WR, LB, S.

I think there are a number of talented QB prospects in this draft but the most finished product is Barkley. I would say he is the prospect most likely to take a team to the playoffs as a rookie. Mentally, he is a professional QB right now. His arm strength is a weakness, but if he can get the ball to that spot, he can get it there accurately. He didn't throw a lot of those "deep outs" that really separate the big time arms in the NFL, but he can drop it in a bucket from 30-40 yards out. His range is the same as his distance. This isn't a Ryan Fitzpatrick scattergun or a Chad Pennington who couldn't heave a "hail mary" 40 yards into the endzone.

I would take him at #8 and if he doesn't transition well to the NFL, then take another QB next year. One of the things that stands out with him as opposed to the other QB's in this draft is that he just consistently puts all the routine throws on the money. It just looks easy.....which it should be for an NFL QB. Guys like Geno, EJ, Bray, Glennon, Wilson.....these guys have big arms but they are very inconsistent on the easy stuff.

Agree, Glenn. The Bucs will get the Jests to cave and they end up swapping firsts and maybe a 2nd or something next year.

I also think the Bills will make at least 6 selections. A WR in round 2 is not much better then a round 3 guy. I would not mind LB/TE. We could get the second or third best TE in the 2nd round.

I think there are a number of talented QB prospects in this draft but the most finished product is Barkley. I would say he is the prospect most likely to take a team to the playoffs as a rookie. Mentally, he is a professional QB right now. His arm strength is a weakness, but if he can get the ball to that spot, he can get it there accurately. He didn't throw a lot of those "deep outs" that really separate the big time arms in the NFL, but he can drop it in a bucket from 30-40 yards out. His range is the same as his distance. This isn't a Ryan Fitzpatrick scattergun or a Chad Pennington who couldn't heave a "hail mary" 40 yards into the endzone.

I would take him at #8 and if he doesn't transition well to the NFL, then take another QB next year. One of the things that stands out with him as opposed to the other QB's in this draft is that he just consistently puts all the routine throws on the money. It just looks easy.....which it should be for an NFL QB. Guys like Geno, EJ, Bray, Glennon, Wilson.....these guys have big arms but they are very inconsistent on the easy stuff.

Yeah - Barkley is my 1st choice at QB, too. Personally, I feel the rest of the NFL has Barkley ahead of Smith, with the exception of teams that want to implement a read option type element. I agree with all of it; he's smart, he's mature, he's playing for the right reasons, his ''weakness'' isn't even really a weakness - as far as I'm concerned, I've watched maybe 10 games of his, and he can hit guys accurately at 40 yards. This guy is very personable, too - he'll make friends and win over a locker room. I see Barkley as an elite QB, in the mold of a Brady, or even like Brees. I just don't think Buffalo could pass on him, even at 8.

I'm baffled by the mock drafts I've seen lately that have Barkley going in the 2nd and even 3rd rounds. That is nuts. He isn't going to make it out of the 1st round, and I've been hoping that there ARE NFL teams that actually do have Barkley rated as a 2nd rounder, and behind Smith, because I'm hoping he'll be there for us!

I have one of two scenarios that I would like to see the Bills pull off and in both cases the first 3 picks are the same.

Exhibit A

1st rd #8-DE Ezekiel Ansah

2nd rd #41-OL Kyle Long

3rd rd #71-CB Darius Slay

4th rd #105-QB Zac Dysert

5th rd #143-WR Aaron Mellette

6th rd #177 -TE Mike Shanahan

Exhibit B

2nd rd #41-OL Kyle Long

4th rd #105-WR Kenny Stills

5th rd #143-TE Jake Stoneburner

6th rd #177-QB Brad Sorenson

Who knows, Buffalo probably won't even draft one of these guys but it's who I like.

I have one of two scenarios that I would like to see the Bills pull off and in both cases the first 3 picks are the same.

Exhibit A

2nd rd #41-OL Kyle Long

4th rd #105-QB Zac Dysert

5th rd #143-WR Aaron Mellette

6th rd #177 -TE Mike Shanahan

Exhibit B

2nd rd #41-OL Kyle Long

4th rd #105-WR Kenny Stills

5th rd #143-TE Jake Stoneburner

6th rd #177-QB Brad Sorenson

Who knows, Buffalo probably won't even draft one of these guys but it's who I like.

I like those first two picks - my first round pick preferences are Ansah , Johnson, Jordan, Lotulelei, Geno Smith, Warmack, in that order

Ughhhh

That's what I thought, too.

This team has had a hole at Qb for 20 years, and a defense that was one of the worst I've ever seen, and people want to pick a guard with the 8th pick?!

Of course, I know they won't do something so foolish. But if they do, I ain't watching this team until the gm is GONE.

I just can't see us not taking a QB in the first round. The buzz on NFL radio has several teams picking their QB in round 2. We'll see. As far as Tampa, the word is they definitely are trading for Revis and should happen the Tuesday prior to the draft as they'll mandate a physical before the trade.

If healthy the Revis trade is going to put the Bucs into contention. They picked up Goldson and with Revis, they'll fix their pass defense issue. I'm still a Bills fan first, but live in Tampa and root for those guys as well.

If anyone plans to come to Bills/Bucs game this year in Tampa, we should hook up for a beer. I'll be there.